Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre surgery Opti fast & Cheating

i have 7 days till my surgery ( april 4th) and I have now finished week 5 of my 6 week Optifast pre surgery diet.. & i hate it hahaha 6 weeks of Optifast is ridiculous, i have lost 10kgs in 5 weeks though so that is great!

I will confess i have cheated twice both times with a bag of potato chips.. I was reading thru other people who have done the same.. as far as i can tell it wont do any harm for surgery but still i feel bad about it ohh well .. I have done so well so far I am not going to let this set me back , my starting weight was 135kgs in June 2013 I am now 106kgs I am very excited about the next step moving foward. ;)

I also had to have my gall blader removed 2 weeks ago ( by the same surgen) and i would not reccomend this while being on optifast beacuse all you want is something comferting to eat .. even toast..

I guess why i cheated was i had my last weigh in on Monday and then i think i was rewarding myself for a job well done.. and I also knew that after surgery i cant eat anything ..

Anyways people if you cheat like I did then just pick yourself up and move on and try not to do it again ! :)

Also just a side note i personally lasted 4 weeks before i cheated and i find it amusing that some people cant even last 14 days I would have loved to only be on optifast for 14 days not 42 !

During my 2 week liquid diet my son brought me 1 BBQ potato chip every day. I really looked forward to that 1 chip.

During my 2 week liquid diet my son brought me 1 BBQ potato chip every day. I really looked forward to that 1 chip.

This made me lol! My Birthday was 3/17. I ate cake ( 1 small piece)! Deal with it!!

Currently at work there is a massive leaving morning tea going on and there is everything here to eat i will be strong and not give In wish me luck :)

Hey there Jessiegirl30 - I have a 5 week Optifast lead in to my surgery on 14 April and I agree it's not the greatest. I cheated once, just had to have grilled fish, on day 14 no less! No batter or anything but just had to have it! I confessed to my dietician and it's all good - she just gave advice that Protein might slow weightloss but cheating with carbs would put a halt for a day or two and go straight around my liver - so who knows for sure. I'm back on track and have lost 10kg in a little over 2 weeks.

We just have to keep on keeping on - good luck on the 4th!

I will say this when it comes to cheating. My surgeon only used 4 incisions instead of five due to my liver being shrunk so much. This was because I stuck to the diet. But I did almost cheat one time.

I woke up with 4 incisions as well. I wonder if I did a good shrinking job too?

Thanks for the feedback it's great to know I'm not the only one struggling thru it :)

I woke up with 4 incisions as well. wonder if I did a good shrinking job too?

My surgeon said the fifth incision is for a tool that holds up your liver. So there is an advantage to following the diet and your liver being shrunk. Congrats on your surgery.

Edited by Chance1812

My surgeon said the fifth incision is for a tool that holds up your liver. So there is an advantage to following the diet and your liver being shrunk. Congrats on your surgery.

Thanks! You too!

Don't feel bad. I ate about 3 small bags of chips during my fast

I didn't know some ppl had to do the liquid pre-op diet for 5-6 weeks!! And here I am pouting about the two weeks i'm staring down...

Don't feel bad. I ate about 3 small bags of chips during my fast

how long did you have to fast for?

I only did mine a little over a week. Don't think I would've made it 5 weeks

Edited by ShayLove

I was wondering about this, as I host Easter here every year and this year it's 3 days before my surgery. Now I don't want to cancel it because I enjoy it, but I am wondering if I can eat anything at all that day? What if I JUST eat Protein?