Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Am I just paranoid?

Hi everyone - Have't been on here for years, but looking for advice. I have been banded 5.5 years and have had good success with my Realize band. I lost 135 pounds, and over the 5 years have gained about 15 back..which I am ok with.

My concern is that I have always worried in the back of my mind that something was going to go wrong with the band after a few years. I have read and heard other people in the dr. office complaining about complications and having to get bands removed. I read about erosions, slippage, etc. To be honest it freaks me out. It seems like the odds are not good to have a band that never has problems. But really, that is what I have had. I had some issues in the beginning finding just the right fill level, but after that first year everything was pretty good. To be completely honest though, I have always had reservations about putting a foreign object in my body and it's long-tem effects.

What prompted me to post here is that over the past week I have been having some pain in my stomache that feels like a constant ache. I have ruled out constipation/gas, hunger, etc. I am still able to eat normal amounts, and have not been vomitting. But, I just have this uneasy feeling that something is wrong.

I made an appointment with my surgeon/doctor for this Friday, but I don't know exactly what I am going to tell her other than, "something doesn't feel right". I was reading through the "complication" boards to see if anyone else mentioned a constant stomache ache, but didn't really find that. Seeing all the posts about other complications did concern me though.

Now I don't know if I am being hyper-sensitive and anxious when there really is nothing to be worried about, or if I should trust my gut feeling that something isn't right?

I feel like I have always had a pretty good relationship with my band and know how to use it as the tool it is meant to be. Sure, I know how to cheat it, but I think everyone figures that out pretty quick.

I guess what I want to ask are these:

1. Has anyone else had a constant stomache ache?

2. Do other veterans have fears that something is going to eventually go wrong with the band?

Thank you!

1. No constant ache.

2. Irrational fear yes.

Ditto!

I have asked for an x-ray before, just because "something didn't feel right", it's not an unusual request. I feel it is best to check out your concerns and ease your mind.

Good luck to you.

Pongomp,

Please come back and let us know how you are doing and what your doctor had to say.

No ache

Fear of erosion and removal yes.

I must say this though. If your band erodes it is done over time and not all at once. Once it gets through to the inside of the stomach you will have maybe a slight amount of food entering your peritoneal cavity. As the band becomes more eroded and more food and fluids escape into the peritoneal cavity you would become deathly sick as this causes sepsis or infection throughout your body. I would say not to worry about it until you see the doctor but I would tell them that you are concerned about erosion and could they do an endoscopy just to make sure it is okay.

Edited by cheryl2586

I don't think you're being paranoid. If you haven't experienced this type of ongoing pain before, then it's certainly something to ask your doctor about.

I have been having the same problem; a constant stomach ache. It started a couple of weeks ago; some days better than others. I am also concerned about possible complications, and will discuss it with my surgeon next month. For me, this pain isn't something new, though. I had bouts of it pre-band, and I think it was stress and too much stomach acid. Knowing that, I went back on Prilosec a couple of days ago. And to be completely honest, during the holidays, I've pushed my stomach capacity to the limits. No weight gain, but giving into some old habits. My paranoia about this pain is because of that.

As banded people, we do need to pay attention to symptoms of possible issues. Knowing how neurotic I can be, I paid very close attention to all of my gastric pains & other issues before surgery. I made mental notes so I wouldn't freak out that it was surgery related, afterward. Even so, I will rest easier when I address this current issue with my doctor. Our minds can really do a number on us :wacko:

always side with caution. you are doing absolutly what you should be doing. seeing your doctor. hopefully it will just ease your mind. good luck and hope you feel better soon

I have been "paranoid" since the day I had it fitted, that is the reason I joined this group, I have been experienceing some changes recently and I am looking for some comfort. Good luck.

My personal impression is, that as a Formerly Morbidly Obese person, much of my anxieties surrounded a wide range of Life Issues were based on 'SOME kind of paranoia'.....about things that never actually happened.

Yes, I've had a number of exams/xrays based on those anxieties.

Now in my 10th year PostBand, I don't have those feelings of dread and impending disaster.

Good luck on your exam findings.

Edited by Jack

Thanks for all of your comments and advice! Unfortunately due to the weather, my appointment got moved to this coming Tuesday. So, we will see what the doc says.