Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What changes are you making Pre-Op?

I am about 1/2 way through my pre-op consults and waiting period - right now it looks like my surgery will be the last week of May.

I am starting to make life style changes like:

• Drinking a lot more Water between meals
  • No drinking while eating
  • Started drinking Protein shakes
  • Trying to cut back on portion size
  • Bought a FitBit to track activity
  • Taking Vitamins

What are you all doing? and how's it going?

When I was pre-op, I started journaling al my food intake on MFP. I started exercising regulary (okay semi-regularly). I gave up drinking everything except Water and black coffee. No drinks with calories and nothing carbonated. Those were my big changes.

taking Vitamins

Water water water and more water

i love my food diary (myfitnesspal)

reading labels

If you're a big caffeine drinker, you might want to consider stopping a few weeks before surgery- what I did was cut that out three weeks ago. Saw it posted by a few post-op patients saying they wished they did it pre-op. I'm imagining caffeine withdrawal + surgery pain/ gas is pretty miserable.

Although, the moment I'm cleared for coffee again (my surgeon allows it sometime after) I'm having a GIANT mug and then probably going to be up for days lol. I don't feel guilty either because I like black coffee, not saying that adding anything to it is necessarily bad ;)

Slowly cutting back on my morning coffee :o Though my surgery is nearly 2 months away-I'm really going to miss my coffe, so I thought I would start very early and cut it out slowly. No afternoon cup, only tea until May. I'll eventually switch to black or green tea in the morning and then go to just the Protein shake. I'm debating whether to get some Swiss Water processed decaf...Anyone do that instead of giving up their coffee?

1. Getting off caffeine

I live in Denver where it is DRY so I already drink lots of Water

2. Trying not to drink with meals

3. Doing some activity each day: walking, yoga or tai chi

4. Getting off sugar so I don't crave it

5. preparing to low carb again (slowly, like one meal a day, then move to 2 meals a day low carb)

6. Breakfast is a Protein Shake made with unsweetened almond milk-should move to water in May

7. Reading and researching like crazy so I am prepared for anything

Your plan sounds great- I think starting these things help a lot!

Tip from a coffee fiend- yesterday I went to Starbucks with a friend and I got something DELICIOUS. Not for everyday because you'd end up broke, but it's a good treat. I got a Decaf, sugar-free caramel latte with whole milk. I think the whole milk helps it taste more real and it's still only like 120 calories for tall =)

Your plan sounds great- I think starting these things help a lot!

Tip from a coffee fiend- yesterday I went to Starbucks with a friend and I got something DELICIOUS. Not for everyday because you'd end up broke, but it's a good treat. I got a Decaf, sugar-free caramel latte with whole milk. I think the whole milk helps it taste more real and it's still only like 120 calories for tall =)

Oh wow, vsg_joanna, you are so close to surgery and you have lost so much weight already! Inspiring! Are you super excited? Where are you having surgery?

I got notified that FitBit is recalling the FitBit Force - so I'll be looking for an alternative. Any suggestions?

I've not had soda or a carbonated drink in a month now - not missing it.

My biggest struggle is adding exercise to my life.

<p>I got notified that FitBit is recalling the FitBit Force - so I'll be looking for an alternative. Any suggestions?</p> <p> </p> <p>I've not had soda or a carbonated drink in a month now - not missing it.</p> <p> </p> <p>My biggest struggle is adding exercise to my life.</p>

I have the UP band by Jawbone. Works great.

I do enjoy my coffee too :) I have cut back to one purchased latte per week and one cup of coffee each morning at home.

I gave up my beloved diet coke/coke zero on Jan. 1st. I could drink 10 cans of soda a day but I struggle now to drink half that amount of Water, but I'm trying. Crystal Light has helped. I like to use frozen whole strawberries as ice cubes too.

I started taking Vitamins a few months ago

Incorporating some type of exercise has been more challenging for me also.

Even for a fat girl I am a pretty picky eater...trying to find Protein shakes I can choke down will be my biggest obstacle.

Distancing myself from those, that I now see, have a negative influence in my life. Just being around negative energy is not what is going to keep me focused on me, my goals and working through issues that will come up during this life changing experience.

And...becoming more active in this forum (and others) to find answers to my questions, validate my feelings or outlook during this multi-facited journey, gain support from others and give support to others that have or will be making the same life changes.

I decided to start early giving up caffeine because I was a morning to night coffee and tea drinker. I gradually gave it up but just got back from a business trip and I really missed the iced tea habit during the trip. I now drink lots of Water and keep my camelbak with me constantly.

I'm trying out Protein drinks and like Atkins so far. During my first NUT visit, I told her I loved the Naked brand Protein Drinks, then she kindly educated me on carb and sugar content that I couldn't have so I started over and will find a few healthier drinks I like.

I have started adding one packet of "greens" brand drink additive to one bottle of Water each day because it provides a good dose of magnesium and potassium which I need for the nutrition and to help maintain healthy digestion.

I bought a beach bike (in Colorado Springs) for exercise and love it.

I'm trying to eat slower but I'm a grab and go person so I have to make a serious effort to focus on my food, slow down and chew.

I'm going to miss nachos so after 40 pounds I will let myself have one light chip with Beans and melted cheese.

It will be great to look good again, and I can't wait to get started! My last dr appt is tomorrow and then my paperwork can be submitted to UHC and I start waiting for approval!

Definitely taking Vitamins

No burgers/beef

Trying very hard to stay away from fried foods

Water and milk (hope I don't become lactose intolerant)

Making every effort to exercise at least 3x per week