Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Dreaded Catheter!

I just found out my surgeon uses a catheter...apparently inserted when I'm out and I will wake up to it. Of all the things to be nervous about, I have to admit catheter removal is right up at the top of that list! Having never had one, all I can imagine is extreme discomfort while in there (how the hell am I supposed to walk the halls with an effing catheter coming out of my crotch??), and removing it...oh god...removing a catheter!!?? Is it as bad as I am imagining it? I am not picturing pain exactly, but very weird nerve pain that will last long after the deed has been done....with ghost pain days after

Has anyone successfully lobbied their surgeon against giving them a catheter? It's an hour long surgery for cripes sake....stick a puppy pad under my butt if they are that concerned.

If you had the unfortunate experience of waking up with a catheter, would be willing to possibly describe the process so I am not so completely freaked out?

And if they are going to be down there sticking tubes up the hoo-ha...should I be considerate and groom? I, frankly, was planning on keeping things au natural down there for a while

Thanks for a place for a frank question and thanks in advance for the frank answers!

Edited by SparkleCat

I had a catheter. Didn't bother me one bit. Walking was not inhibited. Removal is slightly uncomfortable, but it happens so quickly, it's not a huge issue. And no residual pain.

It doesn't seem that you'd need one; is he 'new' to doing laparoscopic procedures? But...surgeon's preference.

They lube it up before inserting. Removal feels like a pulling thread, but no biggie and is quick. In short...don't sweat the small stuff.

Aside from basic hygiene, no need to groom the area; in fact, doing so may lead to increased risk of infection. Just leave it alone :-)

Edited by Dr-Patient

I had one both times that I had my kiddos. It's not really a big deal and it doesn't hurt coming out. I mean, it's slightly uncomfortable but it's super fast. I never had any pain after either, except maybe a tiny bit of burning the first time I peed and that was it. I would imagine that they will take it out once you're fully awake and can get up and walk to the bathroom on your own. I promise you'll be fine. I get it though...I'm terrified of the freaking IV.

Catheter's aren't really that big a deal - you won't feel it until they take it out, and then it's kind of uncomfortable, but it's not too bad. You probably won't have to walk with it - most of the time they take it out pretty soon after you wake up (they want to get you up and walking as soon as possible). Don't let it be a deterrent!

Thanks so much for all the info.

I can't say I'm still not worried...but at least I know others have been there and not had emotional scars afterward! :)

I'm not sure why this freaks me out and IV's, gas pain, leak tests and ob/gyn visits don't....I equate it with dental work! I'm strange I suppose.

I was like you but it was no big deal. The first 5 hours after surgery i didn't even know it was there lol. Trust me you'll be thinking about other things those first few days. Removal is fast and it kinda just feels like you're peeing when they pull it out.

I had a catheter when both of my kids were born because I had c-sections both times. It wasn't painful at all, and, yeah, during removal it just feels like you have to pee.

What *I'M* concerned about is drainage tube removal, and I have heard that can be uncomfortable (although not every surgeon uses them).

Edited by Scylla

catheter: since they switched at sutter health to a cheaper brand I thought it was more irritating, stiffer tube. removal: no sweat, and a relief. residual, slightly sore at home since I have a VERY sensitive urethra, long unnecessary story. a couple pyridium over the counter took care of that. drain removal: process not painful, very irritating when in, happier the moment they took it out. dont sweat the small stuff , comparable to the annoyance of an iv and nothing permanent. love, sara

Loved mine. Nothing was more fun than watching myself pee while walking down the hall. :D

One of the highlights of my hospital stay was packing up the box of pee to walk the halls! I actually psyched myself out for nothing! Glad to get rid of it, but it wasn't a huge deal

Edited by SparkleCat

I was sooooo scared of this too!! It turned out to be nothing!!!! I was actually thankful for it because with all thr fluids they give us during sugery, I would be going to the bathroom every 5 minutes. Coming out was fine just felt weird, but I can def empathize as this was my number 1 concern next to the drain, and that was just more annoying than anything else! Good luck

I had one with both my natural births but not with the sleeve and how I wish I had. I hated having to get up every few minutes to go to the bathroom even though I was even drinking anything (darn IV) from my experience they aren't that bad but I was concerned the first time so I understand how you feel. Ask your surgeon why he uses it might help if you know the reason. I wish I would have thought to ask for one :) Good luck with your surgery.

I had one with both my natural births but not with the sleeve and how I wish I had. I hated having to get up every few minutes to go to the bathroom even though I was even drinking anything (darn IV) from my experience they aren't that bad but I was concerned the first time so I understand how you feel. Ask your surgeon why he uses it might help if you know the reason. I wish I would have thought to ask for one :) Good luck with your surgery.

My surgeon used a catheter because he said one of the first signs of a leak is decreased urine output....having a catheter gives them the ability to quickly see output.

He has only had one leak and he caught it within 24 hours.

Once he explained the reason...I was more on board!

My surgeon used a catheter because he said one of the first signs of a leak is decreased urine output....having a catheter gives them the ability to quickly see output.

He has only had one leak and he caught it within 24 hours.

Once he explained the reason...I was more on board!

See convenient and life saving I knew I liked them :) was it as bad as you thought?