Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein Q's...a lil help please!

Hey y'all,

While I love my surgeon and his staff...I don't always think of my questions while I am sitting there....

This is where my expert friends on here come in!

I was told Protein first when it comes to eating...what I don't know is..how much Protein? How often? How much per meal? What are the best ways to get it in? And why do I need to focus on it?

Ok...I'm ready for a lil guidance from all the masters out there!!

Thank you!!

Didn't the nutritionist give you guide lines of how much Protein to have each day?

You need Protein to help you heal from surgery.

You need protein to keep everything functioning correctly.

Best ways are eating meat, poultry and fish.

You also drink Protein shakes or eat Protein Bars.

The two Protein Bars recommended to me by the nutritionist are Pure Protein Bars and Quest Bars.

You could use powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury Soup or cheese sauce to get in protein.

So protein, Water, and your Vitamins and supplements are all major important.

I hope this helps little.

Good luck.

Didn't the nutritionist give you guide lines of how much Protein to have each day? You need Protein to help you heal from surgery. You need protein to keep everything functioning correctly. Best ways are eating meat, poultry and fish. You also drink protein shakes or eat protein bars. The two protein bars recommended to me by the nutritionist are Pure Protein Bars and Quest Bars. You could use unjury Soup or cheese sauce to get in protein. So protein, Water, and your Vitamins and supplements are all major important. I hope this helps little. Good luck.

No, :( the nutritionist did not give me guidelines about protein. The only thing I know is I'm not supposed to have Protein Shakes after week 2...and I'm in week 4. They say they discourage the use of liquid calories after week 2?!?!

Thanks for the advice and recommendations!!

Hey y'all,

While I love my surgeon and his staff...I don't always think of my questions while I am sitting there....

I was told Protein first when it comes to eating...what I don't know is..how much Protein? How often? How much per meal? What are the best ways to get it in? And why do I need to focus on it?

Thank you!!

My surgeon recommends 60-80grams of protein per day either shakes,food,protein bars..whichever fits your lifestyle best. I use several forms for protein,I like the whey liquid tubes berry flavors @Wal-Mart 42grams per tube,injury Orange creme&other flavors @Amazon,pure protein bars @Wal-Mart ..injury brand mixes very well no grit,also Vitamin shoppe has bariactric protein also& mixes well.

Hey y'all,

Thank you!!

Also get diet v8 splash& mix 1scoop w/16oz of v8splash in shaker bottle then pour into your empty Water bottle,that way you get protein &fluids in @ same time.. I'm 8months post op & doing good.

With regards to having a nut, I waited to talk to one then was sure I'd have one before I left the hospital but nope, never had one. I've just been winging it and following the folks on this forum. The surgeon did tell me 60 grams of Protein a day and suggested Premier Protein shakes from SAMs.

Hey y'all,<br>

While I love my surgeon and his staff...I don't always think of my questions while I am sitting there....<br>

This is where my expert friends on here come in!<br>

I was told Protein first when it comes to eating...what I don't know is..how much Protein? How often? How much per meal? What are the best ways to get it in? And why do I need to focus on it? <br><br>

Ok...I'm ready for a lil guidance from all the masters out there!!<br>

Thank you!!

I am 4 weeks post op, I'll tell you what my Nut told me. 60-80g of protein per day. I'm still having to use protein shakes at this point to help get all the protein in, but in regards to actual food she told me start with 1 oz per meal and work up to 3 oz per meal. Eventually you should be getting 3 oz of protein at each meal. 1 oz of protein such as chicken, fish, chili, refried Beans etc..is equal to about 7g of protein. Right now I'm eating about 6 times per day because I'm still only eating 1-2oz at each meal.

Hope this helps :)

My doctor recommended between 75-90 grams of Protein daily. At the beginning, this will come from your Protein supplements (protein shakes and protein bars), because the volume from your meal plan is so small, you can't pack much protein into it. For me Muscle Milk Light (vanilla Creme) worked well for the Protein Shakes and QuestBar worked good for the protein bars. I normally use protein bars when I am up and about and unable to haul my blender around to mix a Protein shake.

I am now 11 months post-op. I reached my bottom at month 6. At bottom, my goal is to maintain my weight loss rather than lose weight. Therefore my focus is different. I can allow a few extra calories in my diet. My meals provide me with about 50 percent of my protein requirement. My protein supplement consists of one large cup of hot cocoa ("no sugar added" Nestle) in the morning and a large berry smoothie around dinner time.

The protein supplements do not count against your meal plan volume limits. It took me a while to understand this.

When you said, "I was told protein first when it comes to eating". I hadn't heard this before. I have heard that it is important to eat your protein supplement prior to eating your meals. The rationale is that protein helps take away your hunger so therefore you will not be tempted to overeat.

When you said, "The only thing I know is I'm not supposed to have protein shakes after week 2...and I'm in week 4. They say they discourage the use of liquid calories after week 2" That is very strange. How are you suppose to get in your protein requirement without a Protein Shake. I have heard that they do not want you to drink liquids with your meals. But that is a meal requirement. But cutting out protein shakes after week 2 does not make any sense.

post-202202-0-32065100-1397961846_thumb.jpg

I hope that you can see this sheet...and it allows you to zoom. Please look at week 3...1st line! This sheet was given to me by my doc. I could t make this stuff up if I tried...

Irrespective of what is on the sheet you received, you need to obtain the proper amount of Protein each day. Protein deficiency, when continued over a long period of time, can cause a disease known as protein calorie malnutrition (PCM). The common symptoms of PCM are: poor healing, hair loss, muscle loss and lack of energy.

In the early stages right after surgery, your meals are so small that you are unable to obtain the proper amount of protein from meals alone. That is why individuals that undergo Gastric Bypass Surgery rely on protein shakes, protein bars and other protein supplements.