Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

May 2007 Banders

The time will fly by May Bandsters!! The April Bandwagon is here to support you through all your jitters. Just hang together and you'll be amazed at what a difference it makes having others to lean on during this waiting period. Good luck to you all!!

Found out my "date" on tuesday this week (May 8th); immediately called my primary care doc. to update him and keep him in the loop; truthfully, I just wanted to vent some of this nervous energy. Not to mention I love this doc. he is such a compassionate, kind listener. After chatting with him for about 30 minutes, I left feeling so supported and encouraged -- moral of the story, identify and surround yourself with those people and things (aside from food) that just plain make you feel good!!

One thing in particular struck me today is I wasn't exactly truthful with him when he said " you know its all about change and you strike me as the kind of person who is adjustable, just think in a year from now you'll be a whole different person" little does he (this handsome thin doc.) know, in the recesses of my soul its the idea of "change" that probably scares me most of all -- I've adopted to this inactive, big body lifestyle for over 40 years -- in order to be success, for me, it's gonna have to be an all inclusive process -- emotional and physical -- and I'm going to have to be honest with myself and others in order to change. On the other hand, I know its time and I am ready and willing to do what it takes to live a richer, deeper life. Anyone else struggling with this idea of "change"??? :messenger3:

Hi healthny, yes, I too have issues with my change, don't get me wrong, I want to change, hence the reason why I am doing this. I often sit around and think, how I am going to be different as a thin person? Will it change my attitude, better or worse? Ya know? Then I often wonder, what is going to be better, I know besides doing this for myself, I am also doing this to be around for my children and DH. You do become very comfortable with your body so I do understand what you are saying. Good luck.

I can fully understand. It is like I have been invisable for so long. It has been like this protective layer between me and the world. People go out of their way not to notice you when you are large, heck lets stop being so nice, when you are FAT. How will I act when people notice me? Will I be uncomfortable? Silly questions I know.

:clap2: Isnt it exciting to think about moving around without that extra 100 lbs!? It really does affect everything you do. I am looking forward to the day when I actually enjoy exercising, buying clothes, and looking in the mirror! I was kind of nervous about the surgery at first but after becoming thoroughly informed and finding a dr. I trust I have pretty much lost my 'jitters'. It really does make a difference to have the support of other people. I didnt know I would need it but it has made me feel stronger and even more determined to acheive my goals.

I thiiiiink I'm getting mine in May (though it will be near the end, probably). I'm waiting for my insurance to re-start, as I had to add myself back to my mother's plan in order to be covered for the surgery. So I hope I'll be joining you May guys, but if not, good luck!

I'm spending this day preparing my presurgery checklists -- just wanted to offer, if you haven't had a chance be sure to check out the section Lap Band FAQs and References especially the thread called Post Op Cheklists and Things to Have Before Surgery. There is a print button. Go through the list and pre plan. (I feel like my program really has prepared me that throughly for the actual surgery, its this forum that has :)). I learned and will tomorrow ask for a pain medication prescription presurgery -- so it will be there when you need it, alot of pharmacies need extra time to order liquid meds, who knew.) The one thing I disagree with don't get a manicure or pedicure pre surgery in fact remove all nail polish. You want to go into surgery the way you arrived in the world -- think baby naked.

WE CAN DO THIS!!!:(

Okay, so I just got directed to this discussion....this is where I belong (such a nice feeling....my own group of May bandsters!)

My date is May 16...here in Louisville, KY....anyone else out there from/in Louisville?

Dr. Lusco....cute and so very very nice.

So, May 16 sounds/seems so very far away...I have not received any instructions yet about pre-surgery prep stuff....how did you all find out what you are to do/eat/not eat? I have all my lab work scheduled for May 4 and they said to plan on being there about 5-6 hours and wear exercise shoes.....and there is a nutrition class that day as well. So, I wonder if that is when we are told what to eat/not eat? Regardless, I have been watching carbs and increasing Protein for a while now....since November and have lost 46 pounds. I am telling myself to plan on eating only liquids/mushy beginning the first of May with the bulk being Protein, but that is my own self talking, based on all I am reading here on this forum. Thanks, to a previous poster in this thread, for pointing out what is in the FAQ about the pre-op stuff....will look at that now.

We are all going to make it!

Question.....how do you all get those cute little things at the end of your messages that tell how much you weigh/all time high/ goal weight and the little "timeline" thingy?

KYsunshine

Hello Everyone! I'm glad I found this sight!

I don't have my date yet, but I'm predicting it will be in May.

Seminar: March 24

First appt and testing: April 5

Meeting with nutritionist to start pre-op diet plan: April 10

Appt with PCP: April 17

Psych consult: April 24

Chest X-ray, ultrasound, and EGD: April 24

If everything goes as expected, I should be good to go in May. I'm excited and nervous...... And happy to have found y'all! To healthyny-- yes, I'm also nervous about shedding this protective shell. I'm sure this is going to be a complete life change.

Good luck to all!

Hello again...

According to my doc's office, I will meet with him and the nutritionist the same day. I can, if I want, schedule to meet with the psych doc the same day as well. His office is around the block from my lap-band doc's office. The nutritionist said that most people from their office schedule all of their appointments the same day to get them over with especially if you don't live in San Antonio. I will probably just meet with the lap doc and nutritionist on one day and the psych and lab work on another day. As with any other, just have to have it all done before surgery to be cleared. If you are self pay, they will do the surgery anywhere from 8 days-2 weeks after your initial consult.

That is why it is possible for me to have surgery in May, but still have to get the financing. Hope the financing issue does not throw me into a later date. I will keep you all posted. Later!

w00t!

I just got off the phone from scheduling the appointment. I just got done hooking myself up with a ticker and signature!

I look forward to getting to know and losing weight with you all!

w00t!

I just got off the phone from scheduling the appointment. I just got done hooking myself up with a ticker and signature!

Congratulations on your date and good luck!!!:clap2:

w00t!

May 9th is a great day to become a looser :confused: That will be One year for me :D