Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

Huntersmom

I have only just started mushies too so can't really give a great amount of advise but the scale is still moving after a few days, it has definitely slowed down though! I am counting calories and walking a lot... like you I want to keep losing and will do what I have to to keep the scale moving in the right direction... I was losing weight before I started the pre-op so am basically using the same sort of diet which includes (for example) Diet yoghurt for Breakfast, scambled egg for lunch and 3/4 cup meat and veges (blended) for dinner... I snack on the very low fat yoghurt if needed. I also have milk in my coffee and have had the occassional Merlot!!!

I am also assuming that now I am back to eating something (and especially when I start solids in 2 weeks) that I will have plateaus like I did pre-op but I am prepared for this and I will not let it get me down or make me lose sight of the end goal!

Am truly loooking forward to a fill too :-)

Toni, I cannot believe that you can eat almost everything. A bagel. I wouldn't have even thought to try one. All the posts I have read as most people cannot eat any kind of bread.< /p>

Also for others that have already been banded, do you weigh your self every day or just once a week. I am not sure what I want to do. I think once a week would be better but having the scale there is very temping.

I've been reading a lot on the boards regarding gas. Dr. Benevides told us that he uses humidified gas rather than dry gas. It's supposedly makes isn't so hard on the body and you shouldn't have as severe gas pains as with dry gas....just a thought for future bandsters to ask their doctors about....Has anyone else heard of this....Being banded on Monday...

we also had to increase our mortgage by $15k which is a little scary but a great motivator!!

I can totally relate. We did the same thing. Actually, it was my husband's idea to do it. He says he'd rather be in a little debt than have me miserable for another day.

Suzzie

Best of luck tomorrow with your surgery. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. The worst part for me has been crushing my meds and trying to get them down. YUCK!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Renee

Thank you! I'm really hoping all goes well and very smooth... I really want to be able to return to work on Sunday. I know thats probably not realistic...but I want to do it anyway. Haha.

Happy Birthday, Danielle!

Good to hear from everyone! Well...tomorow's the big day for me. I have to be at the center at 11am...surgery at noon. Today I'm doing my clear liquids....So far I 've had some Water w/protein powder, orange single serve Jello and some Decaf Chai vanilla Tea. I'm getting ready to go have some broth and a popsicle and maybe some green jello for lunch.< /p>

I'll see ya there chickie! Haha. Or, maybe not, but I'll be thinking about you!

Any other Junies in Kansas? I'm having mine done in Topeka.

I live in MO, but having surgery in Overland Park KS - TOMORROW!

Good luck to you!

hI all i finally decided to stop lurking :peep:and join the thread. :wave:

I am all set for my procedure on June 22.:rolleyes:

I am so excited to hear all of your successes.

I was not nervous at all until i went in to the hospital yesterday to do the pre-op blood work, and get "pre-registered" and all that, and one of the nurses asked me if i had a living will, and if i was an organ donor.ffice:office" /><o ="">:)></o>:P>

I know it is procedure, but for some reason a person wearing scrubs asking me questions like that make me nervous. <o ="">:P></o>:P>

And then one of the nurses (who was at most a size 8) said "I don't understand why you are doing this, you have such a pretty face.":angry<o ="">:P></o>:P>

I some how managed to remain calm. That is why i am doing it so no one ever again feels the need to qualify what about me is pretty. <o ="">:P></o>:P>

wow...this turned into a rant....sry, and a little smilie crazy

i guess what i meant to say is good luck to all, and thanks posting, it really helps that other people know what you are going through.

:)

:huggie:

<o ="">:P></o>:P>

I sooooooooooooooo identify with the "pretty face" comment. I HATE that!!!! I found this "Fat Girl Manifesto" a couple years ago, and have it on my myspace...

The Hot Fat Girl Manifesto

Because being a hot fat girl is a lot of work and is undervalued or unrecognized. Because a fat girl still has to pay more money for uglier clothes or spend 11 hours at the thrift store to find anything hot to wear. Because if you take the elevator, people think you're lazy but if you're on the treadmill, people laugh.

Because men like John Goodman and Bernie Mac get to have careers on television but sitcom-moms-of-three still have size-two waists. Because even feminist magazines publish fat-phobic articles under the guise of it being a "health issue." Because anti-capitalist activists still use expressions like "fat capitalist pig."

Because girls are dieting at the age of nine. Because side effects of the most popular diet drugs are seizures, heart failure, fecal urgency, breast cancer, lung disease, insomnia, nausea and vomiting, dangerously high blood pressure, abnormal heartbeat, psychosis, strokes, hallucinations and sudden death.

