Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

what makes someone looks unhealthy after WLS?

My family is making me nervous. .they keep telling me I'm not big enough for WLS.that I will get to skinny. .they are concern why my doc world allow me to have wls..I currently weight 235lb, 5'4..we have a family friend that had VSG 2012.. she's realllly starting to look scary unhealthy, and my mom & sis..keeps telling me. They hope I take her example seriously. .getting nervous :-(

I was of that opinion, too (search the word 'controversial' in the forum topics and it might come up) - that not all people 'look better' after weight loss surgery. It inspired great debate about whether it is better to be 300lbs and unhealthy, or really skinny and 'healthy'. I guess its a personal choice and finding that 'happy medium' for you.

I do think people can go too far.

I do think it has a lot to do with finding the right balance of calories - fats, Proteins, carbs and knowing went to stop losing and just maintain.

Despite all this, I read a lot on here, I found my 'truth' and I still had the surgery. I think I'm doing okay.

I am 5ft 10, I was 250lbs at the start. I've lost 46lbs. My BMI was 35.9 or something and I started to show signs of serious long term health problems that I wanted to 'nip in the bud' - so I did.

Only you can make this choice, my dear. All I can say is read and read and read, until you're confident in your own decision making. There's a lot of experience on this site - do your own analysis and let it guide you to what is right for you.

Best of luck :)

LL, nope, you look fabulous... Not sure where the last 15lbs are going to come from.... ;-)

I don't look unhealthy. I look f'n hot! LOL

I think it has to do with balancing your diet, being active, and just generally taking care of your body & mind. :)

LL, nope, you look fabulous... Not sure where the last 15lbs are going to come from.... ;-)

I was 15 pounds heavier there than I am now. The dress is a good cut. :D

I am just into size 10s and I bought a pair of size 8 Seven Jeans. They are too tight but will fit soon. I have plenty of meat on my bones, trust me.

Edited by LipstickLady

I'm 5'3". Do I look unhealthy yet? :D

You look fantastic!

I was 15 pounds heavier there than I am now. The dress is a good cut. :D

I am just into size 10s and I bought a pair of size 8 Seven Jeans. They are too tight but will fit soon. I have plenty of meat on my bones, trust me.

Feck - you were 15lbs heavier then than now??? Well, you looked great then, must be looking amazing now. Love that dress...

I looked unhealthy to my family for a short period. All the weight came off my face, my hair thinned and people were just not used to seeing me at a normal BMI. I am 5'6" and weighed 254 in heavy clothes when approved for surgery. I weighed 222 the day before surgery, 4 months later. My feeling is that after rapid weight loss, it takes a while for everything to settle its place. They still comment about my size, but I don't are. I feel heathy and good and I'm squarely in the middle of the normal BMI for my height.

Lynda

It seems what Isereno said is the rule. Fat comes off different places at different rates. Fat comes off of the face quickly with some people giving them a drastic change. In my case the belly was the last to go. Most folks are saying the "sickly" look goes away after fat rebounds a bit and things even out.

LL, you do look unhealthy...unhealthy for me if my wife catches me looking at your picture too much. :o :D

I'm 5'3" and I've lost 62 pounds in just over 6 months. Only the first 30 pounds were "easy". I'm going to have to work even harder for the last 20. I'm not yet in the "heathy" BMI range and I don't think I'm in any danger of losing too much. I started at 212. I do think I look a little bit older (or maybe just closer to my actual age). I have a before and after pic in my gallery, I think. :-)

@lipsticklady you look amazing!!! My surgery is Tuesday 1/7 I am excited but very nervous at the same time,

attachicon.gif12.13beforeafter.jpg

I'm 5'3". Do I look unhealthy yet? :D