Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

$600 Bariatric Program Fee

My program has a $600 program fee that isn't billable to insurance it's just a total out of pocket fee. My surgeons coordinator states it covers the nutritionist and lifetime group membership.

Does anyone else have such a fee and if so how much?

Mine has no fee either. They have lifetime support b

I just spoke with my friend in Maryland that was sleeved a couple months ago and hers have no fee either and lifetime group support sessions r free. I wonder if this is just an Atlanta thing. My insurance case manager said she's heard of a program fee being charged. $600 seems excessive but I will be paying it on the 27th.

Nope, no fee. Would your doctor charge you $600 as a program fee for getting your gallbladder out? Medical practices tend to use these extra admin fees on patients who opt for elective surgery. They feel they need to charge it because how many patients start the process and quit before the medical practice can realize the full amount of charges which makes the admin duties profitable. When in the process did they drop this on you? It seems a little steep but if you feel it is worth it and you can swing it, go for it. Probably easier than starting all over again.

It's on their website but more so geared towards the 6 month supervised diet fee which I totally have no problem with BUT when my insurance required me to do my 6 months through united health care healthy weight program I thought oh ok that fee doesn't apply to me. The coordinator at surgeon office said "well you would still need to pay that fee it will cover your 1 visit with nutritionist and lifetime group membership. I love my surgeon I'm 200% confident in her so I will be paying this fee on the 27th. I just thought $600 was steep considering it's totally out of pocket and not billable to insurance.

The CPA in me reminded me that you could add that to your Schedule A deductions of your tax return under medical expenses. It's always tough to get any real deductions on medical with the 7.5% of AGI threshold but don't forget about it come tax time next year. This should fall under medical expenses, perhaps a grey area but I've seen so many worse abuses on interpreting the US tax code.

Mine was $250 and I'm embarrassed to admit I have no idea what it covered.

Sassy it's just my personality that I need to know why and for what lol. Drove my parents bonkers especially as a teen.

My program through Salem Hospital, Salem MA has a $400. program fee. It wasn't covered by insurance either. I had to pay it before my first visit with the nurse and nutritionist. It covers all their visits, a 4 week pre surgery program, a 4 week post surgery program and monthly support groups. I've see the nurse and nutritionist monthly since July, had my surgery in December. We can go back to the post surgery program anytime we like (I'm still going, it helps keep me on track. It also includes a 3 month membership at the hospital gym. The hours of the gym are very limited though. They are open 8-7 Monday thru Friday and Saturday mornings 7-10. I haven't been able to take advantage of it because of my job. Although it was painful paying the $400. up front, it was well worth it to help keep me on track.

My program has a $600 program fee that isn't billable to insurance it's just a total out of pocket fee. My surgeons coordinator states it covers the nutritionist and lifetime group membership.

Does anyone else have such a fee and if so how much?

Mine had a $1000 fee. I know, it sucks. The surgeon really should include these services with the cost of the procedure so that people like you and I don't have to pay that out of pocket. I would suspect that this is a way for the surgeon to immediately get $1000 in his pocket and the insurance can't touch it or refuse to pay part of it. Just my opinion. It still sucks. :angry:

I just spoke with my friend in Maryland that was sleeved a couple months ago and hers have no fee either and lifetime group support sessions r free. I wonder if this is just an Atlanta thing. My insurance case manager said she's heard of a program fee being charged. $600 seems excessive but I will be paying it on the 27th.

Where did your friend get her surgery done in Maryland?

I know there a bariatric practice in Frederick Maryland that has a $600 fee. I didn't use them because of this. I'm meeting a Northern Virginia surgeon tomorrow for my first appointment. There has been no mention of a fee thus far.