Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

mine wouldn't Bc it raises your heart rate in many patients.

Thanks everyone, I was put on phentermine for a medically supervised diet 2 years ago. I lost almost 60 lbs. The diet was similar to some of the pre-ops, 1-2 shakes., high Protein low carbs, the weight was coming off and I felt really great. I thought I could persevere on my own and ended up gaining back 80 lbs. I actually take solace in seeing the pre-op success stories, recognizing the eating plan that worked for me during that time. I think I can learn from you guys and be able to do it on my own when it comes to my time. I look forward to the sleeve being a tool I can use to lose weight and keep it off.

I am selfpay, wrapping up my surgeon selection in February and hoping to schedule in March...

I am starting the pre-op diet today as my surgery will be taking place on Jan 31st.

It is very interesting to read all your stories, as I can closely relate to them.

I have prepared myself by learning to enjoy the Protein shakes and have incorporated them as a Meal Replacement for the last couple of weeks prior to the liquid-only diet that starts today.

SnohoGal98296, your experience with the phentermine is very similar to mine. I had lost almost 40 pounds while on it over a period of 6 months, in conjunction with very healthy eating and 4x crossfit workouts... only to end up regaining the 40 lbs and an extra 25 when I became resistant to it.

I wish the best of success to all on this journey!

Carlos

Sending warm thoughts your way Carlos! Go get ' em and keep up the good fight!

I am starting the pre-op diet today as my surgery will be taking place on Jan 31st. It is very interesting to read all your stories, as I can closely relate to them. I have prepared myself by learning to enjoy the Protein Shakes and have incorporated them as a Meal Replacement for the last couple of weeks prior to the liquid-only diet that starts today. SnohoGal98296, your experience with the phentermine is very similar to mine. I had lost almost 40 pounds while on it over a period of 6 months, in conjunction with very healthy eating and 4x crossfit workouts... only to end up regaining the 40 lbs and an extra 25 when I became resistant to it. I wish the best of success to all on this journey! Carlos

You got this buddy. We're here cheering you on :)

Hi all!

I'm Pat, am new here, and I too am going through the process of becoming a sleever! I had my first appointment with the surgeon a week ago today, and all my stuff's been sent to insurance for approval. Hoping I will have said approval in another week or so tops, and surgery another couple weeks after, putting my potential surgery date at the beginning/middle of February.

I weighed in at 377 and have a pretty big midsection (being 5'9", I am sure you can imagine...), so the doctor actually put me on an immediate 1,200 calorie per day restriction which began last Friday, with 3 protien shakes and 2 small meals (protiens and greens) per day. I've adjusted really well despite a very mentally rough 2nd and 3rd day and have actually dropped 22 pounds in this time. It's gotten easier, and on day 7 I can say it feels like my brain is starting to adjust to what my body had already settled into.

It's a real encouraging ego boost to be sure, but my question is: has anyone else had to do something similar before they even got their surgery date? I read many stories of people doing the 2-week liquid diet once they get their approval and surgery date, but wondered if anyone else has a story similar to mine and how they fared/dealt with things?

I look forward to connecting with you all and wish you all the best in your respective journeys, wherever you might be!

Cheers,

~Pat Welcome Truck, Can you tell me what is in your Protein shake in the Morning. I'm starting my two week liquids on tues.. trying to get some different ideas... to see if I like one more than the other... being I have to drink it for two weeks.... GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND..Jewelj

Hi Pat,

My surgeon put me on the exact same restriction and I lost 12 lbs then I went back to my surgeon after having done all my pre op testing and got a surgery date. Now I'm on my first day of a 2 week liquid diet with my surgery date of 2-3-14

Welcome Truck, Can you tell me what is in your Protein shake in the Morning. I'm starting my two week liquids on tues.. trying to get some different ideas... to see if I like one more than the other... being I have to drink it for two weeks.... GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND..Jewelj

Thanks Jewel! I am using the EAS whey Protien powder. You can find it at Target. I mix it with 12oz of Water and blend it in my NutriBullet (those things rock, by the way, if you don't own one you should consider it). It whips it up a little bit and makes it lighter and air-ier... like a shake! And I do enjoy the taste of it as-is, I know most don't but I'm fortunate where it doesn't gross me out at all.