Because the Cooper Institute's ongoing study of 30,000 people has found that those who are fittest live the longest, no matter what they weigh. Because the doctor who said that there were 30,000 "obesity-related" deaths each year received over $2 million in research funding from Jenny Craig and Weight Watchers. Because that study prompted the FDA to approve Phen-Phen and Redux. Because fat-hatred is a money-making industry. Because fat people who exercise live longer than thin people who don't.

Because if you lose weight 'cause you're sick, people telling you how great you look. Because hatred is so ingrained in every single one of us, especially inside the heart of even the hottest fat girl. Because even the most progressive people don't talk or write about it.

Because I am tired of being ignored, invisible, de-sexualized and told that I have such a pretty face.

Because it's not fat that kills, it's fear of fat. For all that and more I am a part of the HOT FAT GIRL REVOLUTION!

~ written by Zoe Whittall

Good Luck Suzzie!!!!! I'm sure all will go well!

QUESTION for those ahead of me! When did your stomach go back down? I'm down 10 lbs yet my waistband is still tight in clothes.

Thanks!

Lucy.....wow OUCH! Sorry about the throat!!!! Hope you are better! I'm really not craving much.....except maybe just something with texture!!!! Crunchy.....or something!:biggrin1:

SimplyMe,

I was wondering what your BMI was pre-op? and if you had it covered by insurance i'm up near 235 and I'm concerned about what my insurance will cover, did you have any comorbiditys at all? thanks so much for the information and way to go so far!

Hang in there all your preopt gals/guys!! It will go fast, and you will lose some pounds...it is all going to pay off. I beleive I cheated a few times, but with little amounts, so don't go overboard there, you want your LIVER to shrink!

Kt/Huntersmom - I started the mushies yesterday and it has been different. I dont' feel any ristriction. I plan to use my old weight watchers log book to keep track of what I eat. I am scared about the weight loss too. I agree, that exercise will help alot!! My son's wedding is July 7, so for now, I am happy not to have my fill until after that. I plan to have my first glass of Vino this weekend!!

Toni I saw that item in the Macy's ad and I meant to post it on here! Of course I bought the bullet the day before! I took a few sips during dinner because I made fish and felt that the food got dry in my mouth, does that happen to anyone??

Insub are you working? How are you feeling a week out? I started back to work today and felt great. One of the ladies in my office that had the gastric bypass a couple years ago, could not beleive I was at work and fine. I do feel great today. No gas, but stomach pain a little!

Huntersmom, I would NOT weigh every day because your body fluctuates and you will get to discouraged. I would weigh once a week. That is my thought.

Welcome Carie and Dru

Good Luck Beckie!! You will do great.

This was a busy thread today! I think three pages or more. Hope everyone has a great night!!

I took a few sips during dinner because I made fish and felt that the food got dry in my mouth, does that happen to anyone??

Hi Java,

I can't NOT drink while eating yet. I don't know if that will change once I have real restriction. I am loving that Dallas, TX doctor who told his patients that it's OK to sip while eating!!!! I'm going to talk with my Dr. about it tomorrow.

Your son has the NEATEST wedding date. Is he by chance getting married at 7 p.m.????????? :rolleyes: Congrats to the couple and you, Mom!

Toni

Xgrl, I have a lower BMI and my insurance wouldn't cover the surgery, but they wouldn't have covered it no matter how high my BMI would have been. It really depends on your insurance company. A lot of people on this forum have been banded with a low BMI, so it's really worth looking into.

I had to take out a loan to pay for my surgery, but it's worth every penny.

I had to take out a loan to pay for my surgery, but it's worth every penny.

I hear you, Lucy! (and hope you're feeling better!):rolleyes:

Less than 8 hours away! I am so excited, and very little nervousness. I am most worried about getting on the table and having some complication that prevents my getting the band!

Thoughts and hopes to all the people joining the band tomorrow.

My twitter is up at twitter.com/Aperil if you want to read my cellphone updates to my experience.

THanks for all the support, info and help here. I am a semi lurker, but I love all of you guys anyway!

Yay Junies! I can't believe it is finally here!

I gotta share this.....I'm so bummed out tonight. I really want to be in the mid 250's when I go for surgery. I thought I would be by now. My weight is not budging one bit since Monday. I've been on antibiotics this week....definitely not constipated. I'm so worried that even with the band I won't lose weight. I am starving on 700 calories and not losing weight? WUWT? It reminds me of the 6 months I spent on Atkins and I would lose 1/4 pound a week. I am insulin resistant and I was told that makes it hard for me to lose weight. Anyone have that problem?