Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band removed -- Back and feeling good

I think you would probably lose more weight with a sleeve. Your insurance won't cover it, nor would they cover a band with your BMI at 30 though.

That's what I thought, too, but my surgeon tells me my carrier does cover replacement banding for patients with slippage, regardless of their weight. That's what has me thinking that if I'm ever going to replace the band I have to do it now before a) my surgeon leaves my carrier's network this summer, or :) I gain so much weight that I medically qualify again. :)

I'm really in maintenance mode now (after a lifetime with a BMI of 45+, 30 looks pretty good to me) and if I lose much more weight I'd be looking at plastic surgery--which I can't afford, either. It feels to me like diet, exercise, and perhaps a slightly larger piece of silicone inside me would be the best way to go.

You should indeed ask him what kind he used, if for no other reason than you should be informed about your health. I've heard my doctor say that the difference is slight, but clearly there are people for whom the VG band makes more sense.

Oh, I know what he used on me, the question really is, is what he used what should have been used? I've had .5cc of a fill since 2/14, and I'm pretty tight. I still get pretty hungry in between meals, but it doesn't take much to fill me up, and it doesn't take much to make me PB.

Alexandra, I'm so glad all is well with you. I agree with you that if you can get a replacement you should. If I hadn't lost mine to erosion, I sure would've! I'm struggling to maintain on my own after an initial weight regain of about 40 of the 96# I lost. I don't seem to be able to lose any of the regain, and if I'm not very careful, the pounds jump right on. I even attempted nutrisystem, but can't stick to it on my own. I wish you good luck til you get your safety net back.

wow Alex, lots of news going around LBT!

Glad you are on the road to recovery - and just as happy to hear that your ins. will pay for re-banding! phew!

just wondering.. this 'already hungry' thing, is it like the old pre-banding days? or is it comparable to the banded un-filled days?

just wondering, cause that pre-banded hunger scares the crapola outta me.

Hi Paula!

Now that a few days have gone by, I can report more accurately on the "already hungry" thing. I definitely have more hunger than with my band, and it's probably the same as before I was banded. That is to say, it's probably normal, human hunger. But then, my problem was never really being too hungry; it was eating more than I needed to resolve the hunger (mostly because I ate too fast).

I'm much more aware of the speed at which I eat now, but at the moment find myself unmotivated to regulate it the way I should. I'm thoroughly enjoying eating things that were out of bounds while banded--I just finished the first bagel I've had in 3+ years. It was amazing. I didn't need to eat the whole thing, of course; I was hungry and one half of it would have done beautifully. But because I can, and it was so delicious, I did. ;)

I am not 100% sure I can have another band, but my fingers and toes are totally crossed. Tomorrow I will make a concerted effort to slow the heck down when I'm eating. But today is Sunday, it's a beautiful day, and I'm going to a barbeque later. So... :rolleyes

I understand completely, Alexandra. I feel like I could eat just about anything - and I'm not completely unfilled. It's scary. I had forgotten what real, intense hunger felt like. It's really hard to fill myself up when all I can have is liquid/mushy stuff.

Today I ate soupy, mashed pinto Beans, mashed sweet potatoes, SF Jello with FF topping, Starbucks FF latte, Slim Fast, and a Dixie cup thing of vanilla ice cream.

What I'd really like is a nice steak, cooked on my nice outdoor grill.

Only 15 more days.

Wow, Alexandra...this is so wierd....I think we may have met 4 years ago at one of abkin's support groups---I used to drive almost 2 hours to get up there--he did my surgery in 2003.....I stopped coming to this board because I got some pretty negative remarks that hurt me several years ago, from some users that just were not reading my concerns correctly...I got very frustrated. 2 weeks ago, I had to have my band removed in an emergency surgery due to over 50% of it eroding through my stomach. I had no symptoms, except that I had no more restriction, and I have gained back now over half the weight I lost. I had the "leave well enough alone" attitude. Plus, I am never sick and I am not a good patient, I guess making me not the greatest candidate for the Band. But I did follow the rules! I found a surgeon closer to me who is a genius at laparoscopy, although not as much experience as abkin/bertha. I am very pleased with him as he seems much more thorough, and involved more closely, not so much of a "factory" type feel...anyway, he was very pro-active, I wanted it FIXED...NOW! So he was going to go in and fix it or replace it (we thought it had slipped under the fluoro) but he did an endoscopy just to make sure there was no erosion, and he said I had to go into surgery immediately, like in an hour. My family and I had a cruise planned 3 days later, we had to cancel it. He said I was VERY lucky. This was life threatening...I could have died on the ship...yikes. I was in ICU. My stomach is very damaged. I can never have another band. I am looking into the Vertical Sleeve now, perhaps in a year or so. My recovery has been slow, and painful...I think that the slippage and erosions are VERY UNDER-ESTIMATED! Do you? I am so glad you are ok, I know how you feel losing the band! What procedure are you thinking of doing now? Will you stay with Abkin? Good luck, if I dont speak to you...!