May I ask if any of your Doctors prescribed phentermine or similiar to help you with hunger on your preop diets?

Please accept my apologies and excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard of phentermine...is this a type of appetite suppression medication? Anyway, my nutritionist never mentioned anything about it...just said to try and count on willpower. And for this reason, she was very much against an all-liquid pre-op diet. She thought it was a bit cruel to put someone on a post-op type diet when you still have a pre-op body. I'm on week 2, which allows Protein shakes for Breakfast and lunch, and a very limited low-carb, high Fiber and Protein dinner, with 64oz of liquids in between. Snacks are allowed, but all must be sugar-free (and pretty much calorie-free!!).

Please accept my apologies and excuse my ignorance, but I have never heard of phentermine...is this a type of appetite suppression medication?

Hi BryBro63,

Yes, Phentermine is a common appetite suppressant - I was prescribed this medication while on a medically supervised diet about two years ago. It worked great, I lost 60 lbs, but when I went off the medication (as they don't want you on it forever or some folks develop a tolerance to it, like c4l describes above) I gained back the 60 and put on another 20-30 lbs. I have my initial consults this week and I was wondering if for the pre-op diets, of which some are severe if a prescription was provided, so far the consensus is No. Just like your nut mentioned - so of these diets are pretty tough. I like what Truck said though - the peer pressure of the Surgeon reviewing your progress is enough to keep you on the diet :-D

Edited by SnohoGal98296

Welcome Truck, Can you tell me what is in your Protein shake in the Morning. I'm starting my two week Liquids on tues.. trying to get some different ideas... to see if I like one more than the other... being I have to drink it for two weeks.... GOOD LUCK MY FRIEND..Jewelj

Thanks Jewel! I am using the EAS whey Protien powder. You can find it at Target. I mix it with 12oz of Water and blend it in my NutriBullet (those things rock, by the way, if you don't own one you should consider it). It whips it up a little bit and makes it lighter and air-ier... like a shake! And I do enjoy the taste of it as-is, I know most don't but I'm fortunate where it doesn't gross me out at all.

Hey TRUCK, how is it going for you? My Date is getting close. I'm starting my LIQUIDS tomorrow.. My surgery is Feb 4th.. can't believe it..

I did want to get back to you and tell you that I have a NINJA ... which is the same as yours..just a different name...i'm sure....I did get Protein Powder from GNC, called LEAN SHAKE... in Choc/ peanutbutter..GNC BRAND..... I did want to tell you to look into a web site called

Drinkclick.com.... IT HAS SOME Protein drinks that look good.. just in case you would like to have some change.. CHANGE IS good.. so we don't get board with what we are doing. My doc office gave me some good ideas getting the liquids in.. "like surgar free carnation instant breakfast... mixing it with a banana ... and adding some Protein powder....also adding Flax seed is good....gotta keep that energy up...

Good Luck my Friend JEWELJ

Hi Pat,

My surgeon put me on the exact same restriction and I lost 12 lbs then I went back to my surgeon after having done all my pre op testing and got a surgery date. Now I'm on my first day of a 2 week liquid diet with my surgery date of 2-3-14

Hi! Zoumommy.. today was your first of LIQUIDS? so what did you have all day...if you don't mind me asking.. I start tomorrow... How was the first day....??? My Surgery is Feb 4th.. the day after yours.. Good Luck my Friend...JewelJ

Hey Jewelj!!

How are you making out with the liquids?

It's so funny to me that it seems every surgeon's practice has a different variation on the pre-op diet! My pre-op diet is: Four Protein shakes per day (either Myoplex Light, Ketogenix, Ensure High Protein or Slim Fast High Protein) and raw veggies (no dips, dressings, etc.) No limit on the raw veggies.

I am not even pre-op yet but I went to the office to start the iMetabolic Physician Assisted Weight Loss which is 3 two scoop shake meals, 3 1 scoop Snacks and lots of Water. My first shake was terrible. I hope it grows on me fast because the sooner I lose weight the sooner my surgery will be scheduled.