Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

That was quick.....

Well, I'm back. Kinda surreal how quick it was over and I'm back home. Had to have a hietal hernia and a umbilical hernia repaired as well. The surgeon said the belly button one would probably hurt the most afterwards. It does. Was in the hospital for two nights, three days. Clears while in lockup and advanced to full liquids coming home. The hospital was the best I'd ever been to. Everyone was great and things couldn't have gone more smoothly. I had no luck with the gas though, and everyone here was dead on right about gas discomfort. I was only able to eliminate a significant amount just a little while ago. How do you spell relief???? G-A-S release.....!!!

I also blew it on that first gulp....yeah, I said gulp of Water after the op. I have now engraved "SIP" in my brain. Been sipping non-stop ever since. Well, just want to follow up.....Not much pain, things seem to be moving along pretty good. Just trying to follow the mantra I gathered here.

Can't wait to start scoring some points on the loser's bench.

Going in in 2 days, thanks for the report....

I also blew it on that first gulp....yeah, I said gulp of Water after the op. I have now engraved "SIP" in my brain. Been sipping non-stop ever since.

I have been using a Camelbak bottle to drink. I call it my adult sippy cup! It works great on limiting your amount of Water you take in. I was a gulper before surgery and I am only 2 weeks out so I am still using it for training purposes.

Good Luck!!!

Congrats on it going so well for you! Keep up the good work!

What happened after you "gulped"?

What happened after you "gulped"?

Very sharp long lasting pain in my abdomen. Took a good five minutes to subside. Switched to sipping and allowing time interval and all was well from then on.

Very sharp long lasting pain in my abdomen. Took a good five minutes to subside. Switched to sipping and allowing time interval and all was well from then on.

I'm 2 days postop. Also had hiatal and umbilical hernias corrected. The umbilical hernia has caused the most pain, although the gas has been hurting as well. Did anyone have back pain? I think it's just from laying on my back since the surgery, but my back is really sore!

Sounds like you and I pretty much have had the same experience. No back pain though, but I did a lot of walking.

I have been walking since the first day. Standing up to urinate etc. my back muscles are just really sore. May just be the way I've been sleeping. My docs orders are for 1 ounce per hour of Clear Liquids for the first week! Then 2 ounces liquid diet for week two...anybody else's different?

My docs orders are for 1 ounce per hour of clear liquids for the first week! Then 2 ounces liquid diet for week two...anybody else's different?

Well, I was on unlimited clears for the couple of days in the hospital. Then full liquids for the next two weeks. In the last couple of days, I have managed to get in about 80 grams of Protein and 75 or so ounces of liquids. I just take it in small sips. Basically, I figure it just goes straight thru. Urine is barely tinted yellow, so I'm stayin hydrated pretty good.

I think you might have misunderstood your doc. 1 ounce an hour sounds grossly inadequate. You could easily end up dehydrated. I would suggest double check those figures.

Edited by Recycled

Yep...it says one ounce at a time, but as much Fluid as u can drink without hurting

My op is tomorrow, i am allowed to no limit Water or ice chip. hope i dont have any complications.

My op is tomorrow, i am allowed to no limit Water or ice chip. hope i dont have any complications.

How'd it go?