Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Stalls, Cravings and Tummy Rumbles

I've been in a stall for the past 2 weeks. So that doesn't help with my cravings. And of course vise versa. Revolving door.

I'm not phys hungry. Just want to snack. I'll only eat a half a serving. Ugh. Same old me. And I know better. Weak. weak. weak. Yup....down the hatch goes a whole serving.

I do fine during the day while at work, no snacking, no urge to. But at night and while at home, munch munch munch. Why? Self destruction. Why? Who knows.

I wake up the next morning....ok, I'm gonna stop this crap. Wth am I doing throwing this gift away. Bed time rolls around and I need something sweet. I've tried fruits and shakes to try and curb the sweet craving. My taste buds say lady ur crazy that ain't sweet!

My abdomen rumbles like crazy now. Half growl, half gargle. It's so loud. Especially after a meal. I truly don't know if it's a happy satisfied noise or a warning of things yet to come, cuz that does happen several hours later.

Anyone else going through or been through any if this? Just in a funk.

I would say your urges at night are head games. You know what is right and what is wrong, no one needs to tell you. I have heard that sweets create urges for more sweets....

I would suggest you change your evening routine up somehow.

Hi, Im a recovering sweet/sugar addict..I so know what your going through. unfortunately for me, that particular fight is a minute by minute struggle. I finally understand 'Stickin' Thinkin'.

Your only 4 months out, try sugar free pudding. Your brain is visual. Give your pouch a fake sweet, the brain doesn't know sugar free. It just wants to satisfy. Cheat the pouch...lollol..it all takes mastering. soon enough you wont sweets or artificial sweetners. This to shall pass.. :D ..Determination will get you threw this..Look closely at the future you!!!

sorry bad typing...'Soon enough you wont want sweet or artificial sweetners... the cravings get lesser and lesser. I only think about sweets (mainly Reese's Peanut Butter cups) when Im bored. But I know Im just bored, and move on.

sugar free popscicles help me. I like the Popscicle brand tropical fruit flavor. They aren't calorie free, but very low. I do know what your're talking about with the cravings though. My RNY was 10/15/13 and my cravings for carbs, especially bread, and sweets like cake, Cookies, etc. returned three weeks ago with a vengance. I gave in a few times the first week and now I am powering through the urges.

One-and-a-half years ago I went through 6 months of binge eating disorder therapy. Three things I learned that help are: 1) If you ignore an urge to eat due to head hunger it will often disappear in less than 15 minutes; 2) Every time you don't give in to an urge, you reinforce the building of a new nerve pathway response. Eventually, when you get the urge to give into head hunger, the automatic response is to go to a substitute (take a walk, talk to a freind, surf the internet, whatever you choose to do instead of eat); 3) If you do give in to head hunger once, it doesn;t mean you have to give in for the whole day. Don't say "oh, well, I gave in once, might as well trash the whole day." Just begin to eat according to the healthy eating plan after giving in.

A good book to read is "Crave," by a Ph. D.. I think her name is Cynthia something. Amazon sells it. It's not a long book and has great suggestions.

I also have the same issue the Dee describes where more carbs or sugar makes me want even more. You can overcome this one day at a time. It's hard, but if you don't change you won't reach the goal you are striving for. You need to take advantage of the first 6 months after surgery when the weight loss comes easier than after. Come on...let's do this together. Good luck.

Hi everyone. I to am having such strong sweets and chips cravings. It doesn't help that there is so much mini chocolate bars on people's desks at work! And even worse, I've been in a stall for two of my four months. My surgery was September 15. I'm going insane about it, and beyond frustrated. I just want to give up. Backing up my story for you all, I had the sleeve done October 15 of 2012. There were complications. And after a ton of tests, new Endoscopy's CAT scans etc., it was determined I needed to have a revision to bypass. So in one year, or less than one year, I've had two weight-loss surgeries. Although I have lost some weight, too have only lost 15 pounds since the surgery, it ridiculous with weight-loss surgery. It's been four months! So you can see why I just want to throw my hands up in the air and give up. My anxiety is out-of-control, I have given up on exercising. I'm kind of at a loss, I changed my diet up for the dietitian and the surgeon, and increased calories, decreased calories, I can't stop crying these days, this whole thing is been a nightmare, and I just don't know what to do anymore.

Hi, Im a recovering sweet/sugar addict..I so know what your going through. unfortunately for me, that particular fight is a minute by minute struggle. I finally understand 'Stickin' Thinkin'. Your only 4 months out, try sugar free pudding. Your brain is visual. Give your pouch a fake sweet, the brain doesn't know sugar free. It just wants to satisfy. Cheat the pouch...lollol..it all takes mastering. soon enough you wont sweets or artificial sweetners. This to shall pass.. :D ..Determination will get you threw this..Look closely at the future you!!!

I agree with Dee! Try sf pudding. Make it from boxed mix and add a few scoops of Protein Powder to it while whisking. It is so good and loaded w Protein. ( from the milk and protein powder). The best combo I have found is mixing sf instant chocolate ( vanilla works too) pudding mix with 2 scoops Syntrax Matrix mint cookie protein powder.

HI,

Sorry to hear about your struggles. My go to treat has been sugar free popsicles. May I suggest this book: The Weight Loss Surgery Coping Companion: A Practical Guide for Coping with Post-Surgery Emotions, by Dr. Tanie Miller Kabala, and Tracy Lee Rosen. It sounds like you need to work on the emotional aspects of the surgery and this book fits the bill. This is just my humble opinion but I believe that WLS is 10% physical and 90% mental. I wish you the very best in getting over this temporary stall. :)

Thanks everyone. It's very true, it's a hugely emotional problem for me. I got so angry at the grocery store the other day because everything I wanted had too much sugar or fat or calories that I knew would cause dumping so I was angry I couldn't have it. Crazy, I know.

I've just bought the book you mentioned Trevor. Thanks for the suggestion. I think what I'm going thru is relatively normal but double because of the struggles I've had first with the sleeve and then now the bypass. Ultimately, between the 2, I've lost close to 70lbs in 15 months and I should be really happy about that but all I see is what I've had to do to get there...how long it took compared to others...stupid but true...I should be at goal but am not.

It occurred to me that it took 38 years of feeling horrible about myself and that just doesn't go away overnight. 38 years of struggling with my self-esteem and self-image. 15 months doesn't change that.

I have a WONDERFUL surgeon. He isn't the kind where you attend everything and get lots of attention PRE SURGERY but then you don't see much of POST SURGERY. He sees me to monitor not just my health but help with my sanity, and it's been almost every 3 weeks for almost a year. Most patients see him 1 week out then 1 month out then 3 months out, then 6 months then yearly. Not me. Every 3 weeks. Not to mention, he insisted on doing my endoscopy himself when we were trying to figure out what was wrong. He didn't leave me alone out there to deal with the frustrations. Truly, a wonderful guy. Best bedside manner ever. When I wrote him an email thanking him for the amazing support and attention and care that I never thought I'd encounter, he wrote back "you deserve it". Wow

Anyway, thank you for the support. I'm trying get myself to think about what I HAVE accomplished and not what I HAVEN'T accomplished.

Thank u all! Pep talks and knowing this trial has been experienced by others is so emotionally helpful! Love the 1. 2. 3. of binge eating. Makes total sense, crazy how we folks make things so difficult when it doesn't have to be. Also love the idea of sf pudding w Protein powder. Easy treat and serves 2 purposes. Great. I got this. And I can't thank y'all enough for just taking the type to offer words of support.

HW 234

SW 221 10/7/2013

CW 186

**time to offer....