Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

$600 Bariatric Program Fee

My program (located in Boston) has a $550 fee. It gives you lifelong access to the PA for any health related questions and lifelong access to dietitians for any questions. They also monitor you closer than the other programs I looked into (more frequent appointments) and they are much easier to access. My feeling is, if you're comfortable with your surgeon and the ancillary staff, $550 is a small price to pay for peace of mind.

My program has a $600 program fee that isn't billable to insurance it's just a total out of pocket fee. My surgeons coordinator states it covers the nutritionist and lifetime group membership.

Does anyone else have such a fee and if so how much?

Mine had a $1000 fee. I know, it sucks. The surgeon really should include these services with the cost of the procedure so that people like you and I don't have to pay that out of pocket. I would suspect that this is a way for the surgeon to immediately get $1000 in his pocket and the insurance can't touch it or refuse to pay part of it. Just my opinion. It still sucks. :angry:

$1000 ok wait just a minute!! That's a lot of money on top of the portion of the surgery u could be responsible for. My percentage I'm responsible for is 30%. All in all like it or not if the surgeon we choose has these astronomical fees we have no other choice but to pay if we plan to remain with that practice. I love my surgeon I totally trust her so I will be shelling out this $600. Shoot hearing urs is $1000 I think I will gladly pay my $600. Lol

I just spoke with my friend in Maryland that was sleeved a couple months ago and hers have no fee either and lifetime group support sessions r free. I wonder if this is just an Atlanta thing. My insurance case manager said she's heard of a program fee being charged. $600 seems excessive but I will be paying it on the 27th.

Where did your friend get her surgery done in Maryland?

not sure which hospital but I will ask her tonight and post.

<p>I know there a bariatric practice in Frederick Maryland that has a $600 fee. I didn't use them because of this. I'm meeting a Northern Virginia surgeon tomorrow for my first appointment. There has been no mention of a fee thus far.</p>

some provide this info early on some don't. I'm not happy at all about this ridiculous bogus fee but I'd rather pay it and proceed with the surgeon I feel confident in than go with a few of the other surgeons I interviewed with a significantly reduced fee. Let us know how ur appointment goes.

I had a $200 dollar fee, I was told up front.

Had my first visit today. My insurance doesn't cover the nutrition part. My practice requires pre-op ($200) and post-op sessions. ($350).

I will also pay $150 hospital fee on my BCBS.

No fees at all for mine. Groups etc included.

I had $350 for the therapist

$250 for a mandatory "Success Habits Workshop"

$150 for a mandatory preliminary seminar where they spoke about foods etc and gave us a black binder of things to do and not to do...

total out of pocket, before surgery was $750...and insurance wouldn't/doesn't cover that part

If you are willing to pay the program fee (which I was) then I'd do it if the surgeon is extremely experienced. Just a note of caution: Check and double check that your insurance pays the rest. The place I went to said they'd check with my insurance to insure I had weight loss surgery covered. They never checked but told me they did and that I had coverage. So, I paid $750 program fee and also paid for 3 months of nutrition classes.

Well, I met with my surgeon for the pre-op (did everything they required... EKG, blood work, stress test, psyc, etc). Then when it was finally time to schedule they actually did check my insurance only to find out there is a weight-loss surgery exclusion. They said at the initial seminar that they were "pros" at dealing with insurance. Needless to say, they kept all my money and I have since checked out numerous other places, plus my sis had the surgery... There are many places that do not have a program fees.

One final note: this place who said they were pros with insurance wouldn't even take my calls once they found out there was an exclusion.

I hope someone can benefit from the mistake I made.

I am now going to be self-pay and going to Texas.

Wow, Melrose...mine wouldn't even touch me until they knew whether or not insurance would cover me...that's horrible! Well you got some tests out of it, and the new dr, should be able to get those tests from that dr and use them so you don't have to re-take, especially out of pocket!

Yes, I have my records (which I am taking).

Even though it's financially painful, I think I'm ending up with a better surgeon AND I HAVEN'T EVEN MET HIM. The doc I'm going to does his own testing included in the self-pay cost.

All things work together for my good....

My program did not require a fee but my insurance did not cover the psychiatrist and nutritionist and the fee for both of them was $240 and I will see the nutritionist for a year and the psych eval was only one visit.

I paid $200 for nutrionist and psych exam...most doctors in cinti charge a fee and I think the highest place was $500

I was told mine would be $200.

It looks like the program fees vary by surgeon office. So far I've seen anywhere from free to $1,000. I'm not happy about my $600 program fee but I'm thanking my bottom dollar it isn't $1,000.

Edited by CurvyCakes