Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January-February 2014 pullup challenge

So it begins. Good luck everyone on improving your pull-ups and report back often. :)

Starting this morning.

I don't know what happened. I got into my work out and totally skipped pull ups. Was a GREAT work out though.

I don't know what happened. I got into my work out and totally skipped pull ups. Was a GREAT work out though.

no worries, we have at least a month on this one. I am guessing two months.

My workout today had 45 chest to bar pull-ups in it broken up into sets of 15. These are tricky because it is really important to hold head in neutral position to prevent torque on the shoulders due to unwanted rotation and it is also important to keep body in hollow position the be efficient at the up and down cycle when kipping them. I got through the first set of doing chest to bar and then switched to normal kipping pull-up for seconds set. On third set, I was having trouble getting my chin up because of fatigue so switched to ring rows. With each set up 15 pull-ups, I also back squat 155#. So, it was an ok workout. It would have been better if I didn't fatigue on the chest to bar and have to modify. I liked being able to get through the back squats in between the pull-ups and not running out of gas.

That cross fit is incredible. I can't afford that at this time so my work outs are very cross fit

Oriented. Similar exercises with minimal rest and multi sets. I took today off. I realized I hadn't had a day off in about 5 days and muscles are sore.

How has this challenge been going for folks? I have not been making as much progress as I would like, about 2 days a week I try and do some pull-ups. If they are not prescribed as part of a workout, I fit them in before (too tired afterwards). Sadly, I am still at about the same progress: 6 unbroken pull-ups. I would like to get over 10 soon (in 2 weeks) and have my eye on 20 after that. Practice, practice, practice!

Those doing the pull up challenge may find the following video on pull up mechanics useful:

I did a lot of pull ups today. 100 of them in sets of 10.

What helped me prepare and get better at them is watching a 2 part video on you tube called " pull up virtuosity" in addition to the video I posted above. It clicked for me. Getting the kip right requires careful balance of tension in the body and the "power" comes from the transfer of energy when switching from "arch" form to "hollow body" form and then pulling at the precise moment when the transfer of power occurs. So this made my pull ups match easier today. It is also important to keep swinging to a minimum and head / trunk in neutral position. Do not pull your chest up or crank you head back as that changes the shoulder mechanics quite a bit (see video I posted above).

I have a few new blisters. :( I have lathered my hands up with a product called "winnies rip fix" so I can be back practicing the pull ups on Friday. This stuff heals your hands really fast (better then "new skin" or neosporin). Next goal 15 in a row.

That video was great. Have the link to the other 2?

I'm getting in a little late with this topic, but I've been wanting to hit 20 pull ups in one set for the past few months, but stuck at around 15-17 a set. I do them at least twice a week, but I'm mostly not reaching my goal due to putting back on a few pounds AND needing help with my technique/form. Fiddleman..thanks for the video links and I'm going to study them to see if I can hit my 20 rep set of pull ups as well as some of the other pull up challenges.

Today's workout has sets of 12 pull-ups. I am going to do my best to do 12 in a row.

Deadlift

10-10-10-8-6

50%-60%-65%-75%-80%

then

5 Rounds for Time:

400m Run

12 Alternating Pistols

12 Pullups

I've also considered trying the dead lifts barefoot today. First time. While I am not sure how well this works for me, I have read it works for a lot of others, including the really great lifters of past.

That video was great. Have the link to the other 2?

If you mean the two on pull-up virtuosity, here they are:

Part I- http://journal.crossfit.com/2012/01/pullupvirtuosityp1.tpl

Part II- http://journal.crossfit.com/2012/02/pullupvirtuosityp2.tpl

I learned quite a bit from these. A lot.

Edited by Fiddleman

Found this resource today:

http://www.beyondstrengthperformance.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/The-Pull-up-Manifesto6.pdf

Any title that has manifesto in it has to be good, right? :)

I've just skimmed it as just found it a few minutes ago and will read it tonight.

Off to do my workout now! Pull-ups, here I come.

Added 60 pull-ups today by completing above run, piston and pull-up workout in 16 min. I started using my lats much more today and found pull-ups were much easier and powerful than trying to use traps, delts and biceps.