Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Back from Mexico and I am a Banster!!

Andrea, isn't it wonderful to not be able to finish something? You are doing so great!! Now be prepared, that feeling will probably go away as you heal so you will probably start getting hungry before your first fill. However Teresa has never had a fill and lost over 62 pounds!How long are you supposed to stay on liquids, pureed foods, then to solids? Please follow YOUR dr. instructions.

To post your stats: go to top of your screen...to "User CP", then to "Edit Profile", then to "Signature" (after your name, dr. info., band date, etc, next blank line enter: beginning weight/current weight/goal. Then click "Submit Modifications" (at the bottom). Then as your weight changes, you just go in and redo your "current weight".

I'm so proud of you!:)

Welcome to bandland Andrea! I know you are going to love your band as much as I do! Wishing much success but for now... rest and heal!

Darcy

ok kids, I need clarification;

Should we get a fill because a doc says it's time or should we wait until we are no longer losing for several weeks, or no longer feel restricted?

The pt coordinator for the doc I'm using says I should have one 8 weeks after surgery.

Sheena's says 2, I've seen others say 4 or 6, and some who haven't had one at all.

What's the general consensus?

As long as you are losing, you do not need a fill(unless you're white knuckle dieting). Lately, there are some docs that are coming out with 'fill schedules'. This scares me, personally, because I've already seen new patients who only knew they wanted fills (they're such a mystical thing) so they let these docs fill them every 2 weeks only to become totally closed up and in the ER from dehydration and of course it's always on a weekend after their Friday fill. YIKES!

It's very obvious some of these guys have no experience whatsoever, but they're making money on those fills! All is good in their world!

Before my re-banding. I had 3 fills in the period of a year. My second fill was plenty tight enough and I should have never had the 3rd. There is no way on earth that I could have stood a fill every 2 or 3 weeks like I'm hearing some of these people are suggesting. Unless they are putting in only miniscule amounts at a time. ??

The same pt coordinator tells me I should probably only need 2 to 3 fills in a lifetime.

Does that sound logical?

Dr. Billy and I discussed this at my last visit in August. His feeling on fills is as such: He likes to see his patients every 6 weeks. He really likes to see them every 4 weeks but 6 weeks is the upper end. If they have not lost at least 4 lbs or are more hungry in between visits then he suggests a fill. Notice he said SUGGESTS! He never tries to talk me into one. He asks me if I think I need one. We discuss it and then we BOTH decide if I need one. Don't you just love him?

I am an RN. I have worked with all kinds of different doctors in my career. The ones I respect more are the ones that TALK and confer with the patient on their health related issues. Sometimes the doc gets the idea that they are boss and the patient has to follow what is said. If you guys get nothing out my ramblings but this point then I will be happy.

OK Here is the point: "You are the boss!" Doctors and nurses are your advocates for a better health. They give you ways and information to go down that road toward a better health. We as patients have to be better informed and have all the information necessary to make decisions about OUR plan of care. After all we are the ones getting poked and prodded not the docs and nurses. LOL!!

OK I am off my soap box now.

I agree with you Penni. I usually seek out female doctors because they are easier for me to talk to. They also usually don't try to "boss" me. Even in my 20s (the dark ages) I wanted to have control of my own health. Even birthed my children at home. I want a doctor who can diagnose my problem and then talk to me about the options for care.

It doesn't seem like there can be a set schedule to getting fills. You may or may not need one on a certain date, depending on how you're doing. Also, the # of fills, wouldn't that depend on how much saline is put in during each fill? Personally, I prefer to "sneak up" on it. I've had one fill (2 mos. after banding). He put in 1.3, but I felt too full. So I had him back it off to 1.0. I've done fine. I'm going in next week for 2nd fill (7 weeks since 1st fill) :)

PamRN, I went to a seminar last Thursday night that Dr. Jaime Ponce conducted in Dalton, GA. He told us that he would not do the first fill until 6-8 wks after surgery regardless of how hard we begged. He also said that after that initial fill, it would be totally up to the individual weight loss as to how often we would need another fill. He did state that we shouldn't need more than 3-4 fills during the life of our band but he put great emphasis on the fact that it would be determined by the amount of Proteins that we eat and how little liquids and sugars we eat (after the first few wks of liquids of course). Have you met Dr. Ponce yet? He's a great guy! I can't wait to have him band me.....

Originally posted by sheeanisland

leatha_g you had to get rebanded? Do you mind me asking what from? That is like my biggest fear. But I guess it happens....

Yes. I was recently rebanded due to slippage/pouch dilation and had a hiatal hernia repaired. There was some speculation I had no pouch dilation at all but my band had slipped. There is also speculation that the hiatal hernia had something to do with it. I wouldn't borrow trouble. You've just been banded. I say ride the wave for as long as you can without worrying yourself over nothing. Issues do happen with the band, but comparatively, they are all pretty minor.