Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What is your favorite - Insanity, p90x or an alternative

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful responses. It means a lot to me. Cheers!

Good luck!!! Keep us posted.

By the way, your thoughts on the Results and Recovery drink (anyone can chime on):

http://www.amazon.com/P90X-Results-Recovery-Formula-30-Day/dp/B004LY4OLM/ref=pd_sim_sg_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=194JCG5JH45TQAQCPHQF

Is it any good?

I rarely deal with soreness now even though have been "bringing it" daily for a while with intense workouts (just see my posting history). Maybe p90x will make me sore? Don't know. I am almost hoping so. Really!

I currently supplement my workouts with beta alanine, creatine, caffeine, bcaa, Vitamins and a Protein shake (ON Hydrobuilder). All of which help with workout performance and recovery. Again, rarely feel soreness except a little in my upper back that I deal with by rolling out or mashing.

Would this p90x drink be worth it for me or is it just marketing and designed for folks not used to intense work outs?

If you are currently taking the BCAA's and other supplements you listed, you should be good. The R&R drink you mention is more for convenience and for people who don't really know what to drink and when. It's all in that specific drink to take the guesswork out.

That being said, I do drink it. I like it. I don't have to buy different supplements, just the one and I'm ready to go. It's more portable with my lifestyle.

Fiddleman, I am 8 weeks out and doing strength training and modified cardio in the house. You sound like a perfect candidate for Mark Sisson's Primal Blueprint website. Tons of advice for both beginners, advancing and the retiring athletes. His program is largely non equipment and body weight with some dumbells / kettlebells as an option. Completely affordable and do-able. Variety is based on wherever your imagination can take you.

Once this lousy Chicago winter breaks into spring, I am gone to find a park with a hill so I can walk and lunge uphill, do push ups against trees, pull ups on the monkey bars....you know - take this show outside. I am getting a serious case of post-op cabin fever. In anticipation, I even bought a pair of Vibram five-finger shoes for barefoot walking with some traction. I found them on clearance at Travelcountry.com. Vibram's site is expensive. Who knew I would turn into an outside granny gym rat?

My family LOVES R&R by Beachbody. In fact, when we are near the bottom there are fights to get the last serving.

With any recovery drink, you need to look at the Carb to Protein ratio. R&R is 4 to 1 (carbs to protein) with a large amount of simple sugar. 4 or 3 to 1 ratio is recommended for a recovery drink.

So R&R is on the top side of that equation. And that equation came from a very reputable book about the science behind building muscle.

My family LOVES R&R by Beachbody. In fact, when we are near the bottom there are fights to get the last serving. With any recovery drink, you need to look at the Carb to Protein ratio. R&R is 4 to 1 (carbs to protein) with a large amount of simple sugar. 4 or 3 to 1 ratio is recommended for a recovery drink. So R&R is on the top side of that equation. And that equation came from a very reputable book about the science behind building muscle.

Yes, the high sugar content and the low protein had me curious. Typically, I am not taking in carbs after a workout, but do optimize on protein and bcaa. I carb up 2 hours before a workout (the complex variety - steel oats mixed with scoop protein). I always have great workouts. Maybe that is why my gains are slower despite great workouts. Diet is supreme clean. I need to eat more simple carbs after working out? If you thinly this is what is going on, I will definitely invest in the r&r. However not quite convinced. Sell me. :)

Edited by Fiddleman

Yes, the high sugar content and the low Protein had me curious. Typically, I am not taking in carbs after a workout, but do optimize on Protein and bcaa. Maybe that is why my gains are slower despite so much work. I need to eat more simple carbs after working out? If you thinly this is what is going on, I will definitely invest in the r&r. However not quite convinced. Sell me. :)

I don't know it by heart, but if you read this book, it will back up what I said, only in a much more detailed and longer format.

Nutrient Timing: The Future of Sports Nutrition by John Ivy et al. http://www.amazon.com/dp/1591201411/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_XPvdtb1BGDKAW

I have not found a much better 'complete' recovery drink than the R&R that has both the excellent carb/protein ratio and that still tastes good and has what you actually 'need' in it.

I copied this from a reviewer of the book because it's easier for me to copy and paste than to type it in my own words.

The book's "bombshell" contention is that timed carbohydrate intake is more important than Protein when it comes to building muscle. Nutrient Timing takes direct aim at what the authors call the "bulk nutrition" mentality: if Protein is good, then more protein must be better. "Unfortunately," they say, "you can consume the protein of an entire cow, but if your muscles are not receptive at that particular time, the protein will be wasted." Ivy and Portman cite two conditions that make the muscles receptive to protein. The first is training. By disrupting muscle tissue, high-intensity lifting creates a short-term demand for protein in the muscles.

