Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Oct 6th Has Been Changed To Oct 5th

I AM SO ANGRY WITH MY DOCTOR. MY SURGERY WAS GOING TO BE ON OCTOBER 6TH. HIS NURSE CALLED ME TODAY AND TOLD ME THAT I NEED TO PICK OCTOBER 7TH OR OCTOBER 5TH BECAUSE MY DOCTOR IS GOING ON VACATION. THEY SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME A WHILE AGO BEACAUSE NOW MY JOB IS UPSET BECAUSE THERE IS OTHER PEOPLE THAT HAVE ASKED FOR THOSE DAYS OFF FROM WORK. AND MY HUSBAND HAS TO CHANGE HIS DAYS OFF DUE TO THIS. THE PROBLEM WITH HIM ASKING FOR DAYS OFF IS HARD. THEY GAVE HIM A HARD TIME ABOUT TRING TO GET THE 6TH OFF. I DON'T THINK THEY ARE GOING TO GIVE HIM THE DAYS OFF. NOW I AM LEFT GOING INTO THE HOSPITAL BY MYSELF WITHOUT ANY FRIENDS OR FAMILY DUE TO THE CHANGE. I WANT TO CRY. MY JOB WANTS TO TRY AND FIRE ME BECAUSE I DIDN'T GIVE THEM ENOUGH NOTICE AND I AM NEW. THEY DON'T THINK I SHOULD BE REQUESTING DAYS OFF WITH ME BEING THERE FOR A FEW MONTHS. THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND. THIS IS SOMTHING THAT I HAVE TO DO TO SAVE MY LIFE. IF I DON'T GET IT DONE I COULD DIE. TODAY HAS BEEN A VERY BAD DAY. IT FEELS LIKE MY LIFE IS FALLING APART. IF I GET FIRED MY INSURANCE WON'T PAY. SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME SOMETHING INSPIRATIONAL:hurt :hurt :cry :) :) :D :phanvan :angry :bored

Sorry you are having so much trouble at work. Maybe it would help if you push it back a week or two after the doctor returns from vacation. Would that appease the powers that be? Doesn't sound like they would ever be understanding. Do they know that you are having surgery?

Hi Hanvan,

Sorry your day has been so tough. It stinks your doctor can do that since he already had surgeries scheduled. Was his office even apologetic about it? How ridiculous... I wouldn't have been happy about it either. I had my surgery in Mexico and took my brother for support ( I had been talked into taking him). I really felt sad and scared down in Mexico without my husband and mom there but once my surgery was over my focus changed to just getting out of the hospital and home again. I know you really want your husband there but if for some reason he can't make it, you will still be better off having had the surgery done. I know it is hard to be tough ( I am a total hysterical wimp in hospitals) but I know you'll pull thru just fine and your hubby would be there as soon as he could. As far as your job, would a letter from the surgeons office explaining the change help the matter? Does your job know what procedure your having done? Shoot, what would they do if you had an emergency illness and couldn't make it in? My mom always told me the "catch more flies with honey than vinegar thing." Is it possible for you to be even more cheerful, polite and helpful the next few days? What kind of work do you do? Well sorry I haven't been too inspirational but I certainly wish the best to you and hopefully it all works out. Teresa :)

It seems strange that your dr. is unavailable Oct. 6, but is available for Oct. 5 or 7. What kind of vacation can he get in one mid-week day? Oh, well, he gets to set the rules. I'm sorry this is causing problems. Do you have a neighbor or someone from your church that could be with you the day of surgery? Hang in there! After you get your band and start feeling better, it will all be worthwhile. Do you have sick time that you can take off from work? You will probably need a few days to recoup. Best of luck to you!:)

Will your job be happy if you bring them a note from the doctor. I know another bandster who had a problem with her job but once she gave her employer a note from the doctor everything was fine. Sorry you had such a bad day I hope tomorrow is a better day for you.

If you go for the 7th, wont you have already had the day off? You weren't planning on going back to work the very next day after surgery right?? I would say that even if you were one of the fortunate souls who was up walking around like mad the day after surgery, that you still shouldn't work. Your body is still trying to get rid of the anesthesia n' stuff and you will likely be very tired....

Anywho, I wish you luck with all of this. The idea of a note from your surgeon may help you with your work. On the other hand, there are many bandsters who would just rather that people didn't know what was going on, in which case, you may not want to give them a note telling them what's being done.

