Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Alberta girl question: Why go to Mexico?

I went to Tijuana dt filipe

I am in BC and waited about 18 months before getting my call in January to start the program at Garrat. I will be going for my first surgeon consult with dr. Sampath at the end of July. They have been very thorough and I have had everything from bloodwork to sleep apnea testing done. I just had my 2nd appt. With physical activity counsellor today and have had 3 nutritionist appointments so far. I feel that they are really making sure I am ready for this before I get this done. Looking forward to the day I get my surgery date!!

I made the decision, paid my deposit, picked a day. Including my research and decision process, this took 5 days. My surgery date was scheduled for less than a month from my deposit being paid. Poof! Decision: surgery: done!

I am still pre-op.

Edited by BarnGirlWK

Congradulations!!!!

Yea, thanks I can write mine off as well (great little peice of info).. Mexico surgery is not expensive, I decided four months ago I was going to do this (wish I'd have gone sooner) and called and booked an appointment with a fantastic surgeon asap and it cost $4,400. To me that's NOT expensive, waiting 2-4 years for someone to tell me what I need to do with my body costs way to much the Canadian way. I'm off to TJ next month for the sleeve and really wish I would have given this gift to myself last Christmas (I live in Calgary)

Edited by Cody's mom

Barngirl, did you go yet, I'm going with Dr. E Ortiz next month!

Barn Girl, when are you going, I'm going the 13 of Sept, Dr. E. Ortiz - $4,400 (plus airfair with westjet, hospital and hotel included) (shopping not included).

Edited by Cody's mom

Hi Cody's mom. I leave Calgary on Saturday, surgery on Sunday. Dr. Elias Ortiz via A Lighter Me for $4,400 US. Yes, WestJet flight is extra. Yes, hospital and hotel are included.

This all happened very fast for me. Booked and paid deposit on July 29 and Surgery Aug 24, less than a month total!

I find myself stressing out a little today, for some reason. All good, though.

@@Juba and @@Cody's mom: may I ask how you claim the surgery expenses on your income tax return?

Thanks.

It's a medical expense, most medical expenses are deductable (this will be forsure), all of it should be, including your flight.. Please keep me posted on how it's going, if I'd met you sooner I would have gone with you, but please, I need a play by play.. Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

I was actually told that there was a 5 year wait in alberta and I wouldn't qualify because I wasn't obese enough. I want/need to lose 80lbs. I went to Mexico with ALM and have not looked back. My $4400 could not have been better spent and I really happy with my decision. My doctor like Juba was super supportive and got all the info to tell his other patients that were in the same boat as me. I wanted to get my surgery done as by next year I want to have breast reconstruction after having had cancer. I'm not willing to wait any longer to move on with my life. 5 years is a very long time when you are ready. I'm really happy for everyone who gets the operation covered by AB health care but sadly I wouldn't have been one of them. In the end those of us that go to Mexico have our minds made up that we are not waiting to move on with our lives. I know I am thrilled with my decision.

Hollym 123: I feel the same way, I don't need someone to tell me what I already know and then have to beg for the treatment that will enhance my life. I don't want to gain more weight so I could be what they think I should be to have the surgery. Everyday lost is too long. I want to live again, not hide from everyone. How many weddings, funerals and special events do I need to miss and how long do I need to hide before I'm worthy of having this surgery in the eyes of Alberta Healthcare! No thanks I'm a better judge than they of what I need for my health and there are no hoops to jump threw.. And not sure but in my eye's $4,400 is not a lot compared to what I've missed and will miss if I wait for them, and beleive me, myself esteem can't handle gaining more weight so I'm a good candidate in their eyes. I'm a great candidate in mine, so off to Mexico I go, I wish I would have done this long ago.

So glad to see these posts! Last night while I was falling asleep I had convinced myself that I could do this on my own.

I have failed every diet I have ever been I and honestly I have spent well over the $4400.00 cost of my surgery in weight loss program and supplements.

I know i don't carry as much weight as others but my struggle is the same.

My knees are swollen and painful, bending over to pick something off the floor is tough, I have a difficult time doing my toenails, I snore horribly, sleep is difficult at times.

I'm tired of feeling tired. I'm pretty healthy otherwise but know If I don't arrest this weight problem I will soon start to suffer worse!

My last reason I want to lose weight is really vain but honestly, I want to feel sexy again! My self esteem is really low right now and though he doesn't say anything, I'm sure he's wondering if I'll ever want sex again!

Start my pre op Aug 21st. I'm already doing most of it except still enjoying a glass of wine. That goes in a few days:( lord give me strength!

Shastasmom: Who is your surgeon? I'll be going down on the 13th of September to have mine done as well. Good luck!

Shastasmom: Who is your surgeon? I'll be going down on the 13th of September to have mine done as well. Good luck!

I'm going to ALM on Sept 4th. Dr E Ortiz. Used air miles to fly to San Diego on sept 3rd. Just getting really nervous!