Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Last straw stories

I don't think i had a last straw, but I think the fact that i'm not even 20, can't shop in 'normal' clothing stores, am 100+ lbs overweight, have not been normal weight since i've been 10-12. I guess, i know this is the only way i can take control i started looking up RNY (i didnt know about LB) and then found LB, it clicked. I then found this site and was SURE i wanted to do this. So then got a consult, and in less than 1 month, my operation!!

...........I spent 5 years planning on how I was going to lost weight and every time I tried to start it would last about a week if I was lucky; sometimes I wouldn't make it to lunchtime.

Then on December 13th 2006 there was a news item which said that they were going to make the lap band available for teenagers in the UK for the first time. Up until then I had never considered WLS as an option for me. It was always something somebody else did. It was like a light went on in my head; why not me? Within a week I'd had my initial assessment with the dietician and been referred on to the consultant. I saw Mr Krysztopik early January and was banded February 13th 2007. I haven't regretted it for a moment and I am the lightest I've been for 3 years.

My last straw was accupuncture! 5 needles in each ear, 1 in the tops of both feet, 4 in each leg. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! Am I stupid? This was it. No more!!! "It's suppose to curb your cravings" Hokey Pokey!! The only thing I got was a sore ear!!! That night I made up my mind....

you were brave, i know the arent suppose to hurt, but ouch!!!!

After 25 years of struggling with the weight gain, I realized that I could not continue along this "path of self-detruction". I had my first child at 39, with all the complications that come with being obese and pregnant. When my son turned 5, I was diagnosed with Diabetes (after having gestational diabetes while pregnant). I continued gaining weight, yo-yo dieting, gaining more weight, and feeling like a failure after each diet attempt. I have high cholesterol, and need to take multiple meds. 1 year ago, I became insulin-dependent. I no longer have energy, and I want to be able to keep up with my very active, supportive husband, and teenage son. I want to feel "healthy" again. I want to feel attractive. My husband gives me compliments all the time, but I truly want to feel "cutely average". I don't want to be too thin - just average would suit me just fine. I want to enjoy the wonderful life I have with my new husband and my terrific son. They deserve someone who is fun and willing to be adventurous with them. My surgery is scheduled for May 23rd. A new chapter, a journey I am willing to take to finally make things right for me and my family. God has smiled down on me before, He is always there for me, always.

My AHA moment was when i was discussing the lap-band surgery with my mother and i was complaining about insurance not paying and how expensive it would be to have it done. My excuse was that we were saving what we could to buy a house and my mother said, "what good is a new house going to do you if you are not alive to live in it?"

The next day I applied for the loan for self pay and I have NO regrets. That bill is alot less than hospital bills would be for a stroke or heart attack due to obesity.

I was banded last Wedensday and I have never been happier!!!:)

Wasa bubblebutt: Wow, intense story!!!!!!

BrandyK: That is such a sweet story, I loved it!

Losing Just Me: I keep tabs on you on bef and after pics, you look great and I am so proud of you!!

Last straw:

I am another lifer in the school of "been overweight most of my life." I researched Gastric Bypass and knew it was not for me. I found out about Lapband online and started researching it but not too seriously. One night, I went to my friends for a party and she pulled up some photos on her computer. One of the groups she showed was a camping trip we all took in June. There it was- the horrifying truth of the matter. I did not expect I looked like a model in my bathing suit, but I was shocked and horrified at the picture of me from behind next to the river. I came home that night and cried and cried. I scheduled surgery the next day in Tiajuana with Dr. Kuri and had surgery 3 weeks later July 21 06. I love my band and I am so glad to have it! It has been a lot slower than I thought and taken much more will power than I assumed it would. Sadly, the worst things seem to go down the easiest. I have lost 40 lbs and just got my second fill, hopefully I will be loosing some more soon!

It is so comforting and touching to read the different experiences of everyone who has gone through the same things. Thanks everyone for posting your personal stories - I've enjoyed reading them all and hope to see more soon!

