Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

85% convinced. How do I get to 100%?

Odds and stats. I knew that I would suffer from multiple complications from being obese. The chances of complications with surgery were so small that the decision was obvious, I had to have the sleeve so I could have a decent life. food is fuel, not my friend, not my lover, not my family. I want to be here with my family. And I don't want them having to take care of me because I can not care for my own fat ass! Today I was on a plane and I had extra room in my seat! I did not eat cake at my sister in laws birthday lunch because I knew I was too full...who does that! Me! I am the person that never left any food on my plate, or yours and then I'd have dessert, and yours...not any more! If you have a broken leg you go get it fixed, I had a broken, sick, dis-eased relationship with food that was destroying my body, so I got it fixed. I was 100% sure what I was doing and had done did not work so I went with what statistically had better odds for success! Down over 50 lbs in 11 weeks!

My decision that lead to 100% - all of my life I had had wt issues. In third grade I weighed 136 lbs. I knew it was bad because my brothers and the kids at school even relatives at the family reunion teased and taunted me constantly even back then. If I could have had this procedure in childhood I would not have hesitated. But of coarse it was not available.

I made a point to diet. I tried to run like the others , but when I started my chest would

Burn and I heard this noise and then running became impossible to continue. (undiagnosed childhood asthma)

I grew up exercising , dieting , still gaining a few pounds yearly. When I stopped the exercise in college, on my job in my new career, wt slipped back. I dieted again and again; each time my wt returned with an extra 5-10 lbs. I lost 20, 40, 57, then 78 lbs except for 20 lbs at wt watchers, I did all of my wt loss on my own.

By this time the orthopedic injuries had started. Sprained ankle, fractured both feet . During those times I was restricted my my dr from gym activities. My legs would swell along with my feet, Especially when I travel. My wt had gotten out of hand control. Now had to deal with arth problems.

I was at the cardiologist. He told my that all of my numbers are good, and my heart is fine - for- now. He said that the only thing he worried about is - my- weight.........then he told my about the sleeve and asked me to talk to the surgeon about it and to at least consider it.

I agreed, saw the surgeon, etc. went on my cruise with hubby, and when I returned from my trip, surgery was scheduled for 2 wks later. The rest is history. For me having the sleeve was like this: my dr. Knows I love to enjoy life, and that I want the best quality of life possible, and that I care about good health. So he recommended this for me; I just followed the doctor's orders.

My decision that lead to 100% - all of my life I had had wt issues. In third grade I weighed 136 lbs. I knew it was bad because my brothers and the kids at school even relatives at the family reunion teased and taunted me constantly even back then. If I could have had this procedure in childhood I would not have hesitated. But of coarse it was not available.

I made a point to diet. I tried to run like the others , but when I started my chest would

Burn and I heard this noise and then running became impossible to continue. (undiagnosed childhood asthma)

I grew up exercising , dieting , still gaining a few pounds yearly. When I stopped the exercise in college, on my job in my new career, wt slipped back. I dieted again and again; each time my wt returned with an extra 5-10 lbs. I lost 20, 40, 57, then 78 lbs except for 20 lbs at wt watchers, I did all of my wt loss on my own.

By this time the orthopedic injuries had started. Sprained ankle, fractured both feet . During those times I was restricted my my dr from gym activities. My legs would swell along with my feet, Especially when I travel. My wt had gotten out of hand control. Now had to deal with arth problems.

I was at the cardiologist. He told my that all of my numbers are good, and my heart is fine - for- now. He said that the only thing he worried about is - my- weight.........then he told my about the sleeve and asked me to talk to the surgeon about it and to at least consider it.

I agreed, saw the surgeon, etc. went on my cruise with hubby, and when I returned from my trip, surgery was scheduled for 2 wks later. The rest is history. For me having the sleeve was like this: my dr. Knows I love to enjoy life, and that I want the best quality of life possible, and that I care about good health. So he recommended this for me; I just followed the doctor's orders. Start wt 342, present wt. 329- surg on 4/30/14. It only takes a small reason to miss out on something good we can let doubt and fear get the best of us. But Are not given the spirit of fear. I suggest you talk to God about it, get your peace with whatever decision you come up with and go from there. I only wish I could have done mine decades sooner. Let us know your decision. I wish you well. God bless you and be your guide in wherever He leads you.

Just wanted to thank you all again. I've considered all you've said (it was especially encouraging that those of you who did have various problems post-op still considered it the best decision you made) and it eased my mind that 85% is good enough and to leave the rest to faith. My first surgeon appointment is June 26 (with Dr. Dieter Pohl, if any of you are in Rhode Island)!

Edited by Tootles1975

@Tootles1975 -- I'm so glad you followed up and updated us! I was just wondering what you had decided.

Best of luck as you move through the process and let us know how it goes! :)

Tootles1975

I am glad you decided to do this for yourself. If not you would continue to think about it and be uncomfortable about not having it done. Pray God's guidance, be lead, and don't look back.

Was just in the "Most positive post" thread where we all are talking about what we're thankful for. It made me think of this first post I made 6 months ago and how encouraging and knowledgable everyone was. I'm now 6 days away from surgery and really thrilled with this choice and very excited for the future.

So thank you, everyone!

Edited by Tootles1975

All I can say is that I was more afraid of what my life looked like WITHOUT surgery than I was of the complications FROM surgery. I'd been overweight to obese since I was 8 years old. I was reasonably healthy until I hit my 40's. After that it was a downhill slide of blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, asthma meds, anti-anxiety meds and pain from carrying around an extra 100 pounds. I carried it pretty well. No one would have guessed that I was 100 pounds overweight when I went in for surgery 13 months ago.

So complications... They DO happen, but they didn't happen to me. I was only hospitalized overnight, never needed narcotic pain meds and was back to work the next week. It was a struggle the first month, but I got in a groove after that. I do not miss being able to eat a big meal. At. All. I thought I'd mourn food. I don't. I love the freedom to eat what I like how I like it in small quantities and be free from the obsession I had with food!

I've given things up... All my pre-op meds, carbonation, my sedentary lifestyle, and most caffeine. Traded for Protein bars, an exercise bike, Vitamins, confidence, size 4 skinny jeans and a new found social life! GOOD TRADE as far as I'm concerned!