Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need advise thinking of getting the sleeve

Hello everyone, I wanta start by saying I had to have my lapband removed today :( because I could no longer tolerate the fills, every time they put some in there I had to take it right back out do to terrible acid reflux, heartburn and being nauseated, I'm now thinking about revising to the sleeve my doc don't do the procedure at the same time so I would have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to be sleeved, now I'm hearing the people that's sleeved acid reflux is bad and that's what I suffer with the most, I weight 220 pounds started at 288 so I lost 68 pounds with the band June would have made 2 years since I was banded..I have so many missed emotions but I know I'm not going to do the gastric bypass, so any opinions on t h en sleeve would be great I have to see my doctor next week and I will talk more about it with him just wanted to hear some of you all thoughts..thanks in advance.

Edited by mscandy4you

I can say that my experience was this -- and I am not a band to sleeve revision --- I never had acid reflux when I was obese, but after being sleeved I got it pretty bad for a while. It has leveled off now and it doesn't happen every day. I took prescription for it for a while but now I can manage it by taking an over the counter medicine as needed.

However, it is widely reported that acid reflux can be a side effect of the sleeve. The results are really all over the map from what I've read here on the boards. Some have no problems whatsoever, some experience it less than they did pre surgery, some worse than pre surgery, some get it who never had it before (like me). It varies SO much from person to person.

If I was in your situation, before just rolling the dice and taking the chance (because the sleeve is not reversible like the band is) I would really have a long conversation with the surgeon about whether the sleeve is the right choice for you. You need to have the opinion of your surgeon.

good luck!

I believe that if you are prone to acid reflux disease the sleeve will make matters worse.

I already suffered with acid reflux and the got sleeved...(didn't know about the sleeve making it worse)...the reflux got so bad that some nights even with Nexium I would wake with terrible burning from the stuff I'd bring whilst asleep. The pain could be unbearable.

I'm not going to say that the sleeve isn't any good...but weight wise, the sleeve didn't work for me long term. That and suffering so bad with the reflux was enough to get me a revision to a full gastric bypass.

29th January 2014 I had my op and I have not had one single day or night since with reflux. However, my surgeon does want me to "protect" my pouch by continuing to take the Nexium for at least 6 months. But to be honest, they are probably the only drugs I forget to take....lol....I know, I'm bad.

See if you can make an appointment to speak to your surgeon or perhaps a member of the bariatric team you are considering....try and get a one-to-one with someone who'll be able to advise you best.

Good luck

Xx

I was going to do the sleeve originally but my gastric doctor told me my GERDS would get worse if I did so I had the bypass on his recommendation.

I don't regret it at all.

I have had no real problems with it and I'm healthier then I have been in years.

The final decision is yours but if getting rid of GERDS is your objective then I say bypass for sure.

I had some bad episodes of acid reflux disease prior to surgery. I underwent Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery a year ago and haven't had any problems with acid reflux since then.

Hello everyone, I wanta start by saying I had to have my lapband removed today :( because I could no longer tolerate the fills, every time they put some in there I had to take it right back out do to terrible acid reflux, heartburn and being nauseated, I'm now thinking about revising to the sleeve my doc don't do the procedure at the same time so I would have to wait 4 to 6 weeks to be sleeved, now I'm hearing the people that's sleeved acid reflux is bad and that's what I suffer with the most, I weight 220 pounds started at 288 so I lost 68 pounds with the band June would have made 2 years since I was banded..I have so many missed emotions but I know I'm not going to do the gastric bypass, so any opinions on t h en sleeve would be great I have to see my doctor next week and I will talk more about it with him just wanted to hear some of you all thoughts..thanks in advance.

I'll bite.....why are you so against bypass?

I don't know if you have a medical reason that bypass would be a horrible choice for you. If you don't, I would encourage you to at least discuss bypass some more with your surgeon. I had the sleeve, I love my sleeve - but I know tons of people with the bypass who have done great with it! It is an excellent surgery IMO, and often it really is a better choice for people who suffer with GERD -- at least the medical experts say so and I have no reason not to trust them.

I was banded in 2010 did really well at first. Then 2yrs ago I started vomiting a lot and suffering with acid reflux then last year the acid reflux got worse and I started aspirating at night. This is what my surgeon told me, remove the band and go with the bypass reason being if I do the sleeve it leaves the stomach shaped like a banana the esophagus will have a hard time pushing the food down therefore causing more acid reflux. After a lot of research I agreed with my Dr. I am having the bypass on June 11th I don't want to take a chance on having the acid reflux again. Good luck on making your decision .

I had GERD pretty bad before my sleeve surgery. Once I even went to the emergency room, thinking I was having a heart attack. It was just reflux. My stomach doc found a hiatial hernia and that got fixed at the same time he did my sleeve. I haven't had any reflux since. It has been wonderful. He put me on Omeprasole post surgery to give my stomach time to heal, but I often forget to take it, and still no reflux.

Ask your doc to check for a hiatial hernia to see if that can also be causing your problems.

I suffer from gerd and when it gets so bad i am in tears and cant stand it any longer i mix one tsp of baking soda with about 2 ounces of Water and drink it real fast ..down like alka seltzer or a shot and within 20 to 30 minutes i belch and it is gone!! :)

I suffer from gerd and when it gets so bad i am in tears and cant stand it any longer i mix one tsp of baking soda with about 2 ounces of Water and drink it real fast ..down like alka seltzer or a shot and within 20 to 30 minutes i belch and it is gone!! :)

why would you wait until you are in tears to treat your heartburn? that seems a little extreme.

I suffered with GERD before getting my sleeve since my sleeve i have no problems what so ever, however there are people who still suffer after surgery so having a good talk with your medical profession would be the best thing to do.

Good luck