Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

captain danbo, I was in the same boat you are. When I got approved I was just over a bmi of 40 and when I actually had my surgery I was around 38. I think insurance understands pre-op dieting and will not count that against you. I have blue cross and it wasn't a problem for me so I hope you will not have any problems.

I had my hiatal hernia repaired also. My surgery was June 1st and I am still having some pain from the hernia repair. Did you doctor mention how long that pain would last?

No nvalicia, the doc didn't say how long, but if I still have it when I go to my post-op visit I will definitely ask him. I am so happy to have this fixed. Almost as happy with this as with the band surgery!!! LOL!!!:biggrin1:

I haven't had the surgery yet but someone in support group said that she got down on the floor on her hands and knees and put her head on the floor and that helped the gas pain almost immediately! Good luck and hope your better soon!

Thanks for the info on the gas. I'm going to try that if I can get on the floor. Hopefully I won't be stuck there!!!:biggrin1::biggrin1:

Actually, I'm feeling pretty well today, day 2 after surgery and I haven't needed any meds yet today. Yeeaaahhhh!!:)

My mom is going to pick me and DH up to do a little grocery shopping for some more Jello and Soup. Called the doctor to ask about the constipation...not to get personal, but.... I haven't gone since Saturday and DH hasn't gone since Sunday. Nurse suggested Milk of Magnesia or Haley's (sp?) mineral oil and drink plenty of liquids. I'm really having a problem with drinking enough right now. I had some Cr. of Wheat this morning at 8 or 8:30 and still not able to drink but a few small sips here and there. Anyone with the same problem? What helped you with this?

I'm off to rest for a bit.

Type to you later,

Jackie

P.S. Hope all is going well for all who have been banded and good luck to those of you going tomorrow. I'll keep you in my prayers.

Hi Junies!

I'm 5 days out and feeling better than a few days ago. I still have some gas pains, but it's not too bad. My throat has been KILLING me since the surgery -- the anesthesia tubes must have really irritated me. Around 2pm yesterday I suddenly felt like I could barely swallow or breathe. I called my surgeon and he said that there wasn't anything wrong with the band and that it was irritation from the tubes. He suggested I go to the ER. HELL NO! Unless I'm having a heart attack or there is a bone sticking out of my body, I am not sitting in the ER for 8 hours. I ended up going to my MD's office -- she was awesome (although her staff gave me a hard time for just showing up without an appointment). After taking a chest X-Ray and looking at my throat, she said that my throat was so swollen from irritation that there were blisters in my throat! She gave me an Rx for steroids and I went home. Feeling better today, although not 100%. I'm just glad it wasn't pneumonia or something worse.

I hope everyone here is doing well with their pre-ops and post-ops. I'm finally on to full liquids. Not much more exciting than the Clear Liquids, but at least I'm getting more Protein in.

I have been having the WEIRDEST cravings -- does anyone else feel this way? For example, I have been craving doughnuts and I never eat doughnuts -- I've probably had 10 doughnuts in my entire life. And yesterday, I would have given my left arm for buttered toast. Again, I can't remember the last time I had buttered toast -- when I was 9 years old? Of course, I have also been craving cheese and that is something that I've eaten every single day of my life, so not all the cravings are irrational :)

Lucy.....wow OUCH! Sorry about the throat!!!! Hope you are better! I'm really not craving much.....except maybe just something with texture!!!! Crunchy.....or something!:biggrin1:

Well the programs I need to use to finish my work before I am off are not working, so I guess I will post here while I wait. Maybe I will take my laptop with me and work after surgery - NOT!

Clear Liquids today - yuck - Surgery tomorrow WOOHOO! I am ready to go and looking forward to mushies! ;-)

My 14 year old has asked if he can spend the night with me in the hospital, so we are going to ask when I get to my room. He said he wants to eat hospital food - LOL! The 4 year old keeps asking why I need to go to the hospital and have the doctor cut on me. It is tough to explain that I need this to be healthy.

My husband is doing better - he was struck by gas and Constipation. He was able to relieve the constipation and pass the gas (TMI :faint:), so he is feeling much better. I am worried that he isn't eating enough, but he seems to be functioning okay. I think he is waiting for me to be able to eat again.

I hope everyone having surgery today does well! GOOD LUCK

hi everyone-

got home from hospital yesterday. still recovering. go back and see dr on tuesday. still in pain, taking tylenol w/codeine. more painful than i expected, but less pain than my csection. do u think i will be ok by sunday for niece's dance recital???

Hey all...I know I'm pretty much just a lurker at this point :) but wanted to say that y'all are doing great and thanks for all your advice/experiences. You are definately calming my fears. Good luck to the ones that are coming up!

I've got another week before I start my pre-op diet. Went to see the anesthesiologist yesterday and the surgery center. Everyone seems really nice and have told me that they love watching people come back afterwards for their fills to see their weight drop.

