Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port site infection

Sades, Thanks for getting back to me so soon. I looked at that picture on page 4 and it looks pretty similar to what mine looks like. What actually happened to you? Did antibiotics help? You didn't need to have anything removed, did you? Do they know why we get these infections? Thanks for any info you can give.

Pam

Yes the antbiotics did get rid of it. I didn't have to have anything removed. Mine happened after my first fill but I don't know why. I guess it could have something to do with the cut being exposed to something. That's a question for your dr's office. Most people on here have had the infection straight after surgery. Again not sure why.

i think wrong post - opps

Edited by faithbaci

Call its easier then trying reply on my Blackberry714-722-1519.

Hi all,

I'm new here so HELLO.

I got my banding done 3wks today. On day four I rang to speak to my Drs about all the Fluid coming from my port site they told me to go see them or my local GP. I went to see my local GP as I could get in the next day (Tues) when I was going into town. So my GP looked at it said yes its infected and wrote me out a script after speaking to my LAP-BAND® Dr as to what he wants me on. The nurse changed my bandages and at that time was only a tiny whole. As Easter was coming up at end of week (Fri - Mon) my the Dr's called me and asked to see me before the weekend just in case, it was starting to open up (pic 1)

They then put me on my meds and said if I start feeling really bad to call the ASAP. I didn't feel to bad, to much back pain I guess (since opp) to worry about the port site.

Tues after the Easter weekend I went to see my Dr who was happy (well as u can be with a hole in someone's chest) with the site (pic 2) he said its clean so stay on the meds 8 per day, he said it would open right up but not to worry. He went on leave 2 days later till end of May. I now have the dressing changed every 2 days, this pic (pic 3)was taken Friday (6 days ago) will get another tomorrow if I remember.

So today I get a call from the staff asking how I was going, I told them other than my really bad back pain, I'm doing well, she asked me how it was going and I told her its still leaking and the hole is now 6cm deep (into chest) and 7cm long. With in 5mins she called me back say that the other Dr has seen my photos (these ones) whom my other Dr was happy with and said she is no way happy with it and its coming out Monday. So I feel abit worried, my Dr who knows me was happy with it as it was clean ect and his partner (work) wants it on now....

My worry is its taken me 3 wks (since opp) for my back to be feeling only a little bit better and now they want me to go back under. I feel fine, really I do.

So looks like Monday my ports coming out. Has anyone had it this bad??

vq026h.jpg

Pic 1

10cunwl.jpg

Pic 2

2i8dcw8.jpg

2qjc6fn.jpg

Pic 3

Sorry for the Gross pics

Pic 3

My goodness! I had an infected port but it didn't look like yours at all. Are you in serious pain? What will happen after they remove your port and you have healed? Will they try again? I know you don't want this taken out. What a bummer! But it looks like you have a very serious infection. Could that be what the back pain is about? Might the infection have spead ? I am not a medical professional, but that is what it soulds like. I hope you are on some heavy antibiotics. Please let me know how you do and what happens next. Good luck.

i moved my posts to here http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f78/hoping-i-have-right-place-now-gross-pics-113419/

with new pics today

Slimmap: pain no to with this just my back, loos bad but i feel not to bad other than having a HUGE hole in my chest. yes they will try again in 3 mths after they take it out, this is why i would like to wait and see how it goes, as its been 3 wks and i feel good now (didnt before hand) what if it happens again. i think ill have to get a scan done on my back if it doesnt get better as i have twin sons (3 .5 yrs) who are home fulltime so i need to get better not worse again.

Well, good luck to you. I have two sons also.I remember how much energy they require! But they are so worth it. I hope you are back on your feet and chasing after them soon.

July 21, 2010

:thumbup:

Had LAP-BAND® surgery in Aug of 2003. No problem, needed port replaced last Aug of 2009. Now port site is oozing Fluid, Cat Scan and Endoscopy showed not erosion of the band into the stomach, but I have had a problem with this port site since last August ( the original port developed a leak) when it was put in and a seroma developed around the site. I have been on Agumentin (1000mg per day) since last Thursday , July 14th. Seeing the Dr. again this coming MOnday, July 26th, and if the port site is still leaking, I need to have the port removed, the tubing pushed back , and stay on antibiotics until the site heals. What causes a port infection?http://www.lapbandtalk.com/images/smilies/modern/001_unsure.gif

Edited by thepoodleluver
add additional informatioin