Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need some suggestions

I can't decide between lap-band and gastric bypass. I am 28 years old and I weigh 440 pounds. I have seen two surgeons already. The first one said lap-band would be great for me. I would lose the weight and still be able to have kids. The second surgeon pushed gastric bypass. He said b/c I am so overweight that I would lose more weight by doing gastric. He also told me that since lap-band is a new procedure, there is not much research on the matter. He claims that all bands will have to be replaced in 10-15 years. Has anyone else heard this? Also, his nurse said that they will not be able to access the port to fill the lap-band for someone my size. She said that they do not make 8-12 inch needles to fill the band. First of all, I thought the port was placed in the area under my rib cage. I don't have 8-12 inches of fat there. Also, the second surgeon said that 54% of severe morbid ob. patients that get lap-band end up getting gastric bypass.

I am just very confused on what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

Wow Cutie,

This is a hard question. Both surgeons have good points. I hoping the high bmi'ers will answer you.

Just wanted to post because I care and I am glad you are going the surgery route . You are so young and have so much life ahead of you .

I know you much feel chained to all the weight.

Best wishes,

edie:)

I can't decide between lap-band and gastric bypass. I am 28 years old and I weigh 440 pounds. I have seen two surgeons already. The first one said lap-band would be great for me. I would lose the weight and still be able to have kids. The second surgeon pushed gastric bypass. He said b/c I am so overweight that I would lose more weight by doing gastric. He also told me that since lap-band is a new procedure, there is not much research on the matter. He claims that all bands will have to be replaced in 10-15 years. Has anyone else heard this? Also, his nurse said that they will not be able to access the port to fill the lap-band for someone my size. She said that they do not make 8-12 inch needles to fill the band. First of all, I thought the port was placed in the area under my rib cage. I don't have 8-12 inches of fat there. Also, the second surgeon said that 54% of severe morbid ob. patients that get lap-band end up getting gastric bypass.

I am just very confused on what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :help:

MY COMMENTS ARE IN ALL CAPS

I can't decide between lap-band and gastric bypass. BOTH SURGERIES REQUIRE THE SAME TYPE OF BEHAVIOR MODIFICATION TO BE A SUCCESS. I am 28 years old and I weigh 440 pounds. MY STARTING WEIGHT WAS 570 POUNDS I have seen two surgeons already. The first one said lap-band would be great for me. I would lose the weight and still be able to have kids. THAT'S TRUE. The second surgeon pushed gastric bypass. He said b/c I am so overweight that I would lose more weight by doing gastric. THAT IS A COMMON FALLACY. He also told me that since lap-band is a new procedure, there is not much research on the matter. THAT, HOWEVER, IS A FLAT-OUT LIE. THE LAP-BAND IS NOT A NEW PROCEDURE. IT HAS BEEN AROUND FOR ALMOST 20 YEARS IN EUROPE, AND THE LAP-BAND IS AN FDA-APPROVED DEVICE. THE FDA DOES NOT APPROVE EXPERIMENTAL DEVICES. He claims that all bands will have to be replaced in 10-15 years. THAT IS ALSO A FLAT-OUT LIE. INAMED, THE MAKER OF THE BAND, TELLS SURGEONS TO INFORM THEIR PATIENTS THAT THE BAND IS A PERMANENT IMPLANT. Has anyone else heard this? Also, his nurse said that they will not be able to access the port to fill the lap-band for someone my size. OK, THAT'S THREE LIES AND THEY'RE OUT. I WEIGHED FAR MORE THAN YOU DO, AND GETTING A FILL HAS NEVER BEEN AN ISSUE. She said that they do not make 8-12 inch needles to fill the band. First of all, I thought the port was placed in the area under my rib cage. THAT IS EXACTLY WHERE MINE IS. I don't have 8-12 inches of fat there. Also, the second surgeon said that 54% of severe morbid ob. patients that get lap-band end up getting gastric bypass. HE'S A LIAR, WE ALREADY ESTABLISHED THAT, BUT IF YOU EVER WANT TO DEAL WITH THIS PERSON AGAIN, I WANT YOU TO ASK HIM WHERE HE GOT THAT STATISTIC. INAMED STATES THAT LESS THAN 3% OF ALL LAP-BANDS ARE REMOVED FOR ALL REASONS COMBINED, SO EITHER THIS GUY OR INAMED IS LYING.

I am just very confused on what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated

HERE'S MY ADVICE: NEVER TRUST A DOCTOR WHO LIES.

I would add, stay as FARRRRR away from that second surgeon as you possibly can!!! Run, do not walk, back to the first surgeon.

I would also encourage you to go and check out obesityhelp.com

Read through some of the forums, even the forum for your own state, and really read what the posts are about and what the answers are. Just everyday conversation on the forums for RNY'ers seems to frequently include discussions about Iron infusions, trips to the ER, abdominal pain that is discovered later to be leaks or adhesions in their bowels or blockages. But it is just such a part of their lives, they think nothing of it. True, they've lost lots of weight, and some would answer you that they absolutely would do it a gain even with the complications. And that's great for them. Really, it is. But I'd like to ask them that in five or ten years when the weight is coming back on. Now, I know there are some true RNY/DS success stories out there, and that to me is FANTASTIC. It is wonderful to hear when someone does not have a complication. But the numbers do not lie, the complication and mortality rate for RNY is much higher than that of the Band.

