Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm Having a hard time sticking to my diet, advice please!

I'm 3 months post-op and I'm pretty sure I'm eating WAY more than I am supposed to be, but how do I control it. I've heard you can stretch your pouch out.. I'm scared that is what I have done already. I never understood the whole "dietary guidelines" what to eat and what not to eat. I FEEL My doctors office pretty much left me out on my own, they gave me a food list for 7 wks, since then I've been on my own, and failing!!! I don't get sick like some, I eat candy, Cookies, basically whatever I want! I drink 5 bottles of Water a day. Just bummed, pretty much feel like I ruined it for myself and its only been 3 months. :(

Also, I have never thrown up or felt like throwing up from eating too much.

You need to follow your doctor's plan. Cookies are a no no. Sugar is a no no. You have a choice. You had this surgery. The tool wont work if you don't choose to follow the rules.

Edited by slowtogo

How do you track what you eat? You can create a profile for free on MyFitnessPal to track your food and exercise. I used to use that before I bought my Fitbit 4 months ago. I now track everything there. Everything I eat or drink is recorded and the website calculates my calorie intake and expenditure. I make sure to keep calories in below calories out. It also tracks your Protein intake. Take a look at my Fitbit profile with the link in my signature. It's just another tool to help keep you accountable. I love it!

I just started using myfitnesspal again. I don't know how many calories I am supposed to take in, and I feel hungry all the time, so I snack ugh! By as much as I eat It seems like I never even had the surgery :( have you ever heard of ppl starting their post- op diet over? I just have no self control. My husband is 6ft 2 and 145lbs so he has no clue about how I feel. Just feel alone. Regret even having RNY sometimes.

I would contact your doctor and also a dietician, together you can determine what your calorie intake should be. Record everything you eat and when. That way they can determine where you need to make changes. Where I had mine done they have a dietician on staff and we are encouraged to contact her with any questions.

Some knowledge share:

1) General caloric intake the first year post op is 800-1200 calories. Different surgeons suggest slightly different ranges, but this is generally where they all meet.

2) Protein intake is suggested to be usually at 60-80+ grams per day.

3) Carbs, mixed messages on this. My nutritionist told me if I am meeting my Protein and calorie guidelines, not to worry about them. They also said if I chose to not eat them they see a lot of success with that.

4) You may not be actually hungry. You may have head hunger or jist be eating out of habit. When you're hungry, try to stop for a few minutes and think about why you're hungry. Are you bored? Are you dealing with some emotional stuff? Have some Water while you think.

5) Try as much as possible to stay physically active. Even just walking, cleaning, visiting friends or family, pacing and deep thinking lol. Just keep moving.

6) It is never too late to start fresh! Yes, if you find yourself straying and losing track of your goals, you can certainly go back to that post op 2-3 week liquids diet. My nutritionist and surgeon both recommend this technique to get back on track.

Good luck and don't fret. Worrying will probably just make you hungry lol. If you're feeling bad about your food choices, go for a walk and take time to reenergize and recommit to your goals. If you have a cookie today, don't have one tomorrow. Bonus tip: Sweet cravings I have found lactose free milk (since it is sweeter) gets me through. Or at least go sugar free if you have just got to have a sweet.

Oh, and my surgeon gave me some great resources for dietary guidelines, meals, etc. I am happy to share them with you if you'd like.

Oh, and my surgeon gave me some great resources for dietary guidelines, meals, etc. I am happy to share them with you if you'd like.

Yes! I think any resources at this point will help, I don't want it to be "all for nothing" my surgeon works out of 2 offices one near me and one about an hour away. So, the nutritionist are barely in my local office, they have an hour long group meeting once a month that I cab never make it to, because of the kids sports schedule, I'm glad I found this app. On my kindle Thank you!!

Hi would you mind sharing them with me as well? If so I can pm u my email. Thanks!

Hi would you mind sharing them with me as well? If so I can pm u my email. Thanks!

Yup, I will totally share. They are all in hard copy printed form right now so I have to get them to digital. Please feel free to PM me. Perhaps I can take pictures and that will work tomorrow.

I am sorry you're experiencing this hard time. My biggest fear is "failing". I'm 11 months out from RNY and down 136 lbs. I know this wasn't a decision any of us made overnight so change will take a long time. Work at it every day. So, one day at a time, one hour, or one minute. Whatever you need to do. Google the world according to eggface. This blog has been invaluable to me on so many levels. Also are you attending support groups? If you can I also suggest checking in with your dietitian. I've done so several times and go back again soon. I'm obsessed with my FitBit and myfitnesspal. And I've been reading books by others who had WLS. Helps to see we aren't alone! I wish you all the best. This is one tough journey but one I would choose again in a second.

Yup, I will totally share. They are all in hard copy printed form right now so I have to get them to digital. Please feel free to PM me. Perhaps I can take pictures and that will work tomorrow.

Did you get my pm? If not here is my email nettieemail@yahoo.caThanks again!

How do you track what you eat? You can create a profile for free on MyFitnessPal to track your food and exercise. I used to use that before I bought my Fitbit 4 months ago. I now track everything there. Everything I eat or drink is recorded and the website calculates my calorie intake and expenditure. I make sure to keep calories in below calories out. It also tracks your Protein intake. Take a look at my Fitbit profile with the link in my signature. It's just another tool to help keep you accountable. I love it!

I use myfitnesspal also, but I am unsure of the amount of calories we are "supposed" to ingest. So I haven't used it lately. I have been using this app on my kindle that list meals under 500 calories and I measure out half the portion size it lists. but now I have been stuck at the same weight for a month. I don't know where to go from here. :( How do I go about finding a support group in my area? The one my Doctor provides is once a month and it's a night I can't make it.

I still have my MyFitnessPal profile but I haven't logged into it in a while so I'm not sure how it works. On Fitbit, in my profile I set my starting weight and goal weight. Then select how aggressive I want to be to reach my goal. I chose "Kinda Hard" which cut 750 calories a day, which translates to about 1.5 pounds per week. Fitbit tracks my steps and uses my height/weight profile to determine how many calories I burn per day, it figures what I burn just by being alive too :) It also has a setting to change my calorie allowance daily based on my activity from the previous day. Check MyFitnessPal to see if you can set a plan to reach your goal weight. To lose weight you need to take in less calories than you burn, at least 500 for about a pound a week. But I do also try to eat a Paleo diet, cutting out all sugar and grains. I mainly eat fruits, veggies and meat. Good luck. Hope this helps you!

I use myfitnesspal also, but I am unsure of the amount of calories we are "supposed" to ingest. So I haven't used it lately. I have been using this app on my kindle that list meals under 500 calories and I measure out half the portion size it lists. but now I have been stuck at the same weight for a month. I don't know where to go from here. :( How do I go about finding a support group in my area? The one my Doctor provides is once a month and it's a night I can't make it.