Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm 5 days post op RNY, after eating I get a really sick feeling.. It makes me lie down.. I feel nauseated and get weak feeling... It first happened yesterday when I had egg drop Soup. I felt bad after eating and did not eat it again. I went back to my shake and I had about 4oz... That too mAde me sick. Today I've had 1 Protein Shake 11oz which was halved and drank at two separate times and I has the same feeling.

Can anyone help me.

I'm 5 days post op RNY, after eating I get a really sick feeling.. It makes me lie down.. I feel nauseated and get weak feeling... It first happened yesterday when I had egg drop Soup. I felt bad after eating and did not eat it again. I went back to my shake and I had about 4oz... That too mAde me sick. Today I've had 1 Protein shake 11oz which was halved and drank at two separate times and I has the same feeling.

Can anyone help me.

You should call your dr. While nausea is pretty common after rny, always feeling sick isnt. Better to be safe and run it by your dr.

I checked my blood sugar and it is low... Any suggestions on how to bring it up on the full liquid phase

I would call the surgeon. Doesn't seem right.

I had a similar issue after the surgery and started to develop hypoglycemia. If you're sugar is getting low, you can take a glucose tab. They're chewable, but I just let it melt when I was on liquid phase. I'm almost 6 months out now and don't seem to have too many episodes at all now. I find adding a small amount of a banana blended into my shake helps too. Good luck!

Thank you for the low sugar when your on liquids only ( I'm 11 days post for RNY) my sugar tonight is 76 and I'm worried I did buy those glucose tablets to have as an emergency but was not sure if it will make me dump?? I see my Dr. tomorrow so will bring this up, but at least it calms me a little knowing I can let it melt in my mouth.

Check with your surgeon but mine told me to drink diluted juice ( I.e. Apple) if low

Some individuals seem to develop hypoglycemia after gastric bypass surgery. Since I was diabetic before surgery, I monitored my blood sugar levels after surgery. When I left the hospital, the doctor took me off all my blood sugar medicine. During the first week after post-op, my blood sugar levels were in the 100's without medication. I discontinued taking my blood sugar levels on a daily basis and only check them periodically. My morning fasting readings were in the range of 70's to 90's whenever I checked them during the past year.

If your blood sugar levels fall into the 40's this may be a sign of trouble and probably a doctor needs to be involved. You can treat a sudden episode of low blood sugar by eating or drinking something with sugar in it. Some examples of "quick-sugar foods" are fruit juice and milk. You may also take glucose tablets. This is usually all that's needed to get your blood sugar level back up in the short term.

In the first few weeks after surgery, you are getting very little nutrition from meals. It is important during this stage to strive towards meeting your Protein, Water and Vitamin requirements. That is what is sustaining you.

Thank you all for your replies. That day my glucose level was 66 and I felt terrible, but I did as you guys have suggested ( I had a little apple juice) and I have not had any more issues. Working hard to get in all my Protein and Water...

This site has been a lifesaver !!!!!

Glad your feeling better. This site is truly a blessing as I've gotten answers to all of my worries that help me to resolve them before they get out of control.

Last night my sugar dropped to 66 and the 1/2 Water & 1/2 apple juice helped bring it right up. Thanks for sharing