Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back again but for good this time

I think the last time I was here was Dec. 06. Posted and emailed trying to figure out if I did or didn't want the surgery. I guess I'm like everyone and WANT the surgery but am afraid of life AFTER SURGERY.

Tried weight watchers for the 100th time and failed AGAIN.

THEN..one of my best friends snuck off to Houston and had gastric segmentation!! Didn't tell any of the girlfriends about it. Made me think that here I am just spinning my wheels and getting fatter, older and more unhealthy.

I get excited when I come here and read what you people have lost and how your life is better and healthier..until I read about all the problems and I get scared again.

This time...I'm going to stick it out, listen and read everything I can and give myself two weeks to make an appointment to see the doctor. (I'm self pay so I'm sure the surgery will be quick once I make the final appointment.

I'm in the DFW Texas area, so I would love to hear from anyone that's had the surgery in that area.

Thanks to all,

What is it about life after surgery that scares you? Perhaps we can help.

I can say that life after surgery has been a surreal dream and not the starving nightmare I worried it might be. I feel great, am looking better each month and have more energy than I've had in years!

So, lay it on us...what's scaring you? Even PB's and all that other jazz we talk about is usually a case of the bark is worse than the bite! You'll have to make some adjustments and will have some "yucky" moments you might have to deal with, but I'd say the vast majority of us would agree that we'd do it all over again so it can't be that bad, right?!

I wish I could give people just a window into my life after banding so they could understand how great it really is.

But I was just as scared. Eventually you just get desperate enough, or determined enough, to take the plunge and do it.

Honestly, life after banding is what you make of it. Mine hasnt changed a big. I eat the same food, just way less - and I've cut out most of the junk. That's most. I do eat out, I do have treats, I do all the same things I used to do. I've just cut down on portions and started running seriously. I dont do low carb, I dont diet, I dont count Protein, I dont do any of it. I just eat what I want, when I'm hungry.

I have found it so easy really. I've had plateaus, and stopped losing, but I've always had faith that I'll get there. I guess it helps that I just plain didnt care if it took me 3 years to get the weight off, its going to take me probably close to 2 years by the time I'm finished, but I was looking for a lifetime answer, not a quick one.

Its honestly the best thing I ever did for myself. Every single day I get up I get at thrill at not being fat anymore.

After the band is my life I guess.

My life now revolves around family, friends and business. All with eating.

We eat out for birthdays, holidays, business, everything!

I guess I don't know how to just sit and not eat. Because all I know is being HUNGRY for food and not feeling full.

I've been overweight since I was 9 years old. I've lost and gained about a 1000 lbs and always added to the weight..being a failure in keeping the weight off.:think

THAT's what scares me, paying 16K and failing. Having the surgery, going through all of this and failing!! I Want this so bad!! I want the hunger to go away!

I don't know if I've explained it correctly but I'm trying to put in words how I've felt all these years.

I WANT to be a healthy person, not someone that ACTS old because of my weight. Knees hurting, high blood pressure, just YUK feeling.:angry

I want to swim, fit into amusement rides, ride horses again. Play wtih my child and feel as young as I truly think I am.

We've all been exactly where you are right now! My knees were killing me, much better now (surgery was Jan. 18....have lost 40 pounds so far!!!), I eat out with the kids/family and haven't had any problems. It's a lot easier when you're not starving 24/7! I'll tell you what my husband told me when I first asked him what he thought, "hon, this is your body, your decision.... do your research, do some soul searching, and pray for the strength to accept the decision you make" worked for me......good luck and feel free to ask any questions you want!

I was also afraid of the surgery and actually thought about it several years and often concluded that I sure didn't want to have surgery just to lose weight. However I kept gaining and getting more sluggish and eventually I decided that my life as I knew it would be over and get worse if I didn't do something, so I did. Also the statistics for people who lose large amounts of weight on their own are so dismal that I felt this was my last chance and I am doing everything I can to be successful. I was also self pay and I think that helps the motivation along quite a bit. It is awesome to be able to look at someone having something really yummy and not feel like reaching over the table to eat their food. Just amazing. I never understood how people could go without a meal but now I do although of course I get the small meals in. Just amazing and when you are grossly overweight the benefits surely outweigh the risks. The risks of being so overweight are scary,,,

And dont read all about the complications and horrible things until you have a problem. I think it is counterproductive although of course one should be aware that there are risks with everything. just don't expect problems before you do it. It is a tiny percentage that have bad complications..

OK...now I know where you're coming from. And, the good news...you're telling my story from a year ago. I think a lot of us had these same concerns. But, the thing I'll tell you up front (and it was the hardest for me to come to terms with) you will need to make yourself a priority. Sure, family, friends, work etc. are very important, but you cannot support these people if you aren't healthy. So, I made a committment to myself and said enough is enough. I've GOT to make myself a priority and I've GOT to get my health better. And you know what? Yes, there have been some difficult moments with friends and family and work dealing with the fact that I might not be able to do something they wanted me to do because I needed to work out or go to an appointment but they have dealt with it! Now, I'm able to get around better at work and be more efficient-they won. Now, I'm able to enjoy my friends and family more because I can keep up and I feel happier and more fun-they won. And most importantly, I keep busy all day and go to sleep content and fulfilled because I had the energy to do things I've not done in years-I won! You can do this if you want it bad enough! The payoff is a big one if you do!

I just wanted to congratulate you lapbandit. You've done an awesome job and you need to pat yourself on the back. Just noticed your weight loss and it's wonderful.