Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long do you wait to drink after eating?

I find myself really thirsty after eating. Sometime I think it might be because I was really thirsty in the first place and not hungry.

Do you still wait 15 mins after drinking to eat?

Two hours after eating before you drink? I've only been waiting about an hour and I'm eating just about every two hours which is a bad habit I've restarted.

Pamela

30 minutes after the meal is my doctors order. Sometimes I take a few sips if I feel thirsty.

30 minutes after the meal is my doctors order. Sometimes I take a few sips if I feel thirsty.

I do the exact same thing. Sometimes I just have to take a little drink, especially when I go to restaurants. It's really hard because the servers bring out drinks first and I never know how long the food will take.

So there're been times I will chug an entire glass of Water then 5 minutes later our food arrives and I can't eat any.

Other times (like last night) I didn't touch my glass of Water for fear the food would arrive any second and it ended up being about 45 minutes after placing the order.

I was pissed because I could've drunk for 10 minutes easily, then had enough time to wait.

So now I try to either drink on my way to the restaurant or take a few tiny sips of water if I'm feeling very thirsty the moment I get to the restaurant.

I stop drinking fluids 30 min. before I eat and wait 30 min. after I eat...

Somewhere on this forum is a great video about what happens when you drink while or just after you eat...the more Water put into your sleeve the less dense the food becomes that you ate. It opens the flap at the bottom of your stomach and it starts to leak out and then you do not have the holding tank working as well as it should. It will not allow you to get as much acid to break down what you ate as well so you won't get the greatest amount of good from what you are eating.....It is that simple.

Most of our food is broken down in the lower intestines but it gets the help it needs to do the bast job it can by starting the breaking down process in the sleeve....

Hope this helps! :)

30 min.before and after.

30 minutes before and after for me, too. To be honest, sometimes I will drink up to 15 minutes before eating, but I really try to not drink for at least 30 minutes after eating.

I drink with my meals. Not a ton, but I do have a few sips throughout and drink normally afterwards. Doesn't seem to affect me. I can eat the same portion with or without drinking with it. If for some reason this changes and I start gaining weight or eat too much, I will stop. For now, it doesn't seem to matter much.

My doctor said I can eat 15 mins after I drink which is very doable, but to wait 2 hrs after the meal which is hard. 30 mins is doable but I will say I tend to feel like my stomach is super full if I drink that soon.

I sometimes drink right before eating, but I always wait at least 30 minutes after.

Lynda

Usually about 30 minutes. My stomach starts emptying around 15-20 minutes. If I wait until 30, then I am ok to drink. If I drink before then, it hurts. I will sometimes take a small sip during if I have something that is not going down or a bit spicy but it is literally only enough to wet my throat and not a real sip/drink.

I am like Lynda and will find myself drinking up until eating.

Most of the time, I wait 10-15 minutes after eating, but sometimes it is 1 minute and sometimes it is 45 minutes. It depends on how I am feeling based on what was eaten.

My recommendations were the 30 mi before & after. I stop fluids 15 min before eating & don't drink until 30 min after eating. That's what is comfortable for me. It's a big time constraint factor. I work 12 hr sometimes hectic shifts so I like to get in half my fluids before I leave for work in case I don't have time to hydrate.

I generally don't worry about liquids before meals. After meals I wait at least 45 minutes. Sugarless gum or a mint help if my mouth is really dry before time's up.

I drink up until I eat, but find I don't want to drink again until an hour afterwards. It just feels gross most of the time and eating/drinking at the same time is unpleasant. Soup isn't fun anymore either (have to drink the liquid first then eat the solids). I would have thought this would be gone by now (6 1/2 months out), but it's not. Oh well, maybe that's a good thing.

I stop drinking 30 minutes before a meal and wait 45 minutes after eating. I had to establish a routine because I would forget to drink in the first few months post-op.