If my weight in five years will be the same whether I do RNY or Band, I'll do Band and not lose sections of intestine, thank you.

Awesome information guys! Putting things aside, with bypass you may lose the weight faster, but that isn't necessarily a good thing. With the band, you will lose slower allowing your body the chance to change with it. This may help lessen the need for plastic surgery later on......surgery that often insurance does not pay for and can be very painful. Your young, your age is going to work for you here in regards to elasticity. I have been contemplating the same decision as you and am definitely leaning towards the band.

I would listen to the gentleman above who weighed over 500 lbs. He would be the best candidate to answer your questions. Good luck. Julie

hi cajuncutie,

welcome.

i started out a little less than you (402.5) and have been banded 6 months today.

best decision i made for myself in a long time. but your decision has to be right for you noone else. do your research on all the procedures (obesityhelp.com is a great site that has forums for different surgeries). you will get people who were banded that say banding is best, and vice-versa for the bypass ... but it is the best for them.

good luck on your journey. if you have any questions feel free to ask!

Thanks everyone! I am so glad to have this support system!!! I have an appointment Thursday with the first surgeon.

Cajun, remember that the lapband is the least invasive surgery and this is safer for the patient. Good luck to you.

CajunCutie, I am in the same boat as you. I am 29 years old and my starting weight was 471. My Dr let me choose which surgery was the best fit for me and he supported my decision. He only stated that the weight would come off faster with the bypass. The time it takes for me to lose the weight isn't of the utmost importance to me. I didn't get this size in 12 months and I don't imagine it would do my body good to lose a bunch of weight that rapidly. My surgeon is a very respected surgeon in the Pacific Northwest and he never once voiced a concern with reaching the port...that just seems like scare tactics to me! I had my surgery on April 3rd and I have my first follow up on Wednesday, but I can truly already see a difference! On the pre op diet I got down to 453! I encourage you to contact me if you want more information on my journey! I am excited and would be willing to answer any questions that I can! Take good care!!

Jennifer :clap2:

I went to see my doc a week ago and he was totally amazed at my progress and stated that I compared to his Gastric Bypass patients, their average weight loss on 3 months was 50 lbs, which is where i am. So, I'm keeping up with the gastric bypass patients. That is exciting. I'm sure I won't be able to keep it up long term.

Good luck on your decision, either surgery will help you become a healthier person. I know there are more side effects and long term malapsorbtion with GB, however, if you follow the doctors instructions, you should be okay. And if you choose Lap-Band, you can succeed too!

You did the right thing by coming here to look for further information on the matter. here you'll find mostly people for the band, but it is important for you to listen as well to the advantages mentioned by those who had the by pass. While doing some research you'll surely find many pros and cons on each side.

You took the first step and that's the hardest one, it takes lots of courage. Good for you!

Lots of luck,

niki

Dear Cajun Cutie,

I think you should go for the gastric bypass. The only question I have is if you could still have kids. I would think you could. You might have to try to eat more often while you're pregnant and take some liquid supplements. I am 33 and I am approaching my second "bandiversary". It has been a long haul! I am on my second band. The first one slipped. I had it replaced because I was scared of gaining the weight back. I said I would do it all over again and I did. I live every day in fear of my second band slipping. There are so many issues with the band. The adjustments aren't bad physically, but they have taken a big toll on me emotionally. It is so easy to get upset if you don't get the restriction you're hoping for and if it is too tight you are miserable and have to make another tip back to the doctor to get it loosened. Depending on where you live, that could mean a plane ride. I drive three hours to Dallas to get my adjustments. It's also expensive if your insurance doesn't pay. The adjustments can be anywhere from $150 - $600! People up North that have less fill doctors usually pay much more. I have already spent more than it would have cost me to get a gastric bypass, but I was just barely big enough to get the lap band. I went to Mexico for the first one and I gained 7 or 8 pounds before my surgery date to get my BMI up between 33 and 34. You are so young and I agree that you should have a surgery. I have a friend that had gastric bypass and she has had much less of a hassle after the surgery. There are no fills to deal with. I know that there are lots of risks, but it's just my opinion that gastric bypass might be better. I am sure plenty of people will disagree with me and I do think the band is great, but if I had been large enough and insurance had paid, I would have gone with gastric bypass. Good luck! I will be happy to answer any questions that you may have!

After reading this, I just wonder where they put that port.. Do they put the port on your stomach or something?? Even really overweight people don't have 8-12" where the port is sewn (that layer, forget what it is now) do they???

Hm.

After reading this, I just wonder where they put that port.. Do they put the port on your stomach or something?? Even really overweight people don't have 8-12" where the port is sewn (that layer, forget what it is now) do they???

Hm.

My port is just below my ribcage, left side, in line with my left nipple.

The port is sewed to the abdomonal faschia.