Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not a sugar dumper but....

My husband and me met some friends yesterday for lunch I am 11 months out have lost 103 lbs have 2 more lbs to goal. So I am very mindful of what I can and can not eat. I found out a while back that sugar does not bother (shucks) but I treat it like it does. What I have heard is just because it doesn't once doesn't mean it won't. Anyway looking at the menu they had grilled shrimp. So I thought to myself sounds like a good choice so that is what I ordered. We'll it came saturated in butter. I took every piece and squeezed it in my napkin to remove all the excess butter, it was actually pretty good. Sat for about 30 minutes after eating enjoying conversation with friends. We said our goodbyes hubby and I got in car and headed home. Coming down Our road I got the worse pain in my stomach that I have ever had in my life, told hubby he better get me home quick (we were 2 houses from ours at the time the pain hit) I got out of car and $hit started flying every where. There was nothing I could do. I could not move. I am just glad we didn't stop at the store. We live kinda out in the country so I went around back took off my pants and hosed myself down. My poor hubby didn't know what to do. He was kinda paralyzed to. This is not something I want to happen ever again. Has this happened to anyone else besides me and Al Roaker? So if you are not a sugar dumper doesn't mean you won't dump on other things. Some people sugar, some high fat, some grease. It is kinda funny now, not at the time it was happening.

Fancy 57...Oh \, I hate that you had that "episode"...I am 15 months "out" too and am NOT sugar sensitive (unless it's enough to make a "normal" person feel sick as well). Although I've never had a really SEVERE issue like yours, I do find that certain fats seem to bother me. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be too much of a rhyme or reason to it...when it DOES bother me, it's usually from a "liquid" oil/fat overload that does it, rather than just fats/oils IN food....your shrimp would fit that scenario for me. Whenever I splurge and have something like that, I really have to be VERY cautious with QUANTITY...meaning (really) only about 2-4 bites, then quit. For me, at least, it ALL (sugar, fat, oil, any YUMMY bad stuff!!) seems to be a certain THRESHOLD level, then wham!!! So far, mine has really only resulted in some gut pain and feeling like I WISH I could throw up (to get it OUT) but I have to just lay down and wait for it to pass....I haven't had your issue, but I've had to "pucker and run" (sorry to be so graphic!!) a handful of times in my 15 months. Hope you are able to determine your threshold so you won't have such an accident again.

(PS...my mom had stomach surgery MANY years ago...she had MULTIPLE issues similar to what you mentioned...her surgery was due to a bleeding ulcer, not bariatric surgery...but it does seem to be a specific "trigger" unique to each individual...she never was able to "find" her issue entirely, but she did find some things that helped/hurt her somewhat.

Sorry to be so long-winded, but hope this helps! Congrats on reaching your goal...WHOO HOO!!! :)

Fancy, so sorry you went thru that! I can relate since those episodes happen to me now and I haven't even had surgery yet. It comes on so fast that I often don't make it to the bathroom. I hope that never happens to you again!

I was wondering about other things that made people have this! I havent yet as I am only on puree so far. But I have stopped caffeine and had a small reduced fat ice coffee, it had sugar in it still and I had a bit of an upset stomach after it. Butter was a worry for me for sure - thanks for that honest and personal post...

I'm sorry for laughing but ROTFLMBO!!! I am 1 week out from surgery so I haven't experienced dumping yet but you almost made me pop a stitch when I read this. I know it had to be so horrible for you at the time. My sister in law is almost 10 years out & she's experienced it all. She dumps with sugary, fried, greasy or oily foods. Sometimes it evens happens with sugar free foods. I hope that never happens to you ever again.

Edited by w8loser