Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Pre op band is gone bypass is approved

So I got the call on Friday I was approved for RNY surgery. I feel like I have come a long way in the past few years. I originally had lapband surgery in 2011. My highest weight was 360lbs ( I think?) and around 336lb surgery day. I went as low as 259lbs in 6 months and that was it. My band was never adjusted in a way where I felt restriction. Then due to insurance and financial issues I left the first Dr I had. I had continous pain at port site and in my stomach. The weight slowly started to creep back on then more quickly. I gained almost every pound back. I felt like a failier and that I had wasted my chance. All the food that were healthy were the hardest to eat andI reverted to high cal slider foods. I had lost the mindset I developed that helped me lose the weight initially. So in Nov of 2012 I found a new doctor ( came highly recommended by several people) and had a consult. I spent almost a year after thinking about my decision. In June I started to see my private dr to do the required 6month appt and started to see my cardiologist and etc. (I had many cardio visits and tests due to a heart condition I had in pregnancy) Anyway in Oct 2013 I had my band removed. My new Dr is one of those who follow the practice of not doing a revision in one surgery. ( which, although I was disappointed was the best decision because I had tons on scar tissue) So after all that I am glad to say I was approved last Friday!! : ) I had my last pre op appoint today and tomorrow starts the liquid diet which I am so nervous about. I mean I guess I gotta do what it takes cuz my dr says he will not do surgery till I drop 20 lbs.It will most likely be in March. ( a week after my B day! ) I am looking forward to this new chapter and lifestyle but I still feel like I'm morning food instead of my old fat body ( and its inconveniences) SOO Anyway thats me...Any tips and advise would be more than welcome.

So I got the call on Friday I was approved for RNY surgery. I feel like I have come a long way in the past few years. I originally had lapband surgery in 2011. My highest weight was 360lbs ( I think?) and around 336lb surgery day. I went as low as 259lbs in 6 months and that was it. My band was never adjusted in a way where I felt restriction. Then due to insurance and financial issues I left the first Dr I had. I had continous pain at port site and in my stomach. The weight slowly started to creep back on then more quickly. I gained almost every pound back. I felt like a failier and that I had wasted my chance. All the food that were healthy were the hardest to eat andI reverted to high cal slider foods. I had lost the mindset I developed that helped me lose the weight initially. So in Nov of 2012 I found a new doctor ( came highly recommended by several people) and had a consult. I spent almost a year after thinking about my decision. In June I started to see my private dr to do the required 6month appt and started to see my cardiologist and etc. (I had many cardio visits and tests due to a heart condition I had in pregnancy) Anyway in Oct 2013 I had my band removed. My new Dr is one of those who follow the practice of not doing a revision in one surgery. ( which, although I was disappointed was the best decision because I had tons on scar tissue) So after all that I am glad to say I was approved last Friday!! : ) I had my last pre op appoint today and tomorrow starts the liquid diet which I am so nervous about. I mean I guess I gotta do what it takes cuz my dr says he will not do surgery till I drop 20 lbs.It will most likely be in March. ( a week after my B day! ) I am looking forward to this new chapter and lifestyle but I still feel like I'm morning food instead of my old fat body ( and its inconveniences) SOO Anyway thats me...Any tips and advise would be more than welcome.

Have you considered the sleeve?

@ sweetcheeks14 after having the band I really didn't give much thought to the sleeve. I feel since I have a large amount of weight to lose I would benefit more from the malabsorbative properties of RNY. I discussed both options with my Doctor and he agreed with me. Also after I had my band removed the Doctor said that my stomach had so much scar tissue that the sleeve would have been a poor option for me anyway.

<p>@ sweetcheeks14 after having the band I really didn't give much thought to the sleeve. I feel since I have a large amount of weight to lose I would benefit more from the malabsorbative properties of RNY. I discussed both options with my Doctor and he agreed with me. Also after I had my band removed the Doctor said that my stomach had so much scar tissue that the sleeve would have been a poor option for me anyway.</p>

Oh okay that makes sense....wish you the best!

I had lapband removed in June, due to it slipping and my current insurance only covers RNY, thought i was gonna "make it on my own". had band for 5 yrs, and has gone from highest of 314 to lowest of 199. was around 216 at surgery and the weighyr was creeping back up for months until the arthritis pain kicked in and almost completely haltese my exercise, argh! now gaining more and faster. I was approved in january for bariatric program and today for my orientation. since i just discovered this site yesterday, am excited to hear how yours goes for you!!