Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Week Four: Training for the Philadelphia Marathon?

Hello everyone, today is week number four post op and I am not at all excited about starting soft foods. I am doing well as far as getting my 64 oz. of Water each day and protien in from the shakes and food, but I'm just not hungry and I can only eat two-three teaspoons of food at a time. I joined myfitnesspal and I'm monitoring what I eat, drink, and my exercises that I do every day. This is a new and exciting world for me because my tastes have changed drastically (I can no longer tolerate anything sweet or fatty) and that's great news for me because I was addicted to sweet-fatty foods for many years. My new stomach is definitely in control of what it likes and doesn't like and I am okay with that. I weighed myself this morning and I have lost another five pounds. Life is good.

At my support group last Wednesday my surgeon gave us a challenge. He challenged us to set a long-term goal for ourselves. Then he asked how many of us would like to run the marathon in Philly in November. I said I have always wanted to get back into running (I used to run track and was on the cheer leaders in high school, and I was on the girls volleybally team) I said yes. I looked at all of the training that I will have to do in preparation and I am going to give it my all. I believe that by setting this training goal I'll be more focused on getting the exercise I need everyday and it will help me to achieve my goal to get to 140 lbs in a years time.

November this year? Or next? I ran in high school too and have always wanted to get back into it but the weight has taken it's toll and I wonder if I'll ever be able to again. I was thinking of making a tiny little goal of a 5k late this year. But a marathon???

You GO girl! (and if I get postop and find I can start running some, I'll hit you up to do a 5k with me somewhere near Philly! Maybe one of those Turkey trots on Thanksgiving Day... better than staring at all that food you can't eat!)

Ginger

Mrsglomartin, what a WONDERFUL goal!!! You can do it too as long as you keep your eyes on the prize! I'm hoping for surgery in early Aug. Perhaps next year I could run a 5k, I've always wanted to try that. Right now my knees are shot from this excess weight but I am hoping weight loss will take care of that.

So you are doing great! Listen to your stomach!! I think next to your doctors advice your stomach comes in 2nd as an expert! :-)

Let us know about that race so we can cheer you on!!!!

November this year? Or next? I ran in high school too and have always wanted to get back into it but the weight has taken it's toll and I wonder if I'll ever be able to again. I was thinking of making a tiny little goal of a 5k late this year. But a marathon???

You GO girl! (and if I get postop and find I can start running some, I'll hit you up to do a 5k with me somewhere near Philly! Maybe one of those Turkey trots on Thanksgiving Day... better than staring at all that food you can't eat!)

Ginger

Hi Ginger Snaps, yes, that would be the marathon held in November 2014, this year!!! I'm very excited and yes, I would love for us to meet up and do a run together in Philly or Jersey (I believe you live in Jersey). That would be great and it would motivate both of us to continue our healthy lifestyles. Anything done with others makes it more fun and increases the possibility of us staying focused. You can do this too!!! I suffered for years from low back pain that was so severe that I could not walk more than a few steps before I had to stop and rest. I also have osteoarthritis in my knees, shoulders, hips, and spine that the surgery and weight lost and exercise has helped to greatly allieviate the pain. The longlasting results of this surgery is so worth it!! God bless you and good luck with your surgery. I know you will be fine, I can't wait to plan our marathon together in the very near future!!!

Mrsglomartin, what a WONDERFUL goal!!! You can do it too as long as you keep your eyes on the prize! I'm hoping for surgery in early Aug. Perhaps next year I could run a 5k, I've always wanted to try that. Right now my knees are shot from this excess weight but I am hoping weight loss will take care of that.

So you are doing great! Listen to your stomach!! I think next to your doctors advice your stomach comes in 2nd as an expert! :-)

Let us know about that race so we can cheer you on!!!!

Hi Nancy E., thanks for the inspiration and positive motivation!!! Congratulations on making a decision that is going to change your life forever!!! I know it seems far away but August is gonna be here before you know it and you will be sitting on the losers bench in anticipation of your new life. Don't worry too much about comparing your loss or the many ordeals you will go thorugh with others because we all heal differently, have different tolerances for pain, and although we share in our desire to change our lifestyles, we all have different approaches to them and you must find the one that works best for you!!! If you begin an exercise routine now you will greatly reap the benefits after surgery even if it's just walking for 30 mins each day, that's what I did. I pray that you surgery will go smoothly and that God will allow everything to work in your favor. stay strong, stay motivated, and always keep a positive attitude, trust me, it will help you endure those rough Patches that wil come. remember those times will be so well worth it when you see those pounds come melting off and your energy levels begin to soar!!!!

Did the surgeon give you a training program? It's totally doable with a good program. I use to do triathlons with Team in Training even at 225lbs. It was all about the training. Usually 4-6 months. Crossing that finish line will be one of the highlights of your life.

Did the surgeon give you a training program? It's totally doable with a good program. I use to do triathlons with Team in Training even at 225lbs. It was all about the training. Usually 4-6 months. Crossing that finish line will be one of the highlights of your life.

Hey Amilf2, yes he has a training program that everyone will begin on Monday, 5/26 as a group (there's five of us so far). Not wanting to wait until then I've already begun joggin in place for 30 minuets on my Wiifit and doing squats along with my regular walking routine. I know the benefits of not waiting for a rigorous workout to begin. I'm already seeing the benefits in my strength, endurance, flexibility and weight loss. I can't wait for the day of the marathon, which he has not told us yet because he wishes to see how serious we are and then three months prior to the date he's going to tell us. for me this adds to the excitement and motivates me to stay focused. I'll keep everyone posted on my progress weekly and I plan to have pictures to share as well, thanks for your feedback, have a blessed day!!!

So I had to look up information -- are you planning to run the long one? There's also a half marathon and an 8K. If you end up doing the 26 mile race, you should totally enter in the mayor's high five award. Take a look at the requirements. http://philadelphiamarathon.com/for-runners/mayors-high-five-award

I think I'll shoot to do the 8K and make it a goal to run the entire race. You're inspiring me to go for it!

So I had to look up information -- are you planning to run the long one? There's also a half marathon and an 8K. If you end up doing the 26 mile race, you should totally enter in the mayor's high five award. Take a look at the requirements. http://philadelphiamarathon.com/for-runners/mayors-high-five-award I think I'll shoot to do the 8K and make it a goal to run the entire race. You're inspiring me to go for it!

For my first marathon I'm trying to do the 8K and see how it goes from there. Who knows, maybe I'll be conditioned and in good shape by November and I'll run the entire marathon. That would be awesome!!!

Hey -- I think I can work up to the 8k too -- at least it's a goal worth shooting for! If you'll let me know when you sign up, I will, too. Maybe we can get some matching t-shirts (in small / medium, of course!) :)

Ginger

Hey -- I think I can work up to the 8k too -- at least it's a goal worth shooting for! If you'll let me know when you sign up, I will, too. Maybe we can get some matching t-shirts (in small / medium, of course!) :) Ginger

I sure will, how about representing Bariatricpal.com on our tshirts??