Wow, Alexandra...this is so wierd....I think we may have met 4 years ago at one of abkin's support groups---I used to drive almost 2 hours to get up there--he did my surgery in 2003.....I stopped coming to this board because I got some pretty negative remarks that hurt me several years ago, from some users that just were not reading my concerns correctly...I got very frustrated. 2 weeks ago, I had to have my band removed in an emergency surgery due to over 50% of it eroding through my stomach. I had no symptoms, except that I had no more restriction, and I have gained back now over half the weight I lost. I had the "leave well enough alone" attitude. Plus, I am never sick and I am not a good patient, I guess making me not the greatest candidate for the Band. But I did follow the rules! I found a surgeon closer to me who is a genius at laparoscopy, although not as much experience as abkin/bertha. I am very pleased with him as he seems much more thorough, and involved more closely, not so much of a "factory" type feel...anyway, he was very pro-active, I wanted it FIXED...NOW! So he was going to go in and fix it or replace it (we thought it had slipped under the fluoro) but he did an endoscopy just to make sure there was no erosion, and he said I had to go into surgery immediately, like in an hour. My family and I had a cruise planned 3 days later, we had to cancel it. He said I was VERY lucky. This was life threatening...I could have died on the ship...yikes. I was in ICU. My stomach is very damaged. I can never have another band. I am looking into the Vertical Sleeve now, perhaps in a year or so. My recovery has been slow, and painful...I think that the slippage and erosions are VERY UNDER-ESTIMATED! Do you? I am so glad you are ok, I know how you feel losing the band! What procedure are you thinking of doing now? Will you stay with Abkin? Good luck, if I dont speak to you...!

Hi Mbz,

Wow, what a story! I'm glad you were able to have surgery before things got too serious. I hope your healing proceeds well from here on in.

I'm definitely staying with Abkin/Bertha, they've been absolutely wonderful for me. You're right about the "factory" atmosphere; they are a little overstretched since the third surgeon left. But I feel so very lucky to live near the most experienced lap surgeons in NJ and I'll be with them as long as I can.

My next appointment is on May 3 and at that time we'll be talking about the next move. My preference is to have another band installed, but I want the larger VG band. When I saw Dr. A at the hospital he told me my stomach was fine, but I'll know much more after I see him next week. The idea of having a different procedure done now makes no sense to me, since I'm so much lighter than I was four years ago. But the prospect of being bandless scares me too--I don't want to gain again.

Good luck with everything!!

Oh my gosh Alexandra, I didn't see this post. I hope that you are able to get the new band. You have been such an inspiration for so many of us. I hope that everything goes the way that you hope for and I am happy that you are feeling better.

Alexandra: Congrats on your successful removal...and hope the bar-b-que was fun!!! Through reading this post I have learned about the "larger band" and I am going today to discuss band removal and will bring that up. My insurance is paying to remove band but I will ask how much for band replacement as well. My symptoms are EXACTLY like yours - since December! I have just put up with it hoping that the insurance would change their mind. Not! Anyway, lots of luck on your May 3rd appointment. And I am ready for mine today. I was initially suppose to have surgery tomorrow but got canceled!

Hi Alexandra, long time no post (me).

I'm sorry you went through all that, but happy for you that all went well w/your band removal.

Your picture looks amazing. You've done such a wonderful job w/your weight loss and it shows in your glowing face!

I just posted that I'm having my band removed & going for the RNY.

I'm glad I checked in!

Good luck with your procedures, Karen! Evcase, best of luck to you with your insurance discussions. It's nailbiting, isn't it? Though I'm thrilled with what my doctor told me I still won't really believe it until I get the letter.

Tomorrow I call the surgeon's office to see about scheduling the replacement surgery. Fingers crossed!!

Welcome back Alexandra!! Get plenty of rest. My removal is rescheduled for 14th of this month. Was yours outpatient? Laproscopically?? Recover time?

Good luck with your next appts re: VG band.

Welcome back Alexandra!! Get plenty of rest. My removal is rescheduled for 14th of this month. Was yours outpatient? Laproscopically?? Recover time?

Good luck with your next appts re: VG band.

The removal procedure was a walk in the park, actually. I was on the OR table at about 4:00 p.m. and home the same evening at, um, 8:00? The next morning I felt great, and I could have gone to work that afternoon (but didn't). There was no need to take the next day off either, but I did anyway. Really, I felt wonderful and was amazed!

WOW!! So glad that you are recuperating well from the removal. My removal was a walk in the park compared to the initial surgery to place the band.

So I assume the dr. visit to discuss the VG band has taken place. So what was decided? When is that surgery?

Prayers and warm fuzzies heading your way.