BeckieT - Granny Apple smoothie? ?? That sounds awesome...how'd ya make it?

Hey I have a question. Does anyone know how long you have to wait to have sex after surgery? Just one more thing to add to my list of to do's! Thanks for the help.

:)~

Hi Everyone I had my suppose lap band surgery yesterday but the doctor found a huge hernia and could only sew up part of it. Was unable to have my surgery due to the surgeron finding a

>>massive hernia in my stomach area, some of her bowels, intestines,

>>and stomach has grown into it. He thinks I might have been born

>>with it or it developed sometime in childhood. He said he is very

>>surprised I never had any problems and it wasn't found 2 years

>>ago when I had my gall bladder taken out. He stated no doctor

>>could have missed it, due to the extreme size. He took out some of

>>the hernia, but my stomach and bowels would not detach themselves

>>from the rest of the hernia. There is a hole in my diaphram (sp?)

>>due to the hernia. This is not life threatening and once I have an

>>operation to fix the problems (it may be several), Then I might be able

>>to have the lap band operation. I need to have a Cat Scan in

>>order to see the amount of damage the hernia has done. I got home about an hour ago and do have the five incision on left side from the hernia Dr. Malley repaired and will go back to work next week. So I will not be a June bandster but hopefully will be a banster some time this year. One good thing my doctor said I could go off diet now and eat whatevery I want. Too bad I had emptied out my freezer and cabinets and gave all my food to my daughter a couple of weeks ago and she said they have eaten almost all of it. HA HA Well I will go lay down for awhile I am having the gas pains and soreness even thought I did not have the lapband installed.

Rita

BeckieT - Granny Apple smoothie??? That sounds awesome...how'd ya make it?

FarmerE: I peeled and diced 1 granny smith apple, combined it with one Boost HP vanilla shake, granola and blended. I also added some ice to thicken a little. Highly recommend putting through a strainer. Delicious! Was about 23 g. Protein.< /p>

A local smoothie shop does this and they use Vanilla yogurt in theirs...I didn't have any on hand, so I just used my Boost.

Hi All,

I just wanted to let you all know that I'm officially in Bandland!!! My surgery was Monday morning. It went well other than the fact that I evidently have no veins. They couldn't get an IV in prior to surgery so they put one in my left wrist and one in my left foot after I went out. I have to say that was a first...to have an IV in my foot.

I wasn't discharged until last evening around 8:00. It seemed like the nursing staff didn't know what to do with me. My last nurse finally came in and said well you're not going home today. That was when I asked to see a doctor. Next thing I know, the same nurse is coming back in with my discharge papers. UGH!

Anyway, it's done now and I feel pretty good. I was a little confused about the diet. First thing this morning I called my dietician and she helped me.

For all you June bandsters still waiting, it wasn't too bad. You'll be joining us soon!

Take care.

Renee

Missy,

I'll be thinking about you tomorrow. My surgery was Monday and all in all, it wasn't as bad as I thought.

You'll do fine.

Renee

Hi Everyone I had my suppose lap band surgery yesterday but the doctor found a huge hernia and could only sew up part of it. Was unable to have my surgery due to the surgeron finding a

>>massive hernia in my stomach area, some of her bowels, intestines,

>>and stomach has grown into it. He thinks I might have been born

>>with it or it developed sometime in childhood. He said he is very

>>surprised I never had any problems and it wasn't found 2 years

>>ago when I had my gall bladder taken out. He stated no doctor

>>could have missed it, due to the extreme size. He took out some of

>>the hernia, but my stomach and bowels would not detach themselves

>>from the rest of the hernia. There is a hole in my diaphram (sp?)

>>due to the hernia. This is not life threatening and once I have an

>>operation to fix the problems (it may be several), Then I might be able

>>to have the lap band operation. I need to have a Cat Scan in

>>order to see the amount of damage the hernia has done. I got home about an hour ago and do have the five incision on left side from the hernia Dr. Malley repaired and will go back to work next week. So I will not be a June bandster but hopefully will be a banster some time this year. One good thing my doctor said I could go off diet now and eat whatevery I want. Too bad I had emptied out my freezer and cabinets and gave all my food to my daughter a couple of weeks ago and she said they have eaten almost all of it. HA HA Well I will go lay down for awhile I am having the gas pains and soreness even thought I did not have the lapband installed.

Rita

Rita,

I am sorry to hear about your hernia - I guess you are lucky that it was found before it caused any damage. Know that you have a spot reserved in Bandland. :)

Nina

Hey I have a question. Does anyone know how long you have to wait to have sex after surgery? Just one more thing to add to my list of to do's! Thanks for the help.

:)~

Yeah....what Evaughn said....:)