Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Day of Surgery!

Didnt have such a nice nights sleep last night. I woke up feeling really agitated with sharp stomach pains...the kind you feel when youre behind on pain meds. I have a tiny fever of 99.5 this morning...anyone ever experience anything similar 3 days post op ?

Didnt have such a nice nights sleep last night. I woke up feeling really agitated with sharp stomach pains...the kind you feel when youre behind on pain meds. I have a tiny fever of 99.5 this morning...anyone ever experience anything similar 3 days post op ?

I had this experience for about a week. My temp what up and down, if it gets higher you want to call your surgeon just so they know to play it safe. The discomfort and sharp pains were common for me for about a week. When I slept I would put a pillow on each side on me, and kind of tuck them in. For me, my recliner was my best friend lol. Remember to sip and walk :-) Keeping up with those are key to quicker recovery and healing time! Thanks for the updates ;-)

Recliner would be perfect...ive been trying to sleep completely upright because when I lay flat my lungs i just feel crushed. Feeling pretty good right now...my boyfriend made himself a bacon sasuage and egg Breakfast and my sister is on her way to pick up an ice cream cake for her birthday and I dont feel like im missimg out on anything. Its kind of crazy how food just has a differnt meaning to me after this surgery and im hoping to keep that up! My sister is actually getting the surgery herself in a few weeks. I took my first Bariatric Fusion Vitamin today and it was AWFUL..can't wait to do that 4 times a day. Fever did end up going dowm..probably because I had let my pain meds expire. How long after coming home were you guys still on narcotic pain meds?

Recliner would be perfect...ive been trying to sleep completely upright because when I lay flat my lungs i just feel crushed. Feeling pretty good right now...my boyfriend made himself a bacon sasuage and egg breakfast and my sister is on her way to pick up an ice cream cake for her birthday and I dont feel like im missimg out on anything. Its kind of crazy how food just has a differnt meaning to me after this surgery and im hoping to keep that up! My sister is actually getting the surgery herself in a few weeks. I took my first bariatric fusion Vitamin today and it was AWFUL..can't wait to do that 4 times a day. Fever did end up going dowm..probably because I had let my pain meds expire. How long after coming home were you guys still on narcotic pain meds?

Glad your feeling a little better! I LOVED my recliner. Try putting two or three pillows behind you in bed and then tuck one in on each side. Food has a whole new meaning after surgery...meaningless lol. Well for me it did, ppl differ though I guess. I was off pain meds a couple days after being home ( I was in hospital though for four days, not one). After a couple days of being home I didn't feel the need for them until maybe a week after then when my side was bothering me. Took them for two days at that point. Your left side bothering you is normal, as when they do it they move a lot on that side and flip your liver. That discomfort lasted about two to three weeks, it was discomfort, not pain. Glad you have a supportive boyfriend, my husband (gay marriage is legal here in NY) was not supportive so I had the support of my best friend who also had the sleeve, and a husband who put on a last min act like he gave a crap lol. Thanks for the updates!!

Ive been having some trouble tonight..I have a lot of pressure on my trachea and in my throat. ..did I drink too much? It feels difficult to get a full breath in. uts not gas pressure. ..it feels different. ..any insight?

Ive been having some trouble tonight..I have a lot of pressure on my trachea and in my throat. ..did I drink too much? It feels difficult to get a full breath in. uts not gas pressure. ..it feels different. ..any insight?

Are you gulping?

Get this bottle called a Camelbak, it is EXTREAMLY effective for bariatric patients and it just looks like a regular water bottle, they come in many colors. You can get them online, just google Camelbak Bottle. They are very effective and they prevent any air from entering when drinking and also make it so your sips are controlled. It is EXTREAMLY effective!

