Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Could use some help

I was hoping someone could let me know if something is normal. I had my first fill on 2/27/14 it was for 2 cc's, but I don't feel like it has done anything. I think I might be eating too much or maybe too fast. First of all I seem to beable to eat more than I was before the fill and now I have difficulity keeping what I am eating in-sometimes? Am I eating to fast? Am I eating the wrong foods? Am I eating at the wrong time of day?

I tried some steak the other day and it didn't work well with me. I am just so frustrated. The nurse practioner said she thought I wasn't getting enough Protein so I am probably still hungry...suggested protein bar-ugh they taste terrible, but will do what I have to-to get this weight off. However, I have only lost 26 lbs and feel like I'm stuck already, was banded on 1/16/14. Getting really disappointed!!! Help please!!!

Only 26lbs? Really? Please think about that....26lbs...26lbs!!! In what? Under 2 months? Reset your thinking because this will not be your worst roadblock. Be proud of what you have accomplished, as you should be. It may take many more fills before you hit the green zone. This is a process. You will learn along the way what works for you and what doesn't. Protein is very important and there are a lot of ways to get it; yogurt, low fat cheese, eggs, cottage cheese, nuts and of course lean meats and fish. Stop beating yourself up and being impatient, this takes time. With this surgery losing 2 lbs a week is considered success...you are losing what? 3lbs a week? Reevaluate your expectations. :)

Sometimes after these surgeries our bodies reject certain foods. This might be an issue for you too. Me I am 16 months out from the sleeve surgery and still can not eat a sunny side up egg, beef of any kind and can not tolerate white meat in poultry.

This could be an issue as well. Stay clear of beef for now and try again later on.

I feel your frustration. I was banded on 1/17 and have lost 25 lbs...and just got some fill in my band last week (didn't have anything up till then) ....and I'm having the same issues as you...but bread is giving me problems (guess I shouldn't be eating it anyway..lol)....I don't care much for the Protein bars either, so I do the GNC Total Lean Protein shake...Strawberries and cream tastes like a milk shake, the chocolate wasn't all that good (only Protein could mess up chocolate..didn't think it was possible..lol) My main problem is 4 oz or 1/2 cup isn't filling me up, or keeping me not hungry for 4-5 hours...but I have also been reassured that this is a process and will take time and the Green Zone is soon to be ours...just keep holding in there....:) Good luck..

You are fine. I too had the same experience with my first fill. I felt like I had less restriction than before. By restriction, I only mean that the band makes me eat slower. It doesn't really control quantity, just reminds me not to eat too fast and to chew my food. Yes, if food is coming up, you're either not chewing enough, eating too fast, or can't tolerate that food. Slow down and give your body time to realize you're satiated. Not full! Just, not hungry.

As far as Protein, meat and Protein Bars are far from the only sources. I eat super healthy delicious foods and never worry about my protein. Lots of veggies have protein. I lay off the carbs and sweets. I track my every mouthful on MyFitnessPal. I'm losing great. I have weeks where I lose only one poundand weeks where I lose six pounds. Patience. You'll be fine!

Your story is a familiar one. Unfortunately many of us were led to believe the journey starts right after surgery but that's just not true. Your journey will not start till you get the adjustment that gives you the satiety you need to eat less food for longer periods of time.

I've seen it where some of the lucky ones begin immediately after surgery and some who have waited a year to find the green zone or even enough restriction/satiety to limit their food intake.

It took me 3 fills/adjustments and 4 months before my journey really took off. I was in "Bandster Hell" like you for nearly 4 months and it bites. But, like a painful kidney stone, the pain and anger is all in the past now. Good luck and be patient.

Ablond, hasn't your nutritionist told you to stop the shakes? They slide down too easy and never give the full feeling. Remember no drinking when eating. You have to keep that food above the band long enough to trigger that full feeling. Rethink what your Protein choices are to get to that place. I have been making that mistake myself. I am 5 weeks out with only a loss of 12 lbs. I was so mad at my failure to lose. But I've had to rethink and be patient. My first fill will likely be at my next visit ( Friday). We will see if it helps.

