Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What will you be leaving behind in 2013?

I will leave behind:

Shame, a poor attitude, negative self-talk, and hopelessness. I will leave behind all of the tears because of my weight, and all of the doubt I had about myself in being able to conquer my weight. I will leave behind the idea that I am not worthy of reaching and surpassing my goals.

I'm only 2 weeks post op but so far i'll be leaving behind 31 pounds! :)

31 lbs in two weeks is amazing! Congrats!

I will leave behind: Shame, a poor attitude, negative self-talk, and hopelessness. I will leave behind all of the tears because of my weight, and all of the doubt I had about myself in being able to conquer my weight. I will leave behind the idea that I am not worthy of reaching and surpassing my goals.

Ah I had forgotten about hopelessness. I hate to think like that, but you are correct, I had feelings of utter helplessness and hopelessness that I would ever overcome my weight struggles.

I will leave the thought of being obese and unhealthy behind in 2013. I have no reason, no excuse, not to be the healthiest I can.

I leave behind arthritic knees that I can barely walk on. I no longer take medication of any kind for them, and I can wear heels again.

I leave behind (God willing) the circulatory problems that have lead to repeated DVTs /PEs. Everything that can be done (including getting the weight of) is being done. I do not want to be a statistic and die from it.

I leave behind the notion I have it all in control with my sleeve. I learned over the holidays there is NO doubt, I am addicted to carbs. I now know what a slippery path it can be if I allow myself to "go there". I can't. I do not have the control.

I leave behind 63lbs that hurt me, held me down. I was allowing fat to kill me a little each day. I lived like an woman much older than my years. I don't ever want that body again, one that limited each and every aspect of my life.

I left behind my hair in 2013. It is something that is kind of hard for me to this day, but it is what it is. I am wearing a wig now that I really like and get tons of compliments.

Now...in 2014 I hope to find me. I hope to reach my goals, with the sleeve and in life. I want to be healthy, I want to feel young again. I want to be the best mom I can for my daughter. Yes, I even have hope for maybe finding love. ( Ok- been single a looooong time! lol) But I hope to find love for myself before I love another. I am working on it all. Because long as I am here there is hope!

Thanks for this thought provoking thread.

I am leaving behind:

35% of my body weight

obesity

sleep apnea

high cholesterol

lane bryant

feelings of unattractiveness

inability to jog

inability to wear a bathing suit

These popped into my mind I'm sure there are tons more.

I leave behind the notion I have it all in control with my sleeve. I learned over the holidays there is NO doubt, I am addicted to carbs. I now know what a slippery path it can be if I allow myself to "go there". I can't. I do not have the control.

I loved your whole list and btw, I agree, your wig ROCKS! But I wanted to talk about the carb addiction thing. What we're discovering is that my husband replaced his real sugar addiction with a fake sugar addiction. Popsicles, sugar free pudding, sugar free shakes...and his weight loss stalled. In fact, he's put on 2 lbs in the last week which is highly unusual for him.

I suggested he go cold turkey and he's trying that today. So just be careful with substituting fake sugar and thinking you're better off. We learned this lesson the hard way. May not be an issue for you, but thought I'd share just in case.

Noor1969, we have a couple of things in common! I'm also 44, had turned to food for comfort for various reasons over the years... Lots of bullying as a child & the weight came on consistently. The last forty or so came on as I dealt with the pain of caring for my mom as she fought pancreatic cancer and lost. I think that sometimes the things that involve major change in our lives can sometimes be the scariest.... and the decisions we make as a result of these difficult situations can also be the best things for us. Stress, pain, and emotional eating got me to 287 pounds and decided that enough was enough. I was scared to go under the knife after having had a surgery go really wrong before, but just over 10 weeks after getting sleeved, I am SO happy that I chose to go through with it! I've lost 50 pounds, and I'm feeling good. I can eat most of the things that I used to enjoy, just much less of them. I no longer have trouble with stairs and because I'm no longer a carb addict, I don't have issues with blood sugar like I used to. I still enjoy food, just much less of it... I'm making better decisions around food in general and holding myself accountable versus binging. I still need to lose 90 pounds or so but now I know it's REALLY possible this time and I won't spend the rest of my life in a vicious losing and gaining cycle... 2014 is the year! Best decision ever!!!

In 2014, I am hoping to leave behind...

Self consciousness and doubt, physical and emotional pain, inactivity and complacency. Definitely want to shed this weight that I've been carrying around for decades.

In favor of...

Self confidence, and a more healthy body and spirit. I hope that with my improved health I will more actively engage in life again!!!

Best wishes for a happier and healthier 2014!!!!

Edited by LBD