So last night I learned that even though they SAY to call them if you have questions your surgeons DO NOT MEAN IT! I hadn't been gulping and I gave myself a lot of time to digest what I had taken in but I couldn't get ride of the swollen throat feeling. I had problems finding a pain med in the hospital and I didn't want to take my pain meds and fall asleep and risk an allergy that would close my airway off. I called the answering service and my surgeron was on call, he called me back and sounded half asleep and REALLY annoyed. He told me to take benedryl and kinda just brushed me off. I felt bad for calling but I was told that if I was having anxiety I could call to get answers..so I'm feeling a little crappy about that because I had previously really enjoyed my surgeon and his program. I think the crystal light I was drinking constantly was itching my throat..i've since switched to Water and the lump in my throat has gone down. Im struggling with some serious head hunger. I'm sick of broth, Water, Jello and popsicles. Any suggestions to switch up the menu a bit? I had another rough night last night because I dont have the most conformtable bed and I also decided not to take my narcotic pain meds last night. I woke up in the middle of the night in serious pain...mostly my back. Finally this morning after my throat started to feel better so I started back up on my pain meds and got a little sleep. Feeling really weak but my incisions are healing nicley...just wish I could could a grip on the head hunger! It doens't help that today is my sisters birthday and theres cake and ice cream everywhere. I atleast know its not actual hunger because I feel full!!

Get this bottle called a Camelbak, it is EXTREAMLY effective for bariatric patients and it just looks like a regular Water bottle, they come in many colors. You can get them online, just google Camelbak Bottle. They are very effective and they prevent any air from entering when drinking and also make it so your sips are controlled. It is EXTREAMLY effective!

I'm looking at the bottle. Is it the camelbak eddy where u can remove the straw and suck?

Yes that is it!!

I'm looking at the bottle. Is it the camelbak eddy where u can remove the straw and suck?

It's a straw, but it's not. I am told not to drink from a straw, and my program has everyone get these. They prevent any air from getting in (which is why we are told not to use straws). It is highly effective and I swear by it. Very good investment. Every bariatric patient should have one

It's a straw, but it's not. I am told not to drink from a straw, and my program has everyone get these. They prevent any air from getting in (which is why we are told not to use straws). It is highly effective and I swear by it. Very good investment. Every bariatric patient should have one

Thanks so much. My surgery is next Tues the 25th and I just ordered one from Amazon!!

Great! Wishing you nothing but the best and a quick recovery! Please keep me updated on your surgery and progress. You wiling be disappointed at all once you get the Camelbak! Makes a HUGE diff when drinking following WLS.

Day 6 post op. I gotta say I'm having a hard time getting all my liquids in. I have yet to hit 64 oz in a day. I'm feeling really weak because of that. I have my first pre-op appointment with my surgeon on Thursday where I can hopefully get my staples removed. I'm still in a considerable amount of pain-most of it from gas pressure and the internal stitches. I've been running a small fever on and off and I can see that my stomach is a little swollen. I dont have the most supportive of work enviorments and the thought of going back on Sunday is scaring me. i dunno if I can stand for a full 8 hours..if you were to ask me to do that today I would last probably 1 hour. So we will see how that goes. If any pre op's are reading this thread I guess the most important thing I've learned so far is that-THIS IS A PAINFUL SURGERY. THE PAIN WILL NOT BE CONTROLLED BY YOUR PAIN MEDS. Thats what I thought going in..that I would only have pain if I was off my meds...not true!!

Day 6 post op. I gotta say I'm having a hard time getting all my liquids in. I have yet to hit 64 oz in a day. I'm feeling really weak because of that. I have my first pre-op appointment with my surgeon on Thursday where I can hopefully get my staples removed. I'm still in a considerable amount of pain-most of it from gas pressure and the internal stitches. I've been running a small fever on and off and I can see that my stomach is a little swollen. I dont have the most supportive of work enviorments and the thought of going back on Sunday is scaring me. i dunno if I can stand for a full 8 hours..if you were to ask me to do that today I would last probably 1 hour. So we will see how that goes. If any pre op's are reading this thread I guess the most important thing I've learned so far is that-THIS IS A PAINFUL SURGERY. THE PAIN WILL NOT BE CONTROLLED BY YOUR PAIN MEDS. Thats what I thought going in..that I would only have pain if I was off my meds...not true!!

Your shouldn't be going back to work doing a standing job for about four weeks! Recovery is very important with this surgery as any. Take the time you need to recover. Everyone's pain threshold is different, as I personally didn't find it nearly what I expected. I expected a tremendous amount of pain and was beyond surprised of the little pain and discomfort I felt, and I'm a whimp lol.