Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, all. I've finally reached my breaking point. I've done the Weight Watchers thing and regained the weight (more than once). I'm sure a lot of you know that old, sad story. My brother had gastric bypass; no way am I going there, but I've had my initial appointments/counseling about banding. I'm not sure whether to tell a lot of people. I'm inclined to not go there; I hate the judgmental looks/snarky comments. Funny, though, I did tell my boss, who is also a friend. When I did, her eyes lit up; she's considering it, too.

I know my future holds diabetes, hypetension...I want to get a handle on it now while I'm still just a cranky, but fairly healthy, middle-aged woman rather than becoming a sick, feeble, bitter old woman. I'll have to self-pay. I'm not quite "fat" enough, and it seems silly to eat even more to reach the magic 40 BMI. Plus my insurance only does bypass, not banding.

So, I'm a newby and looking forward to the advice and support I can get from y'all. I have one question for those of you who've done it and are into the normal eating part of it. How do you manage the work-related food functions and lunches w/ the office gang? How did you get over the "clean plate club" mentality? OK, that's two questions, but you know what I mean.

Thanks.

Kat

Dearest Kat,

Oh girl you are in for a treat.

Now that I am in the "normal" eating part of it like you wrote. It is so easy.

How do you handle the nornal office eating? You eat but just not very much. If I was at that get together......

I would be saying ohh that looks good.. I would get a small about about 2 bites of EVERYTHING I wanted. While everyone else is stuffing their faces I would be nibbling and picking around on my food.

The clean plate goes away with a band (I love it) . I KNOW now the signal my stomach give me. It says "whoa" loud and clear to me. I stop .

Sure at first I would look longingly at what was left on my plate and WANTED to eat it. I soon knew I was putting too much on my plate. When I matched my eyes with my stomach my plate would be empty and my stomach was full. True it has taken me a while to come to grips with not be able to eat as much as I want . My size 12 jeans feel so GOOD compared to the size 26's of last summer.

good luck

edie

Thanks for the great advice! That makes all the sense in the world to me. And CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your goal weight. You go, girl!!!

well I was just banded on 3/22 and so far i have lost 17 lbs since the day I weight in at the hospital. But as for food right now i am on full liquid/some mushies. And let me tell you . My stomach definetly tells me when I am done with eating. Not PBing but I am just basically paying attention and realizing when its full. I am sure it will get tougher the longer I have the band because of slacking off. But so far so good. Good luck on your decision.

Chatgirl, good to hear from a newby. Glad to hear it's working out for you so far. My mind is almost totally made up; only the financial hit is between me and banding, I think. But I'm coming up with a plan for that, too, so I hope to join the ranks of the banded in May or June.

I pretty much eat what I want...just in much smaller quantities! Perhaps 1/2 of a cookie now, instead of 4 cookies! I do get a trifle bit annoyed when the company brings in food, and there is absolutely nothing I can eat, and they all know I had the surgery. But it isn't their responsibility to make sure I can eat what they bring in, so I always have something stashed in my desk that I can eat, and still join in the fun.

Our office isn't known for its love of healthy choices either. Good idea about keeping something in the desk. I love the idea of being able to stop at a small amount rather than stuffing myself. Just because someone brings Breakfast tacos doesn't mean I have to eat two of them! Of course, at this point that's exactly what I do.

Hi Kat, welcome. I socialize fine, I just don't eat much. I can eat say 1 piece of pizza, a 1/4 of a sandwich, that is about it. You just take smaller portions on your plate. That is all. Good luck. Julie

hi my name is theresa i was banded 12/22/06 i have lost 43lbs gone from a size 26 to 18. i have had to go through 3 major holidays and have done great. i eat just about what everyone else does not sugar or white flour.just got through easter with a couple jelly Beans. One thing that has helped me is to only eat off of a saucer if it wont fit i dont get it, and believe me you loose the desire to overeat. The best thing i did in the beginning was to keep a food journal that really helped , I hope this helps with the decision making, i would do this again in a second, oh and i was a self pay also. Good Luck

Y'all convinced me. I'm going to do this!! Thanks for the advice and support. It's good to have a group like this out here for folks like me.

Kat

Hi,

My name is Janine, and I have my banding scheduled for June 7. I have been going through the application process, appointments, etc. I was a bit disappointed that I have to wait until June 7, but it will come before I know it.

MoKat, I do not have a bmi of 40, but 36. I have other health issues that pushed my approval through. My insurance just added the band to this years policy, I was so excited. I could not afford it. I have tried many diets too and lost and gained it back. I am looking forward to the band, realizing that I still have to make good choices.

I do have a question for Chatgirl6, what is pbing?I have read that pb stuff, but I guess being new I don't know the lingo?

My one concern is coffee and having a glass of wine or two on a weekend. One issue that could happen with the band is erosion from alcohol use, but is two glasses a week bad? does anyone know this answer? I sound like and alcoholic! I am not:)

I am nervous about the adjustment to food too, but I feel I need to make a change to live longer! Keep me posted on your journey

Janine

Clean Plate is the hardest one - but I try to just take a little tiny bit of food.... and I use a smaller plate.

Office functions - nobody even notices... Get a plate - put a dot of this and a smear of that on it and by the time you are done, nobody can really tell that you are eating any differently than the rest of the office. All they will notice is your great self restraint cause your plate isn't overloaded.

If you are eating out - you have to leave food behind - but you won't be lying when you tell people you are full. :]

For emergencies, I keep a salmon cup or two in my desk. Get then at Walmart in the tuna section - 2.8 oz of chopped salmon in either Honey BBQ Sauce or Mandarin Orange sauce. I eat one of those and a 16 cracker serving of reduced fat wheat thins. That is a perfect lunch.

:]