Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

waters/joey: I know it is very ez to get mad about your band not working yet. I had fill #2 today and I hope I will feel some kind of restriction this time. I know you think I am full of crap because I have done well with weight loss, but the band has not helped me yet. I only eat good healthy food and I exercise like mad (no less than 90mins a day 7 days a week, when I am home I sometimes hike 20 miles in one day) I feel no restriction, I have been able to eat anything I have tried ( still alot I have not tried) I hear people talk about food getting stuck and I can't relate. I just would like you guys to know even people doing well are having a hell of a time with this thing. I know I have only had two fills and I know it will get better in time with more fills. What I am saying is this may take sometime. I just hope I can stick with what I have been doing till I start getting restriction. I think I could. best of luck.

waters/joeygirl I know how frustrated you both are, I keep looking at my weight that does not move, and I get frustrated too. BUT, I know that I made this commitment and I hope to stick with it! I agree that sometimes it feels just like a "diet" but in some ways the Band is a diet( I know we hate this word). I agree with the advise to call your docs office for a fill appointment if you can. Don't give up!! :eek:

Dan thanks for your honesty, I think that sometimes it is easy to look at your success and get envious or say, " he is a guy!" but I know it is hard too. I appreciate your in put.

second fill Yesterday, 1 cc added! My fill went much better this time, I laid down and she took out 4.5 cc and put that back with 1 cc. My NP really feels that I am very close to the zone because I do get full and have to stop eating. she did not want me to get to the point of vomiting. however, I to hardly ever get food stuck! Or the feeling it is hard to go down. I agree that having that feeling once in a while would be a good red flag that it is working, rather than me making choices not to eat, bread etc. I have to make choices not to eat certian things. I have my next appointment for october 8, at which time she told me not to count on an adjustment? I will see how the next week or so goes!

Laura G, Gas can be from eating to fast and not chewing! My son belches all the time and I tell him to stop eating so fast!

Hello,

I'm a June 27, 2007 Bandster. I have had one fill since my banding. I felt absolutely no difference, and the dr's office said that can happen sometime with a first fill because of air in the line??? So, my second fill is for Sept. 17th. Hopefully, it will make me feel full with less food because right now, it seems to me I can eat too much! I have not lost a single pound in a month now. So it's a bit frustrating.

I can eat bread. The only thing that has bothered me so far is Pasta. That was not a good feeling...like someone dropped a cannon ball in my stomach and it just sat there. AAAGGHH! :faint:

So no more pasta for a long time.

I'm happy with 26 pounds lost (goodbye and good ridance) but am anxious to be rid of the next 26!!!!

So I had my meeting with the nutrionist today that my primary care physician sent me to... all she wanted to focus on was carbohydrates. Lol. She was like, your Protein intake is good, you need more veggies and carbs. Ugh. So not worth the hour and a half I spent there. She was impressed with my weightloss though. She's never met someone with lap band before... so she had no clue how to really help me though. She probably got more info from me than I got from her. Well, hopefully she'll go learn more about the needs of a lap banded patient now and will be better for the next bandster that walks through her door.

It was like, she didn't believe that someone my size was stuffed to capacity on only half of a south beach diet Protein Bar. And since I ate an omlet yesterday she was like 'oh thats such high fat - but neglected to understand that it is still high in protein and thats ALLLLL I ate yesterday. I dunno... She wants me to take in more veggies, fruits, Calcium, and CARBS! Haha. Um, no.

Sigh...

got a busy day ahead... just stressful life stuff that gets in the way of my fun. Lol. Hope you all have a great day!

Danbo, I'm absolutely floored at the amount of weight you've lost in 2 1/2 months---105 pounds? Holy cow! Do you ever think that you didn't need the lapband if you were able to lose the weight without the assistance of it?

Well, whatever you've been doing, it's been working for you! Kudos to you.

Hello everyone. On Friday I go in for surgery again to have my port fixed, my first fill and my gallbaldder removed. I hope this will be it for a while, I am ready to get on with everything. I have been reading all the postings and you guys are doing great. I will check in after surgery to let you all know how it went.

I've been sooooo bad today!!

