Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly-banded But These Posts Are Discouraging!

Hello fellow Bandsters !

I was banded on 3/21/07, weight 270 lbs, current weight 265. liquid diet so far, no soft or solid food yet. I am brimming with excitement and hope, but after reading several stories of extremely slow weight loss or weight regain, I am feeling apprehensive....for you experienced bandsters out there who have been blogging for awhile: What is the average weight loss? I know the literature says 1-3 lbs a week, but is that realistic? I want so much to succeed at this! I'm planning on following the correct diet and exercise program, hopefully to the T....I don't want to be one of those folks who lost 11 lbs in a year ! Please, folks, give me your wisdom !! :help:

Personally, I think if you read a little more, you'll find more positive posts than negative. Everyone's experience is different. But, I for one, am thrilled with my progress. Granted, I work my arse off to get there, but I know it wouldn't have happened without the band.

Two major points...you need to follow the band diet...and you really need to exercise! We all have times when we stop losing for a while, just don't give up.

Oh, and if you need a fill....get a fill! Don't think the band will work without proper restriction.

That's all the pearls of wisdom I have! LOL!! Good luck!

I get banded on the 4-3-07. I can't wait! I think alot of people are not using it as a tool but as the only means of losing weight! I really think that people are just relaying on the band. I have meet a couple of people that have been banded and they are losing alot fast but they are really using it as a tool.

Daffodil, I am considered a slow loser at 1 lb per week. Its been discouraging but my doctor did tell me you can expect to lose 30-50% of your excess weight the first year. That puts me right on track at 46 lbs with about 40 more to go. I don't exercise and I know that plays a big/huge role in not losing faster. Follow the band rules and you'll do fine.

I always felt like a slow loser in the begining. I saw lots of people lose faster that I did I kept wondering what I did wrong. The answer is nothing! Every body is different and we all lose at different rates.

I too saw a ton of negative posts when I first arrived but you have to learn about the bad along with the good. Do more reading and you will find post that may inspire and motivate you.

My surgeon made the point that just like any other weight loss program, banding is NOT a cure, but a lifestyle change; therefore, adjustments have to be made. In order to be successful in our journeys, we can't go back to the habits we had before. 1-3 pounds a week is actually a very realistic, average loss.

As I was also told by my PCP, "You didn't put it on overnight, don't expect it to come off overnight either." I think with developing the mentality that I CAN do this, that I HAVE to do this in order to prolong my own life and improve my health, along with being around supportive influences, can be excellent outlets. It's not going to be easy, but is anything ever worth getting is?;)

I think I'm a medium to fast loser, I'm happy with my loss. This is my anniversary month and I've lost 157lbs:biggrin1:

Just wanting to let you know that untill now I haven't been too excited about having the band although i'm only 2 weeks post op....I had my first visit with dr. today and he noticed I was discouraged... b/c I have been following Protein diet but I feel no restriction at all and wont untill fills. However I have been eating very little b/c I feel "I'm not going to fail at this" and been depriving myself of feeling full b/c I don't want the scale to keep climbing. My dr. instructed me to make sensible choices but don't deprive myself b/c this is a life change and the weight will come off once the tool is working. I'm in diet mind mode and I have to get out of it...Well I just want to give you words of encouragement that you will do fine and I know Liquids stage was the toughest for me. Hang in there.

;)

Thank you all for your encouraging words ! I realize intellectually that weight will come off if the diet and exercise plan is followed.....but being such a weight loss failure in the past one gets a little anxious and apprehensive...This forum helps tremendously, as I see myself in so many of you and understand our commonalities !

Good luck to everyone ! Happy Spring, Happy Easter, LET'S DO IT !

I was a fast loser, and am now probably one of the slower. Also known as a "winded rabbit". I lost about 50% of my excess weight by the 6 month mark or shortly after, and have been plucking away at 2 or 3 pounds every handful of months since then.

I'm a slower loser. i have 160ish pounds to lose and have lost 52 as of this morning. I've had my band almost 8 months. A lot of my fellow August bandsters have lost much more then me and it discourages me at times but my doctor tells me that I'm doing great and doing it right and not to worry about how others do it, all that matters is how I do it!

Tann, that's GREAT! I hope I'm doing as well at a year as you are!

Daffodil, we've all feared the same thing. And even once you start doing well, you'll fear that your weight loss is going to stop. But that fear probably is not doing anything positive for you, so try to get past it and focus on the positives. I know it's easier said than done.

Bsoutherngirl: Thanks for the encouragement. I feel no restriction at all, either...I am 12 days post-op....So I am really keeping my portions down, as I don't wish to gain any weight !

Tann: 157 lbs ! WONDERFUL!!!! How did you do it? Did you exercise? Please give me some advice. I am 12 days post-op.

pre-op weight 287

sx date weight 270

current weight 260

banded 3/21/07

Bsoutherngirl: Thanks for the encouragement. I feel no restriction at all, either...I am 12 days post-op....So I am really keeping my portions down, as I don't wish to gain any weight !

Tann: 157 lbs ! WONDERFUL!!!! How did you do it? Did you exercise? Please give me some advice. I am 12 days post-op.

pre-op weight 287

sx date weight 270

current weight 260

banded 3/21/07

I try to follow my dr.s diet which is mostly Protein with non starchy veggies. And I'm supposed to drink a gallon of Water aday, which I have only done once.:faint: I do mostly walking for exercise and sometimes I go to my gym. I try to stay on my dr.s diet at least 6 days a week and one day during the week I eat off program:hungry: sometimes all day or sometimes for just one meal, it depends on how I feel.

I"ve lost 33 pounds(as of last week, i've stopped weighing until i go in on the 12th for a doctors appt) and all I know is,,,I couldnt have lost it without my band,,,,I wont continue to lose if I dont do what I'm supposed to do,,and I have to remember that I didnt put on all this fat overnight so it's not going to come off overnight,,,this is a long journey and I want to make it the best trip of my life.

Banded 1/29/07

Dr Ken Cleveland-CMMC-Jackson, MS

331/298/150