Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I FAT? Please tell me.

I have two words for you... HOUR GLASS. Ladies work long and hard to get that shape, and so you did. You look great. I too do the "am I fat" talk with myself... I am up a size and feel different... but really, I look good. I feel good. I do tons of stuff now with a lot more ease than before. Is it perfect? No, but really... I am so ahead of the game in some ways... I had better enjoy it while the sun shines! Gratitude to you all, and for the amaizing life I have, zits and all!

@@feedyoureye you got it! We are so, so much better off! I've also come to the realization that I'm a perfectionist, ergo, I'll always find a way to self criticize, unless force myself not to. It's been a couple of weeks that I've consciously been making this decision to accept this weight and declare success, and I'm coming to the same conclusion as you. We need to enjoy the sun while it shines! You look great, too, and I appreciate your encouragement :)

Gorgeous!!! I'm almost a year post and down 122 pounds. It's so slow now and my BMI is still 32. Not sure I'll ever see 25. I think I'll be ok with that. Im not done yet but can't quite imagine another 50 coming off. Maybe in time? I don't know. But you define health, fitness and fab right where you are. Gorgeous!!!!

I dunno about you guys, but I'm 69 years old.

Do you know that the way I look today is probably the dewiest I will look for the rest of my life?

Compared to 5 years from now, 10 years, 15 years from now ... I look f**king AMAZING!

It is time-time-time-time-time-time for us to live in the present. Today really is all we ever have.

I wish I had a magic wand I could zap all you guys and me with that would help us constantly be aware of this. Living here and now truly is the secret to happiness -- not weighing 10 pounds less or having 5% less body fat.

After all, look at all the gifts and potential gifts we've already given ourselves by having WLS. Couldn't we just give ourselves this other gift, too?

@@VSGAnn2014 Yep, we do have to live in the moment and be grateful for it, because whatever "it" is that we have, can all be taken from us in an instant. Many years as a hospice nurse have taught me that and also really helps to put things into perspective.

So, when you spend a lot of time and effort on one facet of your life, and then spend a lot of time talking about it with like minded people, it might give impression that there is nothing else going on in our lives. It also has the potential to take over if we let it, so it is important to not be too narrow minded in our thoughts.

Two things, though: If you had a magic wand, just zap me to a permanent and healthy BMI lol! And two, while it's true none of us is getting any younger in years, I think weight loss can turn back time from a health perspective. I am way healthier than I was two years ago. And a little help from my plastic surgeon has definitely made me look way better and younger on the outside, too! I haven't decided, but I might be getting a little "dewier" ;)

I do totally agree with your message, though! It is absolutely time to be good to ourselves and be happy. It's a choice, almost always.

@@CrazyJaney Thank you, and Congratulations on your great loss! Such an accomplishment in a short time. You're smart to know that you may or may not get to a normal BMI. I saw some people have as much to lose as me and get there, and thought I should be able to, too. I now know that it is the exception, and not the rule when we have so much to lose. And it's not a failure to not be one of the ones who can't do that. There's more to it than just eating less and exercising and it's a guarantee of getting there. Science still does not have all the answers about obesity.

I saw my surgeon last week for my 2 year visit, and was looking through the book of successful weight loss patients. Very few had a normal BMI, and most were squarely in the overweight category, and some were still in the obesity category in the low 30s. He is considered a highly successful surgeon with good outcomes, and the practice is certified as a center of excellence. We are all so much better off than where we came from - a true gift. :)

I dunno about you guys, but I'm 69 years old.

Do you know that the way I look today is probably the dewiest I will look for the rest of my life?

Compared to 5 years from now, 10 years, 15 years from now ... I look f**king AMAZING!

It is time-time-time-time-time-time for us to live in the present. Today really is all we ever have.

I wish I had a magic wand I could zap all you guys and me with that would help us constantly be aware of this. Living here and now truly is the secret to happiness -- not weighing 10 pounds less or having 5% less body fat.

After all, look at all the gifts and potential gifts we've already given ourselves by having WLS. Couldn't we just give ourselves this other gift, too?

This might be my most favorite post I've EVER READ! So true!

MichiganChic!

Thank you so much....I could have written your post. We must share an inner monologue narrator (Mine is Janeane Garofalo, I swear!).

I'm 5'7. I lost from 322lbs down to 175lbs (most days). The lowest I ever got was the day after giving birth to my son, I was 169lbs. Per BMI, I am still fat at 26.2. I wear Large scrubs (cause I have a huge pannus), and a size 12. I constantly feel like I am a BIG FAT FAILURE, and that I look worse now at this size that I ever did at a size 26.

Unlike your doctors, I constantly get hounded to lose more weight. As a type 2 diabetic, my endocrinologist wants me in that sacred 'NORMAL' zone of 19-24 BMI, which I can't seem to hit for the life of me. My insurance offered to pay for Weight Watchers, since I obviously need it per the required health survey results.

I just wanted to applaud your courage in speaking your thoughts. Thanks for showing some of us that we're not alone.

@CrazyCatLady Thanks for your comments. I have really had to shift my mind set. I really, really wanted to hit that normal BMI. I'm sorry you can't get anyone to confirm that you are not fat! It shouldn't matter to me what others say, but obviously it did. I still find myself thinking "10 more pounds" but it's really just fleeting thoughts now. Then I remember I'm good like I am. What a relief! I hope you can get there, too! I feel a little like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz. I had the power to declare success all along!

Your picture looks quite thin, and it sounds like you have some skin, so there's your miniscule overage on the BMI. I'd say you are a success!