Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Impatiently waiting for a surgery date

Hi all, I have been in this process since September 2013 after being diagnosed with diabetes and deciding that I had spent enough time just thinking about surgery and researching, etc.....I went to an informational forum recommended by my primary doctor and decided on the gastric bypass. Then I started the process of doctor appointments, meeting the surgeon for the first time on November 27, 2013, the day before Thanksgiving. I had already started to lose weight due to the diabetes situation. As things progressed I got the indication from everyone that I met with that I would have everything completed in time to have my surgery by mid January to mid February. I have been to the nutritionist, the workshops, etc....my long visit with the nurse and my last surgery appointment were scheduled for today but due to the weather, I had to cancel. It turns out that I don't need to be in a hurry because based on my insurance guidelines, I have to have been enrolled in this program for at least 3 months before they can even submit my paperwork for surgery. So that means my paperwork won't be submitted until at least 2.27-14 at the earliest. I have made so many changes in my life. My husband and I moved out of our home, leaving my daughter and her 4 children there and moved into an apartment so that we could reduce our daily stress. I have begun swimming three times a week to get my self into a routine of exercising. I have been trying to get things done ahead of time at work so that there will be a minimal disruption while I am out. I am ready.......mentally, physically, emotionally......and now.......another whole month of waiting......I am afraid that I am going to get discouraged and overeat.....I have been trying to stay positive and focused but just feel so anxious not knowing when this journey will begin.......anyone else in my shoes? How do I keep my resolve?

Most insurance requirements are 6 months or so. My surgical group actually won't even submit your paperwork to insurance until you attend a 6 month nutrition class. Between all the appointments and insurance requirements, my entire process was about 1 year from initial seminar to surgery. You most definitely are not the only one that went or are going through it. You should actually feel thankful that your insurance will even accept you. Many flat out deny requests for WLS.

Unfortunately it's just one of those things you have no control over and need to patient about. Pushing the surgeon's office certainly won't help. What might help is starting to prepare yourself now for some of the post surgery things you'll have to do.

1. Work on the 30/30 rule. This is probably something you have been introduced to already. Don't drink 30 minutes before your meal, take about 30 minutes to eat your meal, then don't drink anything for 30 minutes afterward. Trust me, it's harder than it looks and takes time. Getting used to it now is better than trying to learn later and hurting yourself by drinking with a meal.

2. Get used to taking Vitamins. Find chewable or liquid options for after surgery. Vitamins will be your friends for the rest of your life.

3. Research Protein supplements and find one that you like. Just be warned, your tastes will change after your bypass surgery.

4. Find other online resources for recipes. You'll most likely be on a liquid diet for a bit after surgery, then will progress to mushy/purees. Resources like Eggface or Bariatric Foodie might help you learn a bit before the surgery. Education is the most important part of your journey.

5. Work on weighting and tracking your food. You'll be on a strict portion limit for at least the first 6 months or so after surgery. Get used to weighing foods and forming the habit now.

Just be patient. I know it's not what you want hear, but it's the truth. And remember, it's a marathon, not a sprint, even after surgery. It won't happen overnight.

Oh boy, I started my journey December 24, 2012!!! My insurance required a year supervised, weight management classes, and a once a month weigh in! Also the normal dietician and social worker appointments and group sessions. I finally got approved in January and now my meeting with my surgeon is on February 24th, I'll get my surgery date at that meeting. By the time I have surgery it will be 15-16 months since I started the process til my surgery and at first I was frustrated with the lengthy process but now I am so thankful for it. I have learned so much attending the classes and they really prepare us on how to use our new tools. I am starting to get very emotional and stressing about everything now that I know it's getting closer. I'm losing my patients again and just want it to be over with so I can stop worrying about it and live! It may not seem like it now but it will be here before we know it! And I look at it like hey, it gives me that much more time to lose weight before surgery and that's like money in the bank! ;-) goodluck and keep on keepin on it will be here before you know it.

Thanks for your replies..I appreciate your reminders that this is a long and lifetime process....I guess I was just venting my frustration....My entire life seems to always be about waiting and having patience....when the kids are big enough for school, then I'll take care of myself....when the kids get into middle school, I will have time to work out.....when the kids go off to college, etc......something always gets in the way, or I let things get in the way.....It takes me a long time to make a decision but once I have made it...I need to go forward. I am still losing weight so people are complementing me and encouraging me at work....I am still eating some of the things I love so much but only once more and in much smaller portions. I am trying to stay positive but my weight combined with bad knees are working together to make this winter weather so difficult to get around. I keep telling myself that by next winter I will weigh so much less and it won't be so hard to get around. I have my "final" apt with my surgeon this coming Weds and then my family visit with the Nurse on March 3rd. The program told me they were submitting my paperwork on 2/27so it will most likely be the second week of March for surgery.....csmcord, thank you very much for the list of things to focus on....that will keep my mind busy and help me to get mentally ready for this....and Kristinrny you sound like you have had a positive experience and will do well with all the preparation you have done.