Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2007 Bandsters

I think the post op part is what's got me sooo extremely miserable. I meet with the dietician in the morning, so I'll know more then. But from the sheet from my doc, it appears I may be on THIN liquids for at least one week post op. It specifically says no creamy Soups. Pretty much only adding skim milk with carnation instant Breakfast to what I'm doing now!!

Did anybody else's doc give you the patient information book from Inamed? If so, you had to sign a sheet saying you received it.. Anyway, it says thin liquids for the first week as well!!! Anybody else getting the Inamed band?

I guess I just don't understand why some of us drink shakes for weeks before surgery... some do clears for a week... some eat creamy Soup at the hospital... some stay on clears!! I know I'm to do what MY surgeon says... but this is so confusing!

Hello all:

Well, my surgeons office called today and I have an appointment on Thursday for an ultrasound of my galbladder. If it shows nothing my surgery is on for June 7, but if my galbladder needs to come out that has to be done and my surgery rescheduled. I am so worried at this point!!! I hope that nothing is wrong.I have been on this pre opt diet now for 5 days, and most likely will need it for the galbladder too, who knows. I told my husband that if my surgery is cancelled this is a sign, and maybe I should not have it???? Am I getting cold feet or being stupid!

Heather- I am sorry for your rough day, only 2 DAYS left. You can do it. I have a pedicure and nail appointment tomorrow, clear polish only! But it will be nice. When will you get the tests results.

Lisa-be careful with the last supper! I did not read all my materials that I had to bring to my surgeons consult last week, and when I read the one paper that I could not gain more than 5 lbs. since my first visit, NO surgery! I was sweating it out! I gained 4!!! Have a good birthday.

Welcome Pippz!

Lisa H- I never heard of the taste and spit thing! Sounds funny, not sure I can do that. But when I am on day 10 or 14, I might!

Thank you Babygrl for checking in on us!

GOOD LUCK TO THE JUNE 1ST BANDERS!

JANINE

:cool:Heather,

I know what you mean. It is all so different. I guess I feel do what your doctor says and know that some vairiation would not hurt. I would not change my pre opt because of the fear of my liver not shrinking, regardless of what doctor is more on target! But post opt, I am not sure I could stay on liquids for two weeks like some. My diet is a week and then I go back to the doctor, at which time they assess me for soft/mushies. I looked at my sheet and I will be able to have:

Low carb carnation breakfast, skim milk - hospital

then:

Clear Liquids, crystal light, sugar fee kool-aid, etc

full liquids - skim milk, 1%, low carb carnation drink,sugar free fudgesicles,low-fat creamed Soups strained, blenderized low-fat chicken noodle or chicken and rice Soup, slim fast high Protein Drink, 4 0z of no sugar added juices a day, limit caffeine.

And a big bottle of WINE!!!;) JUST KIDDING!!!!!!!

When I met with the nurse practitioner that does most of the visits after the surgery and the fills, she made me feel more human. gave me some alternatives and said we have choices.

Becky,

Thank you for all your info. As you can see above, I have an ultrasound on Thursday. I am hoping it is fine for I really don't want to have my surgery postponed!

I was originally scheduled for June 15th, but was called last week and it was moved up 3 days to the 12th now. I went to pre-op class today & am starting the pre-op diet (scarey!) --So I guess I'm actually on my way to a new life!!! I'm excited and I'm scared that food, fat & bad habits will win. Is that a normal way to feel? What are some of the things you do to succeed and win the battle?

Any hints, tips & suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks for the warm welcome!

First day of pre-op diet DONE. I bought a bunch of craft stuff over the last few weeks to keep me busy. Tonight I taught myself bead-loom-whatever weaving and made a silly Bracelet. Tomorrow, maybe painting!

Goodnight everyone and thanks. I really feel like no one understands what I'm going through right now in my personal life! Or that they don't know what to even say to me.

