Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this site and new to the idea of getting gastric bypass surgery. I am currently 240lbs with a BMI of 41and I have T2D as well as thyroid issues. I am 37 years old and female. A friend of mine recently had Gastric Bypass several days ago and is doing good so far. She had her surgery at MUSC in Charleston, SC where I would like to have mine. I have BCBS insurance and I have already started my process to see if I am a candidate for this surgery. I have my psychological testing in March along with my nutritional classes. One of my questions is in reference to BCBS. Wondering if anyone else has this insurance and what the company requires to be approved for the surgary. Also, what type of complications if any, were related to the surgery? My partner had the surgery 8 years ago and lost about 200lbs. However, she still has complications from the surgery such as anemia, Constipation, stomach cramps, etc. I am trying to decide if this surgery is what I want. I have tried all my life to lose weight ever since I hit puberty. I have tried all the fad diets, exercise programs, etc and I just want to feel better and hopefully not have to deal with issues that I am sure will be arising soon due to my weight. Both of my parents are obese and neither one qualified for the surgery due to other health related issues that they have. I am excited with the prospect of getting this surgery soon, but also afraid of the long term effects that I have had heard people deal with years down the road from the surgery. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi congrats on your choice to be healthy, I haven't had my surgery yet but I should have it next month , I would make a list of all the positives you would have if you had the surgery and then then list the negatives ones. I hope the positives outweighs the negatives.

Edited by Cupcake

Hello Everyone, I am new to this site and new to the idea of getting gastric bypass surgery. I am currently 240lbs with a BMI of 41and I have T2D as well as thyroid issues. I am 37 years old and female. A friend of mine recently had Gastric Bypass several days ago and is doing good so far. She had her surgery at MUSC in Charleston, SC where I would like to have mine. I have BCBS insurance and I have already started my process to see if I am a candidate for this surgery. I have my psychological testing in March along with my nutritional classes. One of my questions is in reference to BCBS. Wondering if anyone else has this insurance and what the company requires to be approved for the surgary. Also, what type of complications if any, were related to the surgery? My partner had the surgery 8 years ago and lost about 200lbs. However, she still has complications from the surgery such as anemia, Constipation, stomach cramps, etc. I am trying to decide if this surgery is what I want. I have tried all my life to lose weight ever since I hit puberty. I have tried all the fad diets, exercise programs, etc and I just want to feel better and hopefully not have to deal with issues that I am sure will be arising soon due to my weight. Both of my parents are obese and neither one qualified for the surgery due to other health related issues that they have. I am excited with the prospect of getting this surgery soon, but also afraid of the long term effects that I have had heard people deal with years down the road from the surgery. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Welcome! You will find so much good information and really wonderful people. I am 39, 5'2" and weigh 234, so our stats are similar. I started the process in September 2013 and will be having surgery on the 5th. I documented all the things I did to lose weight and all my medical issues, went to a seminar then went and talked to my doctor. She was super supportive. Support is so important and a surgeon you feel comfortable with.

Good luck!!

Greatwhite, welcome to the site and good luck with your decision. I have bcbs of mn. Every policy and what is covered can be different, it depends on what your company has decided to purchase for coverage. You can go online to the bcbs website and see what your requirements are. I can tell you what they required for me. Documented at least two years of obesity, also documented attempts at losing weight, bmi of 40 or co-morbidities and bmi of 35, and a three month supervised diet or behavior modification program. I finished everything the last of January and am now just waiting for approval. I actually don't know yet if the mayo has submitted to them yet, but that's where I am at. Yell if you have any questions anyone here will be more than happy to help. The best thing really is before you start with the appointments and such is to call your insurance and ask them every question about coverage you have. Ask them what is covered, before during and after the surgery. There are many parts of the process that some people here have found out may or may not be covered.

I live in Charleston as well, and am having my surgery with Roper on August 19th. I'm not sure how MUSC structures your WLS journey, but at Roper they require you to attend a 1hour information session that Dr. Mitchell holds once a month, before Dr. Mitchell will see you for your first one on one consultation. During this information session, Roper collected our insurance information, and then they called me back two days later to let me know my insurance company's requirements. Before I could be approved I have to meet with my PCP every 30 days for 6 months to discuss my weight loss progress...hence the surgery date of August 19th.

Also, I totally relate to the apprehension behind side effects and long term consequences. I wasn't even considering gastric bypass when I first met my surgeon. The malabsorptive component freaked me out, so I wanted banded or the sleeve. Through a lot of education, I've found learned that I will have the best chances of long term success with the bypass because sleeve patients and band patients don't experience dumping syndrome as a side effect from poor choices. I think this side effect is going to help me be more accountable in the long run, and the negative reinforcement will help me to not fall into bad habits.

I started a YouTube channel to document what I experience pre and post op. Feel free to watch, and good luck to you!

http://www.youtube.com/user/MellieMay80

Mellie May

I'm also new to the site and I'm having my surgery in one week. I am looking for all of the support that I can handle...I'm glad that you all are here to help me on my journey. I'm excited, scared and nervous all at the same time!!

Great job I will follow you video .