Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

This site is wonderful! :D

My daughter is a member, she was told about this site by her surgon's office. I joined to support her in her journey. I have watched her struggle and support her decision to have WLS to the point I am probably driving her crazy! She is my "baby girl" even though she will be 28 this year.

I will begin by saying, she lives in NY... I live in Michigan, and even though we don't live close together, we are very close. My daughter and her brothers are my life and I have always tried to support their choices even if I don't nessesarily agree with them. That being said... I believe my daughter will succeed with the tool of the sleeve. She has struggled and has made her mind up that this is what she wants to do, so I will do whatever it takes to make sure she has as much support as she needs. I have read your stories, struggles, complications, and successes... I have smiled, laughed, and shed a couple tears for you all !!

Do I have concerns when it comes to my daughter and this surgery...OH yes! I worry, but she is doing everything she needs to so she is ready for this milestone in her life. I have done so much research you would think it was me having the surgery. LOL There are risks in everything we do in life. This surgery may be a risk as is any surgery, but I believe this may just save her life and give her the "boost" she needs and deserves.

She is a very beautiful woman, and has a heart of gold. After she has this surgery she will be Beautiful and Healthy!

It will be a hard road, and I am sure she knows that, but knowing she has this site and people that have gone through it or will go through it with her makes all the difference! I will always be here for her and support her in any way I can, but I do not personally know what she will endure in this journey, so I am thankful she has you to encourage and answer any questions she might have.

Thank you all for "listening" to my ramblings. ;)

I just want to say hello, and congratulations for being such a loving and devoted mom. A lot of fellow sleevers face family members who are less than supportive. It is absolutely refreshing for someone to be so supportive and understanding. Your daughter is a lucky girl!! I wish you BOTH well in this journey!

Wow…that was so nice to read!

You are amazing and your daughter is so lucky to have you as a tremendous support!

Having that distance between you is tough but just having someone to talk to is a tremendous support no matter what WLS you end up getting!

Wishing your daughter much success!

And you are right…this is an amazing place with wonderful, supportive, and kind people! There is no place quite like it….

Thanks @@Alex Brecher for creating a place where we can ALL come!

Hello and welcome. Your daughter is blessed to have you!

Thank you for the welcome...... I am far from amazing lol, but I do Love my daughter with all that I have!

I know what you mean by some family and friends not being supportive, but I believe that they are not willing to do the research nessesary to fully understand (even those that have their own struggles). I personally am not considered "obese" but know what it's like to try to lose 30 lbs, I can not even pretend to say I understand having to lose upwards of 100 lbs or more!! My daughter will ALWAYS have me to talk to, no matter what, we may be far in distance, but she is always in my heart and as a mother, I will try to support her in any way I can. She knows I am only a phone call or text away, and if she wants me there when she goes thru this, I will move mountains to be with her.

Some people have told her she should eat in moderation and hire a personal trainer.. WTF? you don't think she's tried whatever she could. By no means is this the easy way out! I just want to slap the snot outta them! :angry:

All the best to y'all in your own journeys, stand strong, keep your chins up and know we are here for each other! :D

I'm 54 and my 89 year young mother totally supported my WLS. As she said the other day, she was so glad to see me take the weight off before I started dealing with all the weight related medical conditions that I am sure was in my very near future. There is no love like a MOTHER'S LOVE. Your daughter is lucky to have you for her mom!

You remind me of my Mom, she is an outstanding Mom and I believe you are too. Your daughter will never forget all the support and love you give her.

I hope that with all my heart your girl has an easy time of it when she starts her journey. Having support is one of the biggest hurdles some patients have on here.

You can get the answers and opinions of hundred of people who have been there done that or had that. This forum is a wonderful instrument for these surgeries.

Keep us posted. Would love to know when she has it and how her recovery is.... :)

I do have a amazing mom. She has been there from the first day i told her i was going to go through with the surgery. She calls me every time she finds new information that will help me through this journey. I know i can call her anytime and just talk to her if i am not sure about something. I can not ask for a better mother. I am so glad i have her as part of my support.

I do have a amazing mom. She has been there from the first day i told her i was going to go through with the surgery. She calls me every time she finds new information that will help me through this journey. I know i can call her anytime and just talk to her if i am not sure about something. I can not ask for a better mother. I am so glad i have her as part of my support.

You are a lucky lady!

Good luck with your WLS….keep us posted on how you are doing please!

She only said all that because I told her to. LOL

I love you my beautiful daughter, and yes, I will be there for you no matter what. Your happiness is what counts.

I am such a proud mother, you have no idea! I am proud of the strength you have found within yourself to make this journey and I believe you will win! :)

:) It warms my heart to read this. My mom has been one of my biggest cheerleaders.

It has meant the world to me.

My mom is very supportive as well. Most of the people who have not been...have no clue about weight loss surgery. Best of luck to your daughter!!

Okay, now you guys have me crying. I wish my mom was still here on earth as I know she would give me this same kind of support. I have not shared my WLS with any family members other than hubby and daughter because of the ignorant comments I know I would get. I think it is wonderful that Mamabear has done all of this research and spends time reading the boards. She is an INFORMED and supportive family member. Wish they could all be that way. I am so thankful that Alex created these boards...we owe him a lot. I am thankful for all of the members here and for their willingness to be so open and real, I've learned a lot and the support from strangers is amazing. Feeling so blessed today.

Okay, now you guys have me crying. I wish my mom was still here on earth as I know she would give me this same kind of support. I have not shared my WLS with any family members other than hubby and daughter because of the ignorant comments I know I would get. I think it is wonderful that Mamabear has done all of this research and spends time reading the boards. She is an INFORMED and supportive family member. Wish they could all be that way. I am so thankful that Alex created these boards...we owe him a lot. I am thankful for all of the members here and for their willingness to be so open and real, I've learned a lot and the support from strangers is amazing. Feeling so blessed today.

Thank you. I am sorry about your Mom. {{ hugs}}

When my daughter informed me she was thinking about WLS, I thought OMG! but then realized, I did not know that much about it, so decided that it was important to be informed before giving my "mother speech" What I learned has been invaluable ! I would have supported her no matter what, as this is HER journey. So as I looked into it and read, watched videos, and spoke to someone who has had the VSG, I now can say to her... look here, look there, find a buddy, understand that this is not going to be a piece of cake, you COULD have complications, but having your tooth pulled can also have complications.

In the end of it all.... she had to make the decision that is best for her, it is HER LIFE..

There are so many people with opinions on WLS, my question to them is Do you KNOW anything about it or just hearsay? Do your research and then MAYBE we'll listen to your opinion.