Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

January-February 2014 pullup challenge

Anyone want to do a pull-up challenge with me during January-February 2014?

I found the following link:

http://www.50pullups.com

This looks practical enough to work through the month. You progressively work your way up to 50 unbroken strict pull-ups. A strict pull-up is all upper body and grip strength. I anticipate this might be a 2 month challenge to complete the program defined on the linked page based on number of cycles and rest days.

I can do about 5 strict pull ups in a row and about 10 in a row if they are kipping. I would like to do 25 strict in a row and 100 kipping in a row. Kipping pull-ups are more about timing and coordination rather then raw upper body strength, but still require good grip strength which translates into strong forearms.

It would be great to have some folks participate so we can motivate each other. I still dread the thought of a cross fit workout that calls for sets of 40 pull-ups over a couple rounds (had one last week). I want to enjoy doing pull-ups. Even if you think can't do a pull-up this is still the time to jump in and take on this challenge. It is for anyone who has some desire to get better at pull-ups and looking to build a strong upper body.

Go ahead, try the challenge. You will come out the other end appreciating the fact you made it. It will be hard, but totally worth it.

Fiddle I'm gonna try this. As of now I can't do any pull-ups. And never have. So if I can get 1 by the end of the challenge that will be a victory.

excellent. I am glad to have you in the challenge.

I am the same way with unassisted full handstand push-ups. The strength is just not there in my shoulders to lift my head up off the ground. I am still working on the basic hand stand. That is, to support my body upside down with my arms in a locked out position, not worrying about range of motion yet. Tried again yesterday but still could not even lift head off mat a millimeter. It was sadly humiliating. :)

In the meantime, I am working through a progression to get from 0 to 10:

http://www.crossfitlondon.ca/wp/zero-to-10-handstand-pushups-hspu/

I am good at box handstand push-ups (step 3). Have been for several months now. In a few more months, I am hoping to do a full set of 10 handstand push-ups unassisted (step 10). In the meanwhile, I am going to practice the handstand push-ups on the side with this pull-up challenge so I can do my first unassisted handstand push-up in the same way you are working towards doing your first pull-up.

Perhaps I should be working on practicing heavier shoulder to overhead presses because, according to my coach, the movements are the same except inverted from each other. A set of 10 shoulder to overhead presses are a challenge for me also at any meaningful weight (eg 95-115 lb) so doing a handstand push-up requires essentially a 180 lb inverted shoulder to overhead press. Yikes! I need some spinach right about now. :)

Yeah handstand push-ups will probably never be something I can do. Overhead presses absolutely kill me, and I've never had any real strength in it. I'm sure my technique could use some real help. At this point every time I try it on my own I end up with a shoulder injury.

I saw that push up challenge and was planning on doing it as well on alternating days. I can do a few push-ups but would love to increase that number. I thought I was going to do it on the same day as the pull ups.....LOL....no way. I tried it last night after the pull ups and fell on my face after 2 push-ups.

I have a very long term goal of a pull-up…still on ring rows though. I'll cheer.

I am totally in! I just started doing unassisted pull ups last week. This will be awesome to progress with. Start tomorrow?

Oh, forgot. I am a gym freak, 1.5 hours a day of HIIT training minimum 5 days a week. I struggled with results until I started hammering push ups and pull ups. Wow! Results started coming out of the woodwork. Shoulders, chest and arms are getting big and ripped. Love it. I do over 60 varying types or push ups daily with planking mixed in and pull ups (was assisted until last week on these) and 30 burpees with a push up in the motion carrying 2 thirty lb dumbells (no joke). Core and upper body strength is incredible. Every movement I make I can feel the flex. Awesomely powerful and I luv that I can manipulate my body weight with my own strength.

I am totally in! I just started doing unassisted pull ups last week. This will be awesome to progress with. Start tomorrow?

that's awesome! Start whenever you wish. I will be starting after the new year.

I will start then as well. Keep other honest. :-)

After doing day 1 my abs are killing me. They are so sore. I haven't done any direct an work since recovering from my TT. I'm feeling it today. I'm surprised at the areas a that are sore. Even my pecs are sore.

After doing day 1 my abs are killing me. They are so sore. I haven't done any direct an work since recovering from my TT. I'm feeling it today. I'm surprised at the areas a that are sore. Even my pecs are sore.

Be careful if there is any risk of ab work following the TT. If it is just soreness from unused muscles, it will most likely feel better in 2-3 days. I have also found glutamine (in bcaa powder) helps in addition to contrast showers. I am not sure how much a roller would help on your front. I know the roller helps me recover my traps, delts and lats faster as we do a lot of core and upper body work, day after day, month after month. Maybe the contrast showers would help you.

An interesting thing happened today. I did a really hard upper body workout on Tuesday where my delts and traps were very strained yesterday and this morning. I was not sure if I was going to get through the hard workout today. There were lots of movements that required traps, delts and lays from knees to elbows, to push presses to wall ball throws. I also did 1000 m of rowing as a warm up before getting into mobility stretching. After the workout, the strain was mysteriously gone. I am thinking about why this could be. Would it be that the use of the muscles and ligaments today released their tightness that caused the strain? Would it be that the endorphins from the workout is masking the pain and I will really feel it tomorrow? Not sure.

What are your thoughts.

Lactic acid build up that you flushed away with use? Not sure but I have experienced similar. Usually a sore muscle feels better more quickly after some use rather than rest.

I wasn't expecting my core to be used quite so much on the pullups. Just goes to show I need to give my core more attention.

One step closer towards this challenge. I did 60 pull ups today kipping with the smallest band we had as part of the following workout:

15 Minutes to find heavy Clean & Jerk

then

For time:

Row 500 Meters

30 Pull-Ups

20 Thrusters (95/65 lb)

10 Muscle-Ups (Sub bar muscle ups or 2 x ring dips)

20 Thrusters

30 Pull-Ups

Row 500 Meters

Time: 17:23

I did ring dips instead of muscle ups because, hey, who can do a muscle up anyways. :) I wish the pull ups were easier. This challenge will help with that.

Anyone else try some pull ups yet. I know I am a day early starting the challenge, but I have an excuse. They were in the WOD.