Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The beginning of the rest of my life starts soon

Wow where to being...

I would say that to truly dig back into myself my slide to my current weight (375 at the time of this writing) would stem from my college days. Although I was always the bigger kid in high school, I always hovered around the 220's. My first 2 years in college I completely destroyed my eating habits, late nights studying or just going out, crazy hours, long commutes, etc. I went from 220 to about 280 in what felt like overnight. As I bought new outfit after new outfit, I finally said "enough!" I hopped on weight watchers (which I had used in the past to some success). I enjoyed the freedom of the points program and how I could bank points for a cheat day and work out to bank some points or just use it as some extra weight taken off that week. I managed to lose 70 pounds and get back to 230 over the course of a year. Then my last year of college hit me like a ton of bricks. The class intensity was upped and I took on extra courses because I wanted to add minors into my program. I also met my lovely, darling, beautiful future wife at this point. Although some of the best times of my life happened over the next 2 years (I took an extra year to finish college with all the additional courses) I ended up dropping out of weight watchers and watched my weight skyrocket. After getting my Bachelor's, starting my Master's, getting a full time job, getting married, losing a close loved one, buying a house, having a child, my life became about everything else and all the focus I once placed on myself and my health faded to nothing. Over those 9 years, I would put on over 145 lbs. My shame knows no limits. I tried all the usual tricks: back on Weight Watchers, switched to Jenny Craig, tried Nutrisystem, back to Weight Watchers (which is where I am still at) and nothing worked, mostly because I lost the will to care about myself. It is not really in a negative way that I lost this will. I am not depressed. I don't emotional eat, in fact tough days I tend to eat little to nothing now, and crying just makes me sick to my stomach. Basically, I have dragged any sort of focus I once had for myself onto everything and everyone around me. I now know that I need balance in my life. I also need a kick in pants to get me started.

So, September 9th, 2013, I am off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of weight loss surgeries. We discuss the choices that I want to get more information about, the Lap Band surgery and the Gastric Sleeve surgery. Both he says are good options. Due to my age (under 30), and the fact that I don't have any debilitating weight related health issues yet, like diabetes, damaged knee caps, painful lower back (though it's getting there), etc., he says that Lap Band can be a good option as it is reversible once I lose the weight. I like the sound of that, but in the back of my mind, I am thinking of my college days were I did great to lose 70 pounds, only to put back on double that weight. So we discuss option 2, the Gastric Sleeve. Although scary to think about at first, it does seem like the better option. After discussing things with my family and friends, I decided on the Gastric Sleeve. Now the fun begins. Tests, endoscopy, paperwork upon paperwork, letters, issues with insurance, disability forms (just in case) and finally! Sweet, sweet approval!

I went to see the nutritionist and behavioral psychologist, learned a lot about myself and the process. I do regret not preparing as well as I should have for the surgery. I have been trying to slow down eating my meals but haven't gotten into a good rhythm. I am still struggling with not drinking with meals and my soda craving has been hard to curb. But I finally feel I am nearly ready. I have made plenty of puree Soups for post-surgery, my favorite of which is the butternut squash Soup, a great meal during the 2 week liquid diet portion post-surgery. I have devised a plan to make sure I am getting all my Protein in during the first two weeks until better sources can be added after the liquid diet phase. I ordered a Nurtibullet in the hopes that I will completely be over soda by being able to grind up fresh fruit / vegetables for delicious smoothies. For now, everything is coming together, but there is still a lot to do as well. I was told to watch my weight gain pre surgery and even to try and lose some before going in (though my insurance doesn't require it). I was able to knock off 10 pounds, but put it back on, and again managed it off, so I might be near 365 pre surgery, but I know that final result on Sunday night. I was also told not to blow it by going all out as a "last hooray". Though I must say I have been somewhat holding to that, I am making a trip this weekend to my favorite buffet in Atlantic City. But I have been good leading up to it know that I am going there, so hopefully I don't ruin my work over the last couple weeks! But I don't think of the surgery as a end to my eating out, and you really can't otherwise none of us would do it. In this case, I just want a weekend getaway pre surgery, and if there happens to be my favorite buffet there I might as well partake.

So this is it, surgery is scheduled for March 3rd, 2014. I am ready as I'll ever be. I have told most of my family and most of my friends. That is a completely personal issue that I feel each individual must decide who to tell and when to tell them on their own. I made the mistake of telling my boss, which at first was all fine and dandy, but now as the surgery approaches I keep getting questions like, "when will you be 100%" and "will you ever be able to do X, Y or Z again at work" and "will you be calling out often due to issues with it?" and so on. My suggestion for work is to not tell them. At first I didn't think much of it, but now it is coming back to haunt me a bit. You don't have to lie as the law protects anyone having surgery to not have to tell their employer why they are doing it, but I would definitely not tell them why if you can help it. As for the family/friends, some I just didn't tell pre surgery because I didn't want them to worry about the surgery itself. Unfortunately, my parents had to know since they are going to help watch my son that day and take me to the hospital and all that. They are scared about the surgery going wrong, even though I assured them of the routineness of it nowadays. Heck, it is same day surgery! But of course I understand why they are scared, since it is still surgery. All my affairs are in order though, and I am ready for anything should it come my way.

I am so excited for the surgery and I can't wait to be able to finally shed some real pounds. Everything that I am doing can also help my wife and son as all of us will be eating better at home. No more late night fast food runs, no more high calorie / sugar soda in the house, the ability to actually cook meals (i never cooked a day in my life until last month and now I can make some basic, healthy meals!), being able to do more outdoor / physical activities as a family. I am also so excited to finally wear things that have been sitting in my closet for years. Clothes that have never even had the chance to see the light of day. I am also excited to not have the seat of my pants rip out of pants while I am wearing them (3 times it happened, I must say stay away from St. John's Bay clothes). And the Pièce de résistance, I can finally wear shoes that aren't loafers!

I wish all of those on this wonderful journey with me the best of luck and I look forward to making new friends in this process too. I am excited for the advice that I can give one day to newcomers and the advice I can receive from the veterans. Good luck to all!

Good luck with your journey. You are going to do great! Check back after the surgery and let us know how you are doing.

My husband and I were both sleeved. Life is great. We keep things very simple in our home, not much cooking. My husband was 320 lbs and is now at 265 lbs. We keep no bread in our house, no junk food. You can get tempted by things so it has been easier for us because we have no kids in the house. Best wishes for a healthy new life. Each day has been an adventure and we have had no problems with the sleeve.

lupin1500,

Good luck with your surgery. I was a long time coming to the decision to do it. With my many joint problems, I reached a point where I just had to do it.

Your youth will be a big advantage. Your body should recover more quickly, especially without co-morbidities like diabeties or high blood pressure.

It sounds like you are doing everything you can to prepare yourself. I think you'll do very well.

The only advice I would give is to walk, walk, walk and walk some more after you have the surgery. I did and it seems to help disapate the gas PLUS it helps prevent blood clots.

I hope you have a routine surgery and easy, swift recovery.

Blessings,

Katheen

we have all "been there, done that"... sounds like you are all ready for your new journey... congrats and keep us all posted on how you are doing! The first 6 months are the "honeymoon" phase where most of it happens...take advantage of it; watch what you are eating and exercise... you will do great!

And line these people who,pisted before, the beginning of My Life starts Soon. Just a week,my good friends, just a week.September 5th 2018.

You know it is odd. I had people tell me I wouldn't live,past 40, 50, or even 60, I am 72 and still kicking. They, on the other hand, are all dead. Fooled them, didn't I?👍😝🌈