Let us know how it turns out. I'm sure that it will all come out well in the end one way or another. :)

THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES. I AM STILL UPSET WITH MY DOCTOR BUT I FINALLY HAVE IT AGREED WITH MY JOB THAT I CAN HAVE MY LAP BAND ON OCTOBER 5TH. MY HUSBAND JUST CALLED A FEW MINUTES OKAY AND SAID THAT HE WAS ABLE TO GET THE DAY OFF AFTER BEGGING LIKE CRAZY. I AM ON MY WAY TO WORK IN A FEW MINUTES BUT I DON'T FEEL LIKE GOING. THEY ARE MAKING US TELL EVERYONE THAT WE HAVE TO GO TO THE RESTROOM. WE CAN NO LONGER GET UP AND GO PEE ANYMORE. THEY STATED THAT WE HAVE TO STAND UP AND TELL EVERYONE THAT WE HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM SO EVERYONE WILL NO WERE WE ARE GOING. THEY ALSO SAID THAT WE ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO TAKE 15 MINUTE BREAKS UNLESS ALL OF THE EMPLOYESS APPROVE. THEY STATED THAT 15 MINUTE BREAKS ARE A PRIVALEDGE AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO GIVE THEM TO US. MY JOB IS GETTING WORSE AND WORSE EVERY DAY. I WISH I CAN FIND SOMETHING BETTER BUT I HAVE TO KEEP THIS JOB UNTIL AFTER MY SURGERY. OTHERWISE THE INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER IT, IF I QUIT.:sick :phanvan

THANKYOU ALL FOR YOUR REPLIES. I AM STILL UPSET WITH MY DOCTOR BUT I FINALLY HAVE IT AGREED WITH MY JOB THAT I CAN HAVE MY LAP BAND ON OCTOBER 5TH. MY HUSBAND JUST CALLED A FEW MINUTES OKAY AND SAID THAT HE WAS ABLE TO GET THE DAY OFF AFTER BEGGING LIKE CRAZY. I AM ON MY WAY TO WORK IN A FEW MINUTES BUT I DON'T FEEL LIKE GOING. THEY ARE MAKING US TELL EVERYONE THAT WE HAVE TO GO TO THE RESTROOM. WE CAN NO LONGER GET UP AND GO PEE ANYMORE. THEY STATED THAT WE HAVE TO STAND UP AND TELL EVERYONE THAT WE HAVE TO GO TO THE BATHROOM SO EVERYONE WILL NO WERE WE ARE GOING. THEY ALSO SAID THAT WE ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED TO TAKE 15 MINUTE BREAKS UNLESS ALL OF THE EMPLOYESS APPROVE. THEY STATED THAT 15 MINUTE BREAKS ARE A PRIVALEDGE AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO GIVE THEM TO US. MY JOB IS GETTING WORSE AND WORSE EVERY DAY. I WISH I CAN FIND SOMETHING BETTER BUT I HAVE TO KEEP THIS JOB UNTIL AFTER MY SURGERY. OTHERWISE THE INSURANCE WILL NOT COVER IT, IF I QUIT.:sick :phanvan

Well, your job better get used to it, because you will be going to "tee-tee" a LOT after you're banded and you keep drinking all of your Water load! Good luck!:)

You know, you should look into labor laws in your state. I know that in California, if you work 6 hours you are required at least 30 minutes lunch, and for 8 hours, it's the lunch and two 15 minute breaks.... so you should look into it just so that your workplace doesn't get too crazy.

I'm glad you were able to get the days off you needed, and that your hubby can go with you. :)

All you need to do is change the way you're thinking about going alone. I went to Mexico all alone. I figured I came into the world alone, and I'm going out of the world alone, so this very initimate decision to have weight loss surgery was something I felt I should do alone. Besides, you won't be alone. You'll probably be in the hospital with several other people getting bands, so you'll all bond and become a whole new family. You won't be alone - we'll all be here for you. You can do this. You CAN do this.

Hi hanvan,

Glad to hear both yours and your husbands work will at least let you get the day off. I do think you need to check the labor laws because in Oregon it is a 30 minute lunch and 2 15 minute breaks as well for an 8 hour day. I thought that was pretty standard in the U.S. Well, at least you only have to wait another week before you can quit if you want. Next week is the surgery!!!! I am sure you'll be getting nervous but remember we are all rooting for you and know you'll do great! Teresa

Not that this will make you feel any better but....GOOD LORD THAT SOUNDS LIKE A CRAPPY PLACE TO WORK!!! Also, that sounds like exploitation of thier employees, they shouldnt be able to treat people like that!!! I'm glad your surgery date worked out for you....please remember you have to see the clouds before the sun sweetheart!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best of luck!!

Katie