The second key is insulin. Studies show that insulin increases net protein balance in three ways: 1) it increases amino acid transport into the muscle, 2) it stimulates the enzymes that make protein from amino acids, and 3) it reduces the breakdown of protein. To get the full anabolic benefits of insulin requires that you maximize its release after your workouts. Protein is a weak stimulator of insulin. Carbohydrate is a much stronger stimulator of insulin. When carbohydrate and protein are taken together after a workout, insulin release is much greater than when protein is taken alone and it acts as a kind of fuel injector that drives protein synthesis.

According to Ivy and Portman, the ideal post-workout supplement will have three to four times as much carbohydrate as protein, and they've got the science to prove it. For example, in one study they cite, a carbohydrate-protein supplement taken after a workout resulted in 38% more protein synthesis than a regular Protein shake of the kind that most gym rats use.

Nutrient Timing slays many sacred cows of muscle-building nutrition, but in the end it is thoroughly convincing. It is also very practical, explaining exactly what to take and when. The only thing left for you to do is work out!

Nutrition has always peaked my interest, I just never had self control to do what is right and over-ate all the time, this my reason for lapband. Hopefully this will be the tool to my personal success.

Thanks - I am big into research and will read this book.

Thanks - I am big into research and will read this book.

No problem. I hope you learn a lot from it. Just know that it is very hard to read in parts. A lot of science ;)

I did Insanity 5x a week because I am in a deployed environment and that is all I could do as my schedule allowed. Also, as Fiddle will attest, my eating plan was flawless, as I am battling an autoimmune disease and must eat clean for reasons beyond weight loss. I did not gain on Insanity, but I did not lose, not one ounce. Liifting however, within the first week of heavy lifting I lost 6 pounds.

I did Insanity 5x a week because I am in a deployed environment and that is all I could do as my schedule allowed. Also, as Fiddle will attest, my eating plan was flawless, as I am battling an autoimmune disease and must eat clean for reasons beyond weight loss. I did not gain on Insanity, but I did not lose, not one ounce. Liifting however, within the first week of heavy lifting I lost 6 pounds.

I gotcha ;)

Definitely some factors out there for ya. Glad you found something that works for you :)

This question might be really premature, but that is me (the ultimate planner):

what is a good progression to work through the beach body programs, considering the current available programs?

I have read online from certain individuals that graduate from px90 before doing insanity before doing insanity asylum. So it makes sense for me to do this also.

Sure beach body will come up with better programs over time, but what about this progression:

1. P90x

2. Insanity

3. Hybrid pdx90 and insanity

4. P90x2

5. Insanity asylum

6. Px903

7. T25

Forget that I will probably be over 40 by the time I get this far (almost 38 ). I am having a hard time deciphering from online research how to work through these in terms of working towards better and better fitness.

Steps 1-3 are pretty clear for me. Even step 4 and 5 make sense to follow. However, does one gain anything by doing step 6 or 7? I am pretty fit now, but do want to start at the beginning (p90x) before getting into the really hard stuff (step 5). I do not feel the need to take any short cuts.

Humor me by working through this exercise of planning, even if you think it is overkill. :)

Edited by Fiddleman

This question might be really premature, but that is me (the ultimate planner):

what is a good progression to work through the beach body programs, considering the current available programs?

I have read online from certain individuals that graduate from px90 before doing insanity before doing insanity asylum. So it makes sense for me to do this also.

Sure beach body will come up with better programs over time, but what about this progression:

1. P90x

2. Insanity

3. Hybrid pdx90 and insanity

4. P90x2

5. Insanity asylum

6. Px903

7. T25

Forget that I will probably be over 40 by the time I get this far (almost 38 ). I am having a hard time deciphering from online research how to work through these in terms of working towards better and better fitness.

Steps 1-3 are pretty clear for me. Even step 4 and 5 make sense to follow. However, does one gain anything by doing step 6 or 7? I am pretty fit now, but do want to start at the beginning (p90x) before getting into the really hard stuff (step 5). I do not feel the need to take any short cuts.

Humor me by working through this exercise of planning, even if you think it is overkill. :)

Yes. Definitely 1-3. I just started T25 and i have to say, it's a definite butt kicker. Now, if you want to save on time, you can definitely get X3 and be okay. It is NOT continuation of the original or the next. It is for the 30 mins or less individuals. BUT, to get to the hybrid, where all the good times roll ;), do the order you mentioned. It's the way to have the programs.

I saw some pretty great results with P90X, during the holiday time when I couldn't make it to my box due to schedules with clients. When I did the hybrid, I saw definition come through. And for a woman, THIS particular woman, my obliques came through. :).

Do you gain anything by steps 6 or 7? X3 is slightly technically different. It's condensed. You may or may not like it. Considering you have crossfit background, you may like the pace of it and multi-tasking that comes with it. Me? I enjoy the heck out of X2. It seems harder for me. But, it pushes me in areas I am weaker so it's going to seem harder.

AND I'm 43, since you put a number on it. Lol

Hope this helps