Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My 600 pound life

I was so mad at her. I had to keep reminding myself that she is sick in the head, she need to see a psychologist. She was completely in another world. And to lie to a nutritionist in front of her son, just proves that point.

Too funny!!! I posted about this on a different link earlier and also on Facebook after watching it last night. I was MAD at her. I actually could not believe how strongly it made me feel. I realize she is VERY mentally unstable but geesh....All her crying and whining and blaming everything and everyone else. Not to mention the blatant lies and her excuses!!! Wow, I just wanted to crawl through the TV and SMACK the hell out of her! To be given such a gift ( and yes it was a gift considering they said they borrowed money from family and friends to travel to Texas for the surgery) then to just waste it so horribly. And that cute little boy she has there should be more than enough motivation to help herself. But no, she is a selfish and self absorbed woman. I pray her son is not home the day she dies from her choices.

wow...I was going to watch this, but I think I may skip it now!!!

I think this is a good show to watch as a gastric sleeve patient. It shows we are all human. It actually made me feel better about my journey and my motivation to get healthy. Penny is sick and her husband is her enabler. Not unlike an alocholic or drug addict. When I heard him say, "Do you want me to go get you ice cream?" when she had just been readmitted for not losing weight, I could have just screamed. We all need to find our motivators in life. For some reason Penny's motivation was being sick. I feel sorry for her and I feel so blessed for the gift I was given to be able to get healthy with the help of the sleeve. I hope she doesn't die from her illness but my fear is she will. Not everyone is successful but everyone CAN be and that's what's important. Keep to your routine sleevers! It's worth it!

I saw this last night and I was dumbfounded. WTF, this woman should have been made to follow the 6 month nutrition and weight loss classes almost all of us had to take before surgery was approved. Maybe if she was forced to take the classes and go to a psychologist she would have been better prepared. but anyone who is eating fast food on the way to the hospital should re-think having the surgery.

I feel so bad for all the people who helped her financially, I am also angered that she is on disability and food stamps. All the tax payers are footing the bill for her to stay 600 pounds. I am thankful I saw it though because it shows that it is easy to fall back into past behaviors. I needed to see a failure story to cement in my head this is not a cure all surgery but a tool. She needs her husband to stop enabling her. He needs some therapy as well. It is just a sad story all the way around. I just can't understand how she could physically eat so much right after surgery to not lose any weight. I could hardly eat anything, it was a struggle to just get my fluids in.

My goodness, I agree with many of you, as I was angry at Penny too. BUT... I was angrier at her husband for enabling her.

What others have mentioned needs to be kept in mind; Penny is seriously mentally ill. I question how she passed a psych evaluation for bariatric surgery. As a mental health professional, I see Penny as delusional, an addict and suffering from blatant body dismorphia. In addition, she receives attention for being ill and immobile which is a form of munchausen.

Meanwhile, I am going to use my visceral reaction to this show as motivation. I may not always follow my plan 100% (but I do 90%) but I will always be accountable for my choices. Over the holidays, my daughter (she's 24 so clearly she knows everything) kept saying, "you can't have that". I kept responding to her by saying, " I can choose whether or not to have this". Most of the time I chose not to. But when I do chose to have something that isn't the best choice, I record it in my food log and it counts toward my calories for the day.

Thankfully, most of us do not have her mental health make up. While I am not religious at all, the thought that goes through my mind is: "But for the grace of god go I." How many of us could have gone down this unhealthy road? I am sure many of us are thankful we were able to receive the wake up call that each of us needed to regain our health and control over our eating.

I agree with the Munchhausen theory.

On her FB page she a thinner photo of her face but she still is on oxygen.

Who is paying for the oxygen? We are.

She was plane and simple nuckin futs... That being said I do not understand why it took so many months to get her a nutritionist or why no mention of getting her some mental help. Unless I missed it that was never given to her. She clearly needs it. She will be likely be dead soon if she does not get it.

Her husband should have started telling her if you want food you have to get up and get it....He would have eventually broke her like a wild horse...

I watched it, too. OMG I wanted to scream!! I realize she is sick but WOW. Just wow. All the people she has hurt. (and that husband needs some educating, toO!)

what show was it on and is it possible to still see it ... or should I avoid that mess?

It comes on TLC channel. This particular one was "Penney's Story" and boy was it ever!!

From what I gathered from the show Penny reached out to Dr. N to get the surgery. There was discussion about how he had spoken to her and said he would help her. Now, what we don't know is what kind of counceling or nutritional information was given to her pre op. But it is not an excuse..Why? This woman's world was her bed, she said that. She had a computer. She had all the information right at her finger tips. She chose to stay ignorant because it fed into her dillusion. It is easier to say "I didn't know" than it is to say " I knew, but I chose to ignore". She was inpatient at the hospital for FOUR months, ya think she might have picked up on a thing or two? (Pertaining to diet /exercise) As for her husband....he was a world class enabler. But I don't think it was malicious at all. He truly loved her, it was obvious. You could tell there were times he wanted to yell or tell her she was wrong, but he never did. Seemed apparent she controlled that relationship, even in the bedridden state she was in. The very worst thing IMO was what she was doing to her son. How messed up will he be from all of this? How will he feel when the mother he loves dies young from her choices? So sad.... I totally agree with the post earlier about her suffering from Munchausen. Why else would she agree to be filmed for a national television show knowing full well she wasn't going to be ready to change her life as needed to be succesful? ( not to mention her ridiculous obsession with the oxygen she didn't need). Truly a cautionary tale...