Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm very new to this....I have been looking around on line to get some I for on how to get this journey started. Help!! Does anyone know of some good places to look or start for info on surgery and how to get this ball rolling?

Besides researching online, I started by talking with my PCP and called my insurance. Both explained the process for approval and then my PCP made referrals to a nutritionist and ordered testing. Good luck!

If you're on a PC, at the top and bottom of this page are search engines to find surgeons in your area.

Read here as much as you can but try to go to 2-3 seminars in your area. Most surgeons talk about all the different WLS techniques at these seminars and usually you can schedule a consult while you're there.

I called my insurance company and found out their requirements, then spoke to my doctor and called the surgeons office a friend recommended. The surgeon gave me forms to have my doc fill out every month when I did the monthly weigh - ins for 6 months my insurance wanted. Then the surgeon set me up for the psych evaluation and nutritionist. After we had the psych evaluation, nutritionist report and 6 months of within reports, the surgeon submitted it to insurance and they approved. My surgery is set for 2 weeks from today.

I started with my primary care physician and it was his recommendation that led me to my doctor. I went to a group informational seminar with the surgeon, then called to schedule a consult and the rest moved right along from there.

As for other research, I reached out to people I know who had the procedure done. I researched on line by just "googling" lap-band. And I researched online bookstores for books to read. I really liked Alex's book (he's the founder of Bariatric Pal) The Big Book on the Lap-Band....I found it very helpful and informative.

Wishing you much success on your journey!!

I'm very new to this....I have been looking around on line to get some I for on how to get this journey started. Help!! Does anyone know of some good places to look or start for info on surgery and how to get this ball rolling?

it all depends on where you live, and what insurance you have? Your best option is to talk to your primary doctor, and see if they can refer you to a surgeon that specializes in these surgeries, also there is a link on this website that if you put in where you live you can find different surgeon's in your area. I would suggest also goggling bariatric surgeon's in the area you live and look at their credentials cause you want to find a good surgeon that does this on a regular basis. Then make the appointment with the surgeon that you decide on and they should refer you to the following doctors and people you need to see before you can be approved by your insurance. Some places and insurances ask for different things, so you need to get all the stuff your insurance requires done before your surgeon can submit it to the insurance company to do your surgery. Another big suggestion is to stay on this page and read and follow people and talk to people that have gotten it done and are getting it done, you can get a lot of information from people on this site, it is a fantastic tool for helping you through it and staying on track after the surgery is done!!! Good luck!!!

Like others said find a local hospital and go to a meeting. My hospital has them once a month and also a support meeting once a month. Those meetings are for before and after surgery people. I have been going to the monthly meetings for over 2 1/2 years but have the band for 1 1/2 years. My lung doctor set up my appointments for me. Thank you doctor for giving me a new life!

Good luck with your journey. What state are you from ? I am from Boston

I started my journey by looking online to see which surgeons/programs in my area were the most reputable. Look for a practice that is a Bariatric Surgery Center of Excellence. It's an award that is given to places that give the best service. My insurance company actually required that I go to a center of excellence or they wouldn't cover the cost! Then I went to my first seminar, which is basically an informational meeting. Most surgeons won't even let you make an appointment with them until you attend a seminar. From there they will let you know what the next steps are. It's good to find out early on what your insurance requirements are as well. Best of luck to you in your journey!! If you want to read more about the process, I detailed my entire experience in my blog. The link is in my signature below :)