Ablond, hasn't your nutritionist told you to stop the shakes? They slide down too easy and never give the full feeling. Remember no drinking when eating. You have to keep that food above the band long enough to trigger that full feeling. Rethink what your Protein choices are to get to that place. I have been making that mistake myself. I am 5 weeks out with only a loss of 12 lbs. I was so mad at my failure to lose. But I've had to rethink and be patient. My first fill will likely be at my next visit ( Friday). We will see if it helps.

I had the band July 2012 and have a shake every morning. They fill me for 3-5 hours. I use a lot of ice so they are very thick.

As for meat I can only have ground beef or filet mignon. I eat veal chops and lamb and baby back ribs. Very tender chicken at home. I buy Bells and Evans only.

I eat salmon a real lot and shrimp. I am from Boston and lobster is a staple here and I can't chew it anymore.

Good luck.

sleepingarby, the shakes are thick and seem to keep me satisfied ..... My nutritionist has not told me to stop them as of yet.....

I do the shakes and they fill me up fine.

For the two original posters who had surgery in January, please try to feel happy with your success so far... The weight will NOT come off in "our" time, but it will come off. Please also don't compare yourself to others, since this truly is an individual journey. My own journey has taken me through six fills over seven months. I can officially say, "I'm in the GREEN." You will get there too. Best Wishes

Every day is different for me. I was banded on jan 6 and some days I am not hungry at all while other days I am ravenous. I am stuck at 213 startin weight 239. I hav only had one fill and will see my doc nect tuesday for another one. I have been exercising but the weight isn't coming off as quickly as I would like. I would like 2-3 pounds a week but cannot get passed 212/213 for some reason. I know I should probably eat less but I haven't had any bread, rice,pasta, or sweets since the surgery. I drink a Protein Shake for Breakfast and lunch and dinner vary. I know I need more Protein though. Help! I am not liking bandster hell.

Every day is different for me. I was banded on jan 6 and some days I am not hungry at all while other days I am ravenous. I am stuck at 213 startin weight 239. I hav only had one fill and will see my doc nect tuesday for another one. I have been exercising but the weight isn't coming off as quickly as I would like. I would like 2-3 pounds a week but cannot get passed 212/213 for some reason. I know I should probably eat less but I haven't had any bread, rice,pasta, or sweets since the surgery. I drink a Protein shake for breakfast and lunch and dinner vary. I know I need more Protein though. Help! I am not liking bandster hell.

2-3 lbs may be unrealistic. You have to burn 3500 calories to kill 1 lb. 3 would be 10,500 calories burned. It's possible but highly unlikely unless you're a marathon runner or long distance cyclist.

1-2 is more realistic. If you're consuming only shakes for breakfast and lunch, you're not doing this right. You will be hungry with a diet like that. shakes are a slider food and you should be eating normal foods now. Like an omelet for breakfast. Or, an egg/ham/cheese flatbread sandwich. eggs or egg beater omelets are low calorie and solid enough they fill your pouch long enough to stimulate the valgus nerve so you're not as hungry. Turkey sausage is also a low cal meat substitute.

Most of us took 3-6 fills before we felt restriction so keep up with the fills till you feel the restriction or satiety. A visit with the nutritionist would be good for you about this time too.

I wish to thank everyone for your comments and suggestions, they are great! It is good to know that I am where I should be and there is a light at the end of the tunnel (alittle farther down the road). It is good to have a resource to turn too...you all are wonderful!!!

As for the shakes I don't get to see a nutritonist until the 10th of April (my next fill)...so I am just doing what the NP's in my doctors office tell me, they have had this surgery as well...and even after many years still drink shakes. I don't drink them with my meals but as a meal, just for clarification. I don't drink anything with my meal, stop drinking 30 minutes before and 30/45 minutes after.

Thanks again everyone...this site is a great place to get answers.