-Michele

Lisa H-- don't mean to be critical but part of the weight gain could be the chew and spit method you are using-- believe it or not alot of the sugar in food can be absorbed in your mouth and into your blood stream, sugar turns to fat when we take in more than our bodies can use. And then also with the extremely low cal preop diet we are on our body tends to grab on to all the calories it can get and not let go-- that is a way our bodies have adapted to prevent starvation when we were cavemen so all the literature I've read says.

Hi! I am getting banded June 28th with Dr. Ortiz in TJ, MX. I have started the pre-op diet today. Have had 2 Protein Drinks and a WW

meal tonight. I have done well today. I would like to loose 15 pounds

before my surgery on 6/28/07. No headaches today at all. The night

isn't over yet but I think it will be OK. Just wanted to let everyone

know I am having surgery in June. Also, I have a friend going with me

and she is having surgery the same day.

Hi am new to these boards.

Put me down for June 6. Have been on a high protien, low carb diet for

a week now. Have to admit, have cheated a few times, but have still lost 5 lbs.

I enjoy reading everyone else's experiences.

Good luck to all.

I'm with 2bhealthy on the chew and spit thing. I understand the pain of dieting, but you have to remember why you are having surgery. The band is not a cure, it's a tool. It is there to help us change our bad habits and our lives. What's the point of going through all of this just to acquire new bad habits?

The chew and spit thing is actually a very common ritual among bulimics. I'm not inferring that you are bulimic, because it's obviously not something you are in a set habit of doing. But over time it can become something that you are accustomed to doing which is detrimental to your health. Find things that you CAN eat that satisfy your cravings somehow. Be strong!

Oh, and my surgeon's office called today to move my surgery from June 7th to June 8th. Not a big deal, it's actually better since it's a Friday. So if you wouldn't mind changing my date on the calendar, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Getting ready to be banded on Friday, good luck to everyone! I had my required pre-op class today and everything went well. liquid diet still stinks but I am sticking to it.

Good luck to those with dates coming up!

It's only three weeks away for me, too. Hopefully I'll be able to be a June Bandster and not a July one! I'm booked for the 20th, but if the Allergan rep can't be there for me to have the AP place in the 20th, I'll have to be moved...and I won't know for sure until about the 18th. Eeeeep! That means I have to go through yet another round of the crappy bullsh*t pre-op diet (was five days into it when I was cancelled for my date on May 21st). That's money out of my pocket because my MD's office requires you order a certain diet.

Becky,

Thank you for all your info. As you can see above, I have an ultrasound on Thursday. I am hoping it is fine for I really don't want to have my surgery postponed!

Hi Janine! No problem! With that ultrasound they are probably checking for the size of your liver, any masses in that area, and for gallstones. My brother had one done and they push kinda hard he said but maybe that was just his technician ;). You will do fine and the surgery will go on as planned. I will say a prayer for you but u probably dont need it! :) Are you on a pre op diet? Mine is killing me lol I have lost like 15lbs but its so hard! Keep in touch

Becky

I think the post op part is what's got me sooo extremely miserable. I meet with the dietician in the morning, so I'll know more then. But from the sheet from my doc, it appears I may be on THIN liquids for at least one week post op. It specifically says no creamy Soups. Pretty much only adding skim milk with carnation instant breakfast to what I'm doing now!!

Did anybody else's doc give you the patient information book from Inamed? If so, you had to sign a sheet saying you received it.. Anyway, it says thin liquids for the first week as well!!! Anybody else getting the Inamed band?

I guess I just don't understand why some of us drink shakes for weeks before surgery... some do clears for a week... some eat creamy Soup at the hospital... some stay on clears!! I know I'm to do what MY surgeon says... but this is so confusing!

Hotty - Am I wrong but isnt the Inamed Band the only one approved for use as of now in the USA? So aren't we all getting it? I want a booklet!!!!!!!! I think the standards on the lapband are awful and someone needs to make the uniform. We should all be on 2 weeks of liquids pre op and post op or we shouldnt!!!!!!!!! ;) just had to vent :) Keep hanging in there 2 more days for you and you start your new life!

Becky