Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port site infection

It's hard telling without seeing the wound. I had a red angry looking wound too and it was from the tape. I'll be four months on 4/6 and I still have tape scars. It was nasty looking.

It's hard to give advice without seeing a photo. Would you be willing to take a digital photo and either email it to me or post it?

Its official for me---my port is infected--Staph infection to be exact. They are scheduling for me to have the port removed, close me back up and let me heal. Then they will put another port in at a later time. I am on some heavy antibiotics right now. Lots of puss, not pleasent. I dont know if it is worth putting another port it?

I didn't see your post Scarlett. Sorry you got no responses.

My doctor, Dr. Kirshenbaum, put me on a run of antibiotics for ten days. I was glad he did. I had a persistant cough that Hall's lozengez seemed to help but after four days I was really fine. I think had he not done that perhaps I might have gone into something deeper.

I had no skin infections. Nothing with my port. I continued to use the cleanser that escapes me right now...Hibeclens I think is the name. It creates a protective barriar on the skin. I was told to use it three days before surgery.

Anything green or oozing would send me to the doctor.

Its official for me---my port is infected--Staph infection to be exact. They are scheduling for me to have the port removed, close me back up and let me heal. Then they will put another port in at a later time. I am on some heavy antibiotics right now. Lots of puss, not pleasent. I dont know if it is worth putting another port it?

Has it all cleared up now? I am having to have my port moved simply because of where the surgeon put it (right on my bra line). The scar tissue keeps flaring up and becoming infected. I have to keep a dressing on it all of the time

Has it all cleared up now? I am having to have my port moved simply because of where the surgeon put it (right on my bra line). The scar tissue keeps flaring up and becoming infected. I have to keep a dressing on it all of the time

No, I am scheduled for surgery to have the port removed on Monday. He said that he would check the tubing to see if it was slimy, etc. and if so, he would remove the whole band. *Sigh* But I never really felt much restriction from the band since I had it. They were filling it up very slowly. They took X-rays today to make sure the band didnt actually migrate into my stomach which is another cause of port infection. Hard to say. Good luck with your port move. Definately dont mess around with any infection, it could ruin your whole band system.

yesterday I woke up with my incisions red and swollen, I dont have any drainage and I'm keeping them dry and clean. Maybe you should go to the ER or contact your surgeon. I went to the ER and they gave me antibiotics, so I hope it will clear up my problem, I'm still calling my surgeon in the morning. Hope you find a solution

I also have a port infection. I had my surgery on 11/10/06. It first got infected 2 weeks after surgery but antibiotics cleared it up (so we thought). About 6 weeks ago the port was hurting me whenever I touched it and it was swolen and red. Luckily it is not a staff infection. They have been trying to treat it with antibiotics, but it will not dry up. The antibiotic (doxycycln) has only stopped it from spreading. I had an EGP today to make sure the band did not erode into my stomache and it is still in place. The port needs to come out. Like you, I'm undecided if I want to chance putting another one in. Right now I'm leaning toward trying a 2nd port, but that could change by the time I see the surgeon next week.

i hate to tell you this, but that is exactly how my infection started and now the port needs to come out. definately contact your surgeon!!

I am still undecided about a 2nd port. Much of my decision will be based on what happens in surgery today. If the tubing is infected, they will remove the band in addition to the port. But if the tubing is ok, they will assume that the band is ok and leave it in. I guess I would get a 2nd port then. I just want this damn thing to work for me like it does for so many people.

No not yet. They want to clear up the infection first. Turns out that the tubing also tested positive for staph infection so thats not good. I really wish that I just demanded that he remove the lap band system all together but he didnt want me to give up on the band. I am so sick of taking 7 antibiotics every day and I have to take them on an empty stomach which complicates things. He claims that the antibiotics should clear up the infection in the tubing. Who knows. Pretty discouraging but a complication I have to face.

I was banded on 1/19/06. My port sight got infected and I had some drainage. I believe it was from going swimming at too soon a time. I did however have doctor appoval to go back to aquacize. It was about 3 weeks out. He (doc) also found a stitch that was not desolving right. After he removed that it healed up fairly quickly. I took antibiotics for a while. Could not have a fill till it was closed. First fill was in April of 06. Have since lost 40 lbs. Wish it was more but I have not always followed all the rules and could excercise more. I am truning over a new leaf and

going back to the things that worked well for me from the start. I have since had no trouble with infection of any kind. I do have lots of trouble with reflux and am on meds for that but still have trouble. I have had 2 fills.