My last straw happened at my PCP's office. For years their scales only went to 300 and so I hadn't been weighed in forever. I knew I was over 300 but I figured it couldn't be much over. On day I went in for a sinus infection and my doc said "Hey, we just got new scales today-they go up to 400 now. Do you want to get weighed?" I said OK. Can you imagine...it took years to find a scale to weigh me and when I got on their brand-new scale I was 4 pounds away from not registering on that one either...396. I was mortified. I had talked to my doctor about WLS before and they were not encouraging. They told me "WLS takes a lot of committment." Like, how did they know I couldn't committ to it? I have terrible back issues and had started exercising many times in the past only to hurt myself and give up. Any way, when I saw that 396 I went straight home and called the local bariatric center. I figured I was going to do something whether my PCP would help or not. I had lost 4 lbs by the time I went for my initial consult with my surgeon and it has been a downhill slide back off the scale ever since! Now, hopefully-any scale can calculate my weight now!!

My last straw was a double whammy. My perfectly healthy, normal weight mom had a catastrophic stroke which paralyzed her left side. My thinking was: 1) I WILL have a stroke if I don't lose weight....... she was the perfect size and still had a stroke and 2) for 1 1/2 years, we have had to lift her to do everything. We have been able to keep her home and do this with round the clock help, BUT if she were my size, we would never be able to lift her ourselves, and she would have to go into a nursing home. I don't want to put my own daughter through that!!

The last straw for me was going to the movies with my children and not being able to watch it with them. I didn't fit in the seat....

:cry :cry :cry

The last straw for me was going to the movies with my children and not being able to watch it with them. I didn't fit in the seat....

:cry :cry :cry

I truly understand!!!! I have made the decision Friday to do the LB, and Saturday went out to eat and I knew to request a table- i hate it!!! no more ..:)

I truly understand!!!! I have made the decision Friday to do the LB, and Saturday went out to eat and I knew to request a table- i hate it!!! no more ..:)

Good luck and congratulations on your decision! :)

"totally out of control. I had no routine, no discipline, no structure and was just lurching from day to day"

Jachut, you finally managed to put into words my daily routine. It seems so sad when I see it in print, but that describes my day to day before my surgery to the tee! I seemed to spend most of my day mullygrubbing over what all was going wrong in my life due to my own faults, obesity being the biggest one hanging around in my head. Now I am down 80 lbs., and even though I still don't have a "glamorous lifestyle" so to speak, I do enjoy the things that seemed so tiring, like gardening..shopping...even visiting with friends that I don't have to be embarrased to eat in front of. I know that weightloss also helped my body to perform daily routines without so much pain and discomfort, like cleaning,laundry,cooking. These are just some things that came to mind when I read your post. I suddenly feel I am normal, and not alone in this changing period in my life. Thanks!!!

So glad to be of service :)

One of my reasons for the surgery is that I am in the middle of changing careers and not only do I want to be a good role model, I also want to get healthy and look like I can handle the job. To be effective I will need a lot of energy and stamina. At first I thought that desire a selfish reason, but the more i lose and the healthier I feel, not to mention the self-confidence I am gaining, it was hogwash to feel that way. If I had this surgery sooner I would have realized by life goals before 45.

I am begining to understand exactly! i have made the decision (thanks to was a bubble butt ) to get this done from Friday to today making the arrrangements and gathering $$ i too will be private pay, i should be in bed sleeping but 3 am is good for other things, like finding air fare, emailing bosses for vacation. I can only dream. I told one of the people i am talking with I would love to be able to even ride roller costers again. but i do understand about the weight hindering the job. You just don't have the energy to carry on. I want to live and i can hardly wait to get a firm date and wait for memorial weekend. THis is a crazy ride and don't want it to stop! You know there have been a lot of famous people that didn't become famous until after 65, 85 ect, you are still a young thing.. don't look back in regret keep looking on and going forward. You are an inspiration to many. Even people you probably don't know are watching. good luck !

I had a whole box of last straws over my weight, but was giving up hope about getting the weight off. I had been an expert dieter. I had dieted off hundreds of pounds. ...just gained them back and then some...

My DH had had bypass surgery and it probably saved his life but I just couldn't deal with all the potential complications. Likewise about the RNY. Too risky, too much down time to recover from surgery.

I had never heard of the band until one day seeing a commercial about it on TV! From that moment I started to have hope again. I had to self pay in spite of many co-morbid conditions, but I don't regret it a bit. I'm down to a weight that I have now been for 10 years and I am feeling so much better. (down 42 lbs, 58 to go)

Life is bearable and getting better every day.