We had a pot-luck at work today. Nurses are so not healthy people! Lol. I brought in bow-tie Pasta with spag sauce, since it was quick and easy and in my cabinet and I didn't want to eat it! One nurse brought in beenie weenies, one brought in a bunch of Cookies, one brought in store made potato salad and so on.. So here were no good choices really... I ate a few 'weenies', thinking that at least, though high in fat, they were Protein. But then I got sucked in and had a cookie. chocolate chip... and it went down soooo easy! I had another, then another. (Did you know junk food went down so easily?!?!!) I think I ate about 8 cookies. Maybe it was 9 or 10? I dunno. I lost count. I ate some more weenies, this time with the beenies. Lol. Then I had some potato salad. Once I got home I felt like I used to - like I was just warming up into a binge! I distracted myself and went to do laundry. Came home and put everything away... and then went to the store and bought Snickers ice cream. I ate about 1/3 of the container - In the past I would have eated the whole thing.

Suzzzie, don't be so hard on yourself...we all have had moments like this. You're right when you say tomorrow is another day....and you should be proud that you didn't go ahead and eat the whole container like you would have before...that's a positive. I haven't had to deal with a potluck yet except for my grandma's family reunion early in August and mom and I made sure to bring things I knew I could eat...but I did cheat a little and had some of my grandma's wonderful carrot cake.

We're banded...we're not urge-less yet...we still have cravings...it's moving on from those cravings and binges and getting back up and starting again. You can do it...I know you can...you've been an inspiration to me and many others on this board...and I"m proud to say I've gotten the wonderful chance to meet you as well.

So I had my meeting with the nutrionist today that my primary care physician sent me to... all she wanted to focus on was carbohydrates. Lol. She was like, your Protein intake is good, you need more veggies and carbs. Ugh. So not worth the hour and a half I spent there. She was impressed with my weightloss though. She's never met someone with lap band before... so she had no clue how to really help me though. She probably got more info from me than I got from her. Well, hopefully she'll go learn more about the needs of a lap banded patient now and will be better for the next bandster that walks through her door.

It was like, she didn't believe that someone my size was stuffed to capacity on only half of a south beach diet protein bar. And since I ate an omlet yesterday she was like 'oh thats such high fat - but neglected to understand that it is still high in protein and thats ALLLLL I ate yesterday. I dunno... She wants me to take in more veggies, fruits, Calcium, and CARBS! Haha. Um, no.

LOL...I also talk to a nutritionist/food counselor every other week for my insurance...luckily it's over the phone...but she at least had some experience with Lap-Band or Gastric Banding patients. She has to ask each session: how much read meat this week? how many veggies? how much fruit? etc. She laughs when I tell her I'm lucky to get in 1-3 servings fruit/veggies combined...she completely understands. She even makes sure to tell me "eat your protein first, then your fruit/veg/carb, etc."

I made a Chicken/Sausage Jambalya in the crockpot for tonight...with brown rice. It's got some celery, bell pepper and onion in it...so at least I can count that.

THanks BeckieT!

Carrot Cake... Mmmm! Lol.

OK, so when I went to the nutritionist, aside from he not believing that I could only eat 1/2 the south beach diet Protein bar, she also thought I was crazy cause I then said that I can eat yogurt without filling up at all. Same with ice cream - cause they are still 'liquids'. Oh well...

OFF SUBJECT!!!

OK, so I have a roommate again. He's an ex boyfriend from 6 years ago that has lived with me off and on for the past, well, six years. Lol. Its a really long story, but I kicked him out a year ago cause he stresses me out cause he can't hold a job for very long. Well, he called me monday night begging, cause the people he was staying with kicked him out. I am pretty positive that this time won't be any different, that he'll just use my apt as a place to live for as long as I'll put up with him. But he has been here for 24 hours and already had one job interview, so who knows. - OK, the point - he has NO idea I had surgery. He'll notice something eventually... should I just tell him now? I'm just afraid he'll open his fat mouth to my neighbors or someone else that doesn't know, and that I don't want to know all my business. OK, I guess its not that big of a deal, I just don't think everyone in my apt building needs to know my business...

Hello everyone. On Friday I go in for surgery again to have my port fixed, my first fill and my gallbaldder removed. I hope this will be it for a while, I am ready to get on with everything. I have been reading all the postings and you guys are doing great. I will check in after surgery to let you all know how it went.

