Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The 'No Restriction' Support Thread

There aren't many of us - so far, I think it's me, Patticake and Mommashari who feel they have no restriction.

I also saw someone called Alice (I think) who said the same thing but now I cant find her :-(

If you're in the same boat, let's all stay in touch and see if we can share info that might help us to get the bottom of the problem.

Here's my very brief story; band removed and RNY done on 10/10/13.

No restirction, no dumping, no foods I can't tolerate (although I've gone off Breakfast cereal).

I had an x-ray last week to look at stoma and stomach size - all seems 'normal' and yet my dietician nearly fainted when I told him i could easily eat a whole sandwich for lunch.< /p>

No feedback from surgery team since the x-ray so i eamiled them today - no reply!

Starting to feel like I might have just wasted a lot of money.

L x

I was a sleeve patient but I have zero restriction.

I had good restriction in the beginning and lost all of my weight by 6 months, ironically that was when I noticed a change in restriction....by 18 months the restriction all gone.

Needless to say nearly all my weight has been regained...I'm seeking a revision right now.

Xxx

There has to be some reason why there are no restrictions.

I cannot speak for the bypass but with the sleeve I really do believe that it's a combination of boughie size, the shape of the sleeve and the fundus.

My new surgeon is going to look via an upper GI on Monday 23rd to have a look...I'll post the outcome when I find out...the findings could shed some light.

I would like to say one thing though....I didn't regain all this weight just because I lost the restriction...I have hypothyroidism that has been problematic over the last 2 years and I didn't help the situation either...as soon as I realized any form of restriction had ceased I should pulled the reigns in...but I guess old habits and all that.

The more I think about this, the more simple it gets.

Those of us who don't feel restriction have pouches that are just too big to make any (or very little) difference.

The pouch is guess work for the surgeon, unlike with the sleeve where they use a bougie and sew around it to create a fairly uniformed sleeve, depending on the size of the bougie used.

There are several articles out there that say the size of the new stomach is a major factor in the success or failure of bypass surgery.

Given this, and the fact that the first 6 months are the most important in weight loss surgery and the fact that the pouch will stretch over time (according to veterans on this site), I have a question ...

If your surgeon were to offer you a revision to reduce the size of the pouch further, would you do it? Would you put yourself through another surgery?

The more I think about this, the more simple it gets.

Those of us who don't feel restriction have pouches that are just too big to make any (or very little) difference.

The pouch is guess work for the surgeon, unlike with the sleeve where they use a bougie and sew around it to create a fairly uniformed sleeve, depending on the size of the bougie used.

There are several articles out there that say the size of the new stomach is a major factor in the success or failure of bypass surgery.

Given this, and the fact that the first 6 months are the most important in weight loss surgery and the fact that the pouch will stretch over time (according to veterans on this site), I have a question ...

If your surgeon were to offer you a revision to reduce the size of the pouch further, would you do it? Would you put yourself through another surgery?

The sleeve can be revised to a gastric bypass apparently and subject to some more test that's what has been offered (subject to insurance approval).

There is a band they can apply to the sleeve but it's another restrictive operation and as I have severe gastritis I can really have that. As for reducing the size of the actual sleeve, I most definitely be up for that too. But again it's restrictive so I might not get that.

So Yes, I would put myself through it again if I get the all clear health wise. I do have some tests to rule out some other conditions I might have.

So, how about you? What are your plans? Are you still losing weight? Regardless of the size of the pouch, I wonder about the mal absorptive side of your procedure.

Xxx

I just read this article and posted on Bougie Size thread but I think it might be useful information here too.

http://www.bariatricnews.net/?q=news/1197/sleeve-gastrectomy-best-practices-published

Consensus paper created to avoid problems often experienced in the learning curve

Based on experience from almost 13,000 operations in 24 centres

90% agree: LSG is a valid procedure both stand-alone and for successful, but complicated, gastric bands

Recommendations include using a bougie above 32F to size sleeve, and to completely mobilise the fundus, to avoid complications.