Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sleevers with Rheumatoid Arthritis

Hi, I was sleeved 5 weeks ago tomorrow. I'm feeling great. I am of course over due for my infusion by 2 weeks. I'm scheduled this week for it.

I was wondering how others are doing?

I haven't had surgery yet (3/10), but I'm so glad to meet a sleever with RA. I was diagnosed 3 or so years ago, but had symptoms for at least 10 before that. I had my remicade Friday and it remains to be seen how long I will wait to go back after. The rheumatologist said I only have to miss a week or so of methotrexate injections, so that's good. I can't help but think the weight coming off the joints will counteract the delay in getting the infusion on board...I sure hope so!

I have RA, as well but have been avoiding medication because of the effects on my weight! :(. I told myself that I was going to use this journey as also a way for me to go gluten free. I've been tested for celiac and other related allergies but the tests always came back negative. I've read so many articles on how gluten affects joint pain that I can't help but think that it couldn't hurt. I'm only 2.5 weeks post op, 27 lbs down, and have stayed gluten free since surgery....my joint pain has subsided!!! I don't know if it's the weight or gluten but I've not felt this good in years! I hope you all experience the same relief!!! ????

I have RA and have not been sleeved yet. I'm hoping my joints will feel better after this weight comes off. :)

Thursday I go for my infusion. I stopped methotrexate over a year ago! I'm just now beginning to feel as though I need my remicade.

Good luck everyone with your surgery! So far I'm thrilled.

I was sleeved on June 4th and immediately after I had a major flare up of my arthritis. Previously I relied on ibruprofen for pain relief day to day and for flare ups I went on corticosteroids and methotrexate. No NSAIDS now and have no relief with narcotic analgesics. I hope to start methotrexate soon. The pain has been unbearable, in fact I went to the ER last night because I seriously started to think maybe I had a blood clot. No blood clot, Thank God! I do have Baker's cysts behind my knee, due to inflammation. I will have to follow up with a surgeon. I have lost 19.6 lbs. and had hoped for more but due to lack of mobility I know I am not burning the calories I could be. I look forward to feeling better so I can make more progress! This will not stop me or get me down, I have come to far!!!!

I haven't been sleeved, yet. I am just beginning my journey. I have my surgeon consult on 6/30 and I will start my 3 month weight management the same day. I just have to weigh my exact weight on the day on consult to qualify as 40+ bmi, so that my insurance will cover the surgery. Anyway, I also have RA, Lupus, Sjorens, and antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Right now, I'm just on Imuran for the lupus/RA/Sjogrens and I'm on eliquis for the ASP. all autoimmune. The lupus/ RA have played a major part in my not-so-active lifestyle. I am a special needs Mama, and honestly, after I've taken care of him, I'm just give out. I know that lupus/ra etc, won't be cured by the weight loss from surgery. I just hope that by losing the weight, I've done everything I can do to not add to the risks I face from these diseases. My special needs son is going to need his Mama for many many more years. My mother passed away the day after her 48th birthday. I was 24. I don't want the same story ending.

<p>I haven't been sleeved, yet. I am just beginning my journey. I have my surgeon consult on 6/30 and I will start my 3 month weight management the same day. I just have to weigh my exact weight on the day on consult to qualify as 40+ bmi, so that my insurance will cover the surgery. Anyway, I also have RA, Lupus, Sjorens, and antiphospholipid antibody syndrome. Right now, I'm just on Imuran for the lupus/RA/Sjogrens and I'm on eliquis for the ASP. all autoimmune. The lupus/ RA have played a major part in my not-so-active lifestyle. I am a special needs Mama, and honestly, after I've taken care of him, I'm just give out. I know that lupus/ra etc, won't be cured by the weight loss from surgery. I just hope that by losing the weight, I've done everything I can do to not add to the risks I face from these diseases. My special needs son is going to need his Mama for many many more years. My mother passed away the day after her 48th birthday. I was 24. I don't want the same story ending.</p>

I am sorry to hear about your Momma. :( what did she die from?