Good to hear from you!! Good luck on your surgery.... I hope you recover soon and get to losig that weight!!

THanks BeckieT!

Carrot Cake... Mmmm! Lol.

OK, so when I went to the nutritionist, aside from he not believing that I could only eat 1/2 the south beach diet Protein bar, she also thought I was crazy cause I then said that I can eat yogurt without filling up at all. Same with ice cream - cause they are still 'liquids'. Oh well...

OFF SUBJECT!!!

OK, so I have a roommate again. He's an ex boyfriend from 6 years ago that has lived with me off and on for the past, well, six years. Lol. Its a really long story, but I kicked him out a year ago cause he stresses me out cause he can't hold a job for very long. Well, he called me monday night begging, cause the people he was staying with kicked him out. I am pretty positive that this time won't be any different, that he'll just use my apt as a place to live for as long as I'll put up with him. But he has been here for 24 hours and already had one job interview, so who knows. - OK, the point - he has NO idea I had surgery. He'll notice something eventually... should I just tell him now? I'm just afraid he'll open his fat mouth to my neighbors or someone else that doesn't know, and that I don't want to know all my business. OK, I guess its not that big of a deal, I just don't think everyone in my apt building needs to know my business...

Why would you have to tell him? Why would he notice? If you mean he'll notice you are eating differently, then you are just making better choices, if he notices you are exercising, then great, you are making better choices. If you mean he'll see you naked and will wonder what the scars are...then you had a hernia repaired. Simple.

Kick him out Suzzie (I'm horrible, aren't I?). It sounds like he'll try the same thing again.

For those not losing enough weight, you are doing better than you think. The problem is that you're comparing yourself to the most successful losers here. You have to remember that most who've lost 50 pounds or more have/had BMIs over 50, so % wise, everything is probably in order.

Why would you have to tell him? Why would he notice? If you mean he'll notice you are eating differently, then you are just making better choices, if he notices you are exercising, then great, you are making better choices. If you mean he'll see you naked and will wonder what the scars are...then you had a hernia repaired. Simple.

Lol! Nooooooooooooo!!! He will not see me naked!! haha!! But you're right, I don't have to explain anything! He already has tried to convince me to go eat at CiCis pizza with him (pizza buffet) I was just like "Nah, I"ve been trying to eat a bit healthier." So, I think that'll work!

Kick him out Suzzie (I'm horrible, aren't I?). It sounds like he'll try the same thing again.

For those not losing enough weight, you are doing better than you think. The problem is that you're comparing yourself to the most successful losers here. You have to remember that most who've lost 50 pounds or more have/had BMIs over 50, so % wise, everything is probably in order.

:) I know, I should kick him out. But we'll see. He's got 14 days (13 days left now!) to get a job, then he's gone...

Stick to your guns on the Suzzie - you are trying to better your life, you don't need someone stressing you out. Don't worry about telling him, guys don't notice much anyway (sorry guys).

Insub - you are right, it is more about % of loss. I still have over 100lbs to lose! A lot of people didn't even need to lose that to begin with.

Hubby update - 104lbs today, but the last 30lbs has not been healthy. He is still struggling with severe sliming almost all the time. He can hardly eat. He sees the PCP on Friday, I am going to give him my spot with surgeon on Monday and he has an endoscopy scheduled for the 21st. I hope the answer is that he just needs some more time to heal his esophagus instead of having the band removed!

Hi, folks! Just checking in and BOY! You guys have a lot going on! I have no clue what that conversation was about pannus...what the heck is that?!?!? LOL

Just to summarize...looks like everyone is doing okay...even the ones who don't feel like they are doing okay...YOU ARE DOING OKAY!

Well, hubby is home...schedules change...habits change...foods change....ARGH! I'm not losing very much right now, but at least I'm not gaining. We are having a ball...I love it when he is home! Even if we just hang out in our PJ's watching movies.

If this rain gives us a break, we have to put up about 200 feet of privacy fence and build two gates at one of our flip houses. That will NOT be fun. Anybody got a magic wand I can borrow to just "make it appear"?

I miss hanging out with y'all, but I'm popping in when I can! I read/lurk some every